AMD FX-6300 processor - worrying temperatures

Phaenius

My only problem in this case bonestonne is you and your arrogance. And that's a very easy fix for this. Ignore you. You can take your 15 dollars per hour and stick it. You're no use for me, so far I only heard insults or crap advice from you (like putting the sink on your forehead, etc.). I won't insist anymore. All those products I've been using are not the cheapest, in fact beyond the middle specs range, yet you rush to catalog everything as crap, basically denying the work of professionals, who designed and tested the products. So far, in all your infinite wisdom, you haven't thought of figure it out if the temps are really there (could be erroneously reported) or to even ask me what are the temperatures inside my room. And those are basic things. Without a proper air conditioning system, you can't have lower temperatures on the CPU than the ambient temperature. And that's what the mighty (and praised) Core Temp is saying to me. CPU cores' temperatures are lower than room temperature. Cool, huh ?

You say I haven't tested, removing fans, closing door, etc. That means you didn't read my last post. A PC case isn't exactly a vacuum machine. Fans are not that powerful and air not directed through special ducts for the door to stay shut. FYI, I did tested. Temperatures are higher with door closed, because the two 92 mm fans at the side have just a very little air intake on the side panel. And case fans controllers are not cheap. A 6-7 way, automatic control, LCD screen controller may go around 70-80 dollars, if you buy it separately. Tell me a motherboard that can control at least 3 case fans (one at the side, one at the front and one at the back). But you need one at the top usually as well. The real knowledge is to work with reasonable budget and stay within specs, otherwise I would have fitted a freon cooling system on the CPU. Take that, heat !

Well, outside of a liquid nitrogen cooled overclocking rig, I'm not aware of any machines at all that are capable of running below ambient temps.

Take for example the ambient temperature of my house. 73F/22.8C, cooled by a very well maintained central air conditioning system. My CPUs idle at 36C and that is considered extremely cool for a pair of E2620's that are less than 4 inches apart physically, with two coolers with even less space apart than that.

I may very well be arrogant, but you're simply ignorant. I gave you a lot of advice, but instead of doubting that maybe, just maybe you have bad hardware in your computer, you simply tell me I'm not listening. Who's not listening? No, I'm not going to comb through your posts because they aren't well thought out and are poorly organized and difficult to follow because you think you know so much. If your case is so special, why don't you tell us what it is, or better yet, post a picture of your computer as it is right now? I'd love to see it. I'll post a picture of mine too if you think that would be fair. Besides, your case has so many 80mm fans, why is that? 120-140mm is the norm, and rightfully so.

The products I use certainly are not the cheapest either, but Arctic Cooling CPU heatsinks? What is this, 2002? There are so many better choices, and even better, they're in the same price range.

Edited by bonestonne

@bonestonne - give it up.

Several of us "arrogant" (knowledgeable) members have tried with Phaenius before and no longer respond.

...and insisted we were WRONG!

(...until he found out we were RIGHT - see my "dumb as a rock Sound Engineer" posts and his last post.)

I suggest you do it as well. After all, you don't want to get "reported". ;)

@submix8c, Thanks for reminding me that this is the same guy. How could I have forgotten?

Based on some of his previous posts about his prior sound issues, it is extremely unlikely that he will ever pull his computer out of wherever he has it wedged to do or check anything at all inside his rig, such as reapply his thermal paste, check for any obstruction or anything rubbing on a fan, check for a failed fan, etc.

He is right that it is a physical impossibility for the registered temperature to read lower than ambient temperature if the software (Core temp) and hardware (temp sensor) are operating correctly. So one of them is wrong, but which one? Phaenius, per his usual approach, seems to want to blame the software, even though it is well respected, is highly recommended, and has been suggested for use by several members here, since that way he doesn't have to drag his rig out and take it apart and possibly leave something disconnected when he puts it back together, as he has done in the past. So we can suggest other software for him to try, or he can just uninstall and re-install Core temp in case something just got borked somehow. But this really sounds like a hardware issue, after all he admits that part of the hardware problem is an intermittently faulty fan controller, and I truly believe that the temperature sensing issue is hardware related as well. I would start with cleaning (he hates that word, LOL) the CPU and reapplying good thermal paste as a start and closely checking all the wiring to all the fans and the controller. Since he knows the fan controller is iffy, I would also go along with bonestonne's suggestion to minimize the number of fans running and only use the on-board controller temporarily. I don't have any problem with Phaenius's assertion that more fans are better, within reason, but I feel it is more important to first be able to get correct and accurate temperature readings before then trying to figure out how to get the best/lowest temperature. After all, if your temperature readings are not accurate, how will you really know whether whatever else you are doing is helping or not?

But if he is not willing to do any hardware tests or modifications as we are suggesting to help him solve his problem. then I am out of here.

Cheers and Regards

Well, outside of a liquid nitrogen cooled overclocking rig, I'm not aware of any machines at all that are capable of running below ambient temps.

Thermoelectric cooling (Peltier) based cooling too, plus there are self-cooling surface techniques as well that go under the ambient temperature (still not real common but it's there).

But if he is not willing to do any hardware tests or modifications as we are suggesting to help him solve his problem. then I am out of here.

And with that, we will close this topic and leave it as it is. If the OP simply ignores the human factor, then there is nothing we can do for him/her.

CLOSED