StartIsBack.Next test toy

Tihiy

The Height is what matters there, it looks fine but when you adjust the Search Box pane it should not effect the LogOff Pane, the width on the other hand is ignored on the Open Box, this is the same on the native start menu as well, it will only go by the width set by the Programs List.
I still don't understand how should search (openbox) look when searchbox and logoff haves have different height. Only clipping or holes come to mind. Or you intend to give them same height in their search state?
OK I tested this a bit more and the default Pane Size does work but unchecking the UserPicture:Bool does not remove it, One strange bug I did notice is the places list is not reading the content margin for the top only, left, right and bottom content margins work fine though.
Yep, confirmed this. Top margin for folders pane should be added to userpic height then.
A few other things I noticed was the sleep missing in the LogOff options
That could happen on Windows 7.
the spacing between the Icon and the text on the programs list is out by 2px
Don't see this.
and the Places List Item Hover content margins are out by 2px on all sides making the button look smaller and making each item 4px closer to each other on the list resulting in it looking squashed up.
Don't see this either. Yep. Edited by Tihiy

and the Places List Item Hover content margins are out by 2px on all sides making the button look smaller and making each item 4px closer to each other on the list resulting in it looking squashed up.
Don't see this either. Yep.

OK I found out what is causing the Places List item Hover issue, it is being effected by the IconTitleFont:Font size in system metrics, if you make the default size smaller it makes the button smaller and changes the spacing. For some reason even though I added my font properties to PlacesList:ListView and StartMenuCompositedMFU::ListView it still changed the size of the button without effecting the text size but this is only seen with SIB, in the native menu it doesn't matter what size you set that font the button still remains the same size.

The Height is what matters there, it looks fine but when you adjust the Search Box pane it should not effect the LogOff Pane, the width on the other hand is ignored on the Open Box, this is the same on the native start menu as well, it will only go by the width set by the Programs List.
I still don't understand how should search (openbox) look when searchbox and logoff haves have different height. Only clipping or holes come to mind. Or you intend to give them same height in their search state?

OK here is another example of how it should work and how yours is working.

2nqfifd.jpg

Edited by MrGRiM

OK here is another example of how it should work and how yours is working.

OK but how it looks in when you search? All programs button is still visible or what fills the place above search box pane?

Edited by Tihiy

My setup with StartIsBack.Next test toy Post 3 of 3:

Shut Down Windows Button:

http://www.msfn.org/board/uploads/post-378787-0-11548900-1371493512_thumb.jpg

Tihiy StartIsBack.Next test toy.exe is cool, as a independent exe.

NOTES:

Using windows 8 enterprise x64 and Aero Glass for Win8 RC3 BY bigmuscle.

All shown features in pictures, run from WinX Menu, even StartIsBack.Next test toy.exe.

Edited by ace2

Updated toy: various minor fixes and improvements.

I think I'm done with toy for now. I've completed first integrated StartIsBack.Next alpha build and it rocks - it actually uses less resources than native Windows 8 start menu - less memory, objects, threads, handles, I/O operations.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Tihiy

Can you tell me what the minor fixes and improvements are please.

Tihiy can you make it so StartIsBack.Next auto closes please, as this would make StartIsBack.Next feel more native.

Thanks for the update.

Edited by ace2

Tihiy can you make it so StartIsBack.Next auto closes please, as this would make StartIsBack.Next feel more native.

ace2, as has already been stated, this test toy was not meant to feel native. Stop asking for these types of "improvements". When Tihiy is ready to make an app that is meant for general use, rest assured that it will feel every bit as native as something straight from MS, only better.

Cheers and Regards

Updated toy: various minor fixes and improvements.

I think I'm done with toy for now. I've completed first integrated StartIsBack.Next alpha build and it rocks - it actually uses less resources than native Windows 8 start menu - less memory, objects, threads, handles, I/O operations.

Stay tuned.

Sounds good mate, tested it again on 7 and I can see the User Picture frame is now disabled when meant to be and the all programs button now displays correctly, also see the places list content margins are now fixed, still no joy with the different default pane sizes for LogOff and Open Box though :( also don't know if it's just me but the animations seemed a bit more glitchy in this version, when switching to the all programs view or expanding the places list there seemed to be some flashing images mostly around the search area but I also noticed around the LogOff and Places List, you need to click the more programs button and the expand arrow a fair bit to see the glitch, it happens in the default Aero theme as well as my custom themes.

User picture frame is working on windows 8 enterprise x64, with default Aero theme, and user picture frame can be modded as well.

Edited by ace2

don't know if it's just me but the animations seemed a bit more glitchy in this version, when switching to the all programs view or expanding the places list there seemed to be some flashing images mostly around the search area but I also noticed around the LogOff and Places List, you need to click the more programs button and the expand arrow a fair bit to see the glitch, it happens in the default Aero theme as well as my custom themes.

That's quite possible since painting is redone in this version. Updated for double-buffering; please retest. And I promise i'll return to different heights issue - eventually.
Can you now implement my request to make the startmenu larger when clicking on "all programs" (the same size like when you search for programs/files)?
Well, this still looks confusing and skins don't quite allow that. I'll try to think of something. Edited by Tihiy