Classic Shell 4.0

xpclient

How about this concept Start Menu?: (Note: It's not a screenshot of a particular style like the rest of the screenshots, this one is only a concept of putting 'Programs' in the main menu. No promises that such a menu will make it into Classic Shell.) It's almost full screen to keep your programs 1 click away but not truly fullscreen ;) It will leave some space to its top and right to close it. And of course clicking the Start button or taskbar will close it too.

7H64WyC.png

Edit: Screenshot #2:

What if it was resizable from the right edge so the user could choose to show just 1 or 2 columns instead of all?

Mannsfa.png

Edited by xpclient

I don't like it. It fills again the screen, so I could also use the Metro Fullscreen crap.

Hmm. Yes, it was inspired by the Start screen :) That is why the compact Windows 7 style and other compact styles will always remain available for those who prefer it. :) This (if it gets approved by Ivo) will be optional. The idea is to use more of the screen to show everything and reduce number of clicks/hovers to get to the program using the mouse. While it does increase clutter, it has key differences from the Start screen. It won't touch the screen edges completely or cover taskbar, so you can close it by clicking anywhere outside on 3 sides of the menu (top, right or bottom).

I hate when they started enforcing reboot upon installation which is unnecessary

Who're 'they'? Enforcing reboot? Where? What? :) If a reboot is required, it's what Windows Installer determines falsely. Though you never need to reboot to update or reinstall Classic Shell if you close in-use apps like Explorer. The Windows Installer's Restart Manager even automatically does it for you. Edited by xpclient

that's why I don't like it and will NEVER use it.

I don't like it either. I prefer v3.6.7 I don't want to deal with StartScreen or hot corners at all.

You can rest easy that Classic Shell is never ever going to force any design choice on users or remove any currently available options. :) It's just a prototype/mockup that may or may not make it as a 4th style. Btw 3.9.0/4.0 beta users, do you like the current beta? :) Feel free to leave any feedback in the Classic Shell 4.0 beta section of the forum.

Edited by xpclient

I hate when they started enforcing reboot upon installation which is unnecessary

Who're 'they'? Enforcing reboot? Where? What? :)

who ever makes it

previous versions didn't need reboot, new ones do

Who're 'they'? Enforcing reboot? Where? What? :)

who ever makes it

previous versions didn't need reboot, new ones do

I am on its team. Windows Installer wrongly claims it needs a reboot. Can you show a screenshot where it asks for a reboot? You have to close Windows Explorer and IE windows though before updating if you installed the Classic Explorer and Classic IE components. It integrates with Windows' Restart Manager to restart Explorer.exe and other in-use running programs automatically. If you installed just the Start Menu, then that definitely doesn't require a reboot.

Btw how are you updating? Are you installing the new version over the existing one (recommended way) or uninstalling and reinstalling the latest (which will also preserve all your settings)?

that's why I don't like it and will NEVER use it.

I don't like it either. I prefer v3.6.7 I don't want to deal with StartScreen or hot corners at all.

You can rest easy that Classic Shell is never ever going to force any design choice on users or remove any currently available option.

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Thank you, Sir.

New "Windows 7" menu style that replicates the look and feel of the Windows 7 start menu

the programs show in a tree inside the main menu

search results and jump lists show inside the main menu

dedicated shutdown button

the unparalleled customizability you've come to expect from Classic Shell

I LOVE THIS PART, though. :thumbup

Can't wait for the final version.

After installing classicshell start menu on a couple of computers, now a lot of people with brand new laptops with Win8 on it want this on their laptop as well.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Edited by Win2k3EE

Another satisfied "customer" today. My friend LOVES classicshell. He just bought a laptop today and came straight to me to "fix" it.

Thank you again. Can't wait for v4.0. :thumbup

If v4.0 will replicate the exact startmenu of Win7 you'll make my day.

:yes: