It Works!

nostaglic98

Well, after some work yesterday afternoon (08th June, 2013), I am back with Windows 98. My Processor arrived, but the heatsink has not (and I am stilling digging around looking for a floppy disk to flash the BIOS), so that it waiting.

Windows 98SE has been very stable, especially after installing the latest version of the Service Pack available for SE (3.24). I also discovered you can no longer download IE6-SP1/MP9 via the Microsoft applet that connects to servers. Nevertheless, I had a local copy of Media-Player 7 (the Me version?) and was able to use the MDGx website to find the SP2 upgrade to bring IE to 5.5 (also curious to note Wikipedia doesn't display correct after upgrading to IE 5.5). IE has been far more stable than I ever remember it out of the box, and wasn't scalding me with "This application has performed and illegal error" messages like it always used to.

I managed to get SeaMonkey 1.1.19 installed. No - I haven't installed KernelEx and don't really plan to, SeaMonkey is working absolutely fine. I had to disable images to sign onto the website, but I found a version of Ad-Block Plus I could use to stop ads blocking me from signing in.

I also discovered the following commandments from Windows 98: "Thou shalt not leave the Netgear WG111v1 USB Wi-Fi connected during bootup, for fear of hanging after the splash-screen. Instead, thou shalt connect it to any available USB port at the Windows Networking logon prompt."

And

"Thou shalt exit the Netgear application as soon as possible after logon, for fear of causing peculiar Explorer behaviour."

The computer is happily connected to the network, and required only me putting in the right Workgroup name. Didn't need to use the XP Network Setup wizard, more or less zero-config :)

I shall include a screen-shot, not to worry, I WILL be adding extra functionality to the system during today, after a complete backup of the system's state (so I can use the "pcrestor" function if anything goes south on me).

- Note that I have also ordered the graphics card, a nVidia GeForce FX-5500 (AGP 8x) graphics card (which will hopefully allow me to use the CORRECT resolution on my monitor) and an enSoniq ES1370, a PCI soundcard supposedly based on the SoundBlaster16 - which will hopefully eliminate the crackly startup sound - the only sound that has 'trouble.'

post-351666-0-37633500-1370649594_thumb.

Edited by nostaglic98

Well, after some work yesterday afternoon (08th June, 2013), I am back with Windows 98. My Processor arrived, but the heatsink has not (and I am stilling digging around looking for a floppy disk to flash the BIOS), so that it waiting.

I was able to update the bios on all my computers through pure DOS mode. Copy the bios files to the HDD, navigate to dos and run the necessary app. It has worked everytime. Sometimes users need to improvise and I'm pretty good at that :w00t:
Windows 98SE has been very stable, especially after installing the latest version of the Service Pack available for SE (3.24).
Believe it or not, I wasn't going to release SP 3.24 until I had added IE and Direct X. I found some bugs when I was doing a clean install, and it annoyed the HELL out of me. I know the SP is far from flawless, but its a lot further from troublesome. I didn't notice any bugs, but................................

Just for the record, you can normally use grub4dos and a floppy image to flash the BIOS, and/or a plain "CD from floppy".

A quick and easy way to make such a CD is hinted here ;) :

just combine the header with the floppy image and burn to CD.

jaclaz

Jaclaz said;

"Just for the record, you can normally use grub4dos and a floppy image to flash

the BIOS, and/or a plain "CD from floppy"."

Mmmm.., but is this }ASUS{ mobo, P4P800-MX , yes? and ASUS mobo

often have ... their own quirky software methods for flashing THEIR

BIOSes. Therefore, in case of ASUS, I would advise reading the

ASUS manual for their mobo? (ASUS P4P800-MX ,= e1696_p4p800-mx.pdf )

and proceed using the ASUS manuals instructions for flashing BIOS.

_

[and as other OP posts suggest he is not newbie, I would suggest OP

look for a second SAME BIOS chip, perhaps from a gutter 'dead' unwanted

mobo, to use as a 'backup/ready replacement' chip into which he could

flash another BIOS image for that mobo..

(e.g. P4P800-MX has removeable/replaceable BIOS chip)

(OP in Australia?, where it is not unusual to find computers 'kerbside')]

Edited by buyerninety

, but is this }ASUS{ mobo, P4P800-MX , yes? and ASUS mobo

often have ... their own quirky software methods for flashing THEIR

BIOSes.

Well, as long as the "quirky" whatever comes as a floppy disk image running *any* real mode OS (please read as DOS, FreeDOS or similar) the grub4dos or El-Torito boot CD approach will work alright.

Really? :unsure:

I thought our down under friends were too busy with other activities :

meanwhile_in_09.jpg

funny_demotivational_posters_48.jpg

to throw away PC's along the roads....

jaclaz

No matter WHAT anybody else tells you, do not under ANY circumstances flash a BIOS from ANYTHING other than Pure Dos (if such a flash file is available). You MAY brick the PC. AFAIK, newer PC's do NOT have "interchangeable" BIOS chips - unless you want to solder a socket onto it. ;)

Jaclaz said;

"Well, as long as the "quirky" whatever comes as a floppy disk image running

*any* real mode OS (please read as DOS, FreeDOS or similar) the grub4dos

or El-Torito boot CD approach will work alright."

+Ahhhh, but is found long past by maker of UNIFLASH software (eeprom flasher

software now no longer maintained [but possibly extended by clannish Russians])

that some motherboard makers use 'non-usual' methods to activate/deactivate

access (flashing) }into{ the BIOS chip on their motherboards, particularly

in the case of BIOS chips that are FWH or LPC capable interface.

Therefore, a same eeprom BIOS chip may be flashable with 'generic' bios flasher

software in many other different makers motherboards, but fail to flash using

that 'generic' software in a 'particular makers' motherboard, because that

particular maker uses 'non-usual' method to flash - thereby requiring that

particular makers 'flashing software' to successfully flash the BIOS chip.

To be clear, this may not just be matter of software, but the 'particular

makers' (e.g. ASUS) 'flashing software' gains its access using 'non-usual'

method into certain pins of the BIOS chip, which only the 'particular makers'

flashing software expects/is ready to do (for sure, access methods that the

motherboards Southbridge is 'set up for/capable of', is additional factor also.)

(Analogy - most houses you gain access to by 'usual' method through door,

but maybe one particular house you can't because housemaker disables door

by locking it and only allows access by alternate 'non-usual' method of

climbing through window! Why? To force you to use their preferred access!

i.e. 'their flashing software'.)

[This is probably getting WAAAAY off topic however.. Jaclaz to explore further

refer UNIFLASH TXT of need for an "-ASUS" switch in that software e.g.;

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:8JkSapB3vjIJ:http://www.rainbow-software.org/uniflash.txt%2Buniflash.txt&complete=0&hl=en-AU&gbv=2&ct=clnk

]

Edited by buyerninety

@buyerninety

You can stamp your feet as long and as hard as you want :w00t: , but if the flashing program runs under DOS, it runs under DOS ;) and DOS has no way to distinguish a floppy from a floppy image loaded to memory by grub4dos or from an El-Torito floppy emulation.

If the recovery bootblock is used instead, then that is another thing.

If the flashing program does NOT run under DOS (i.e. it is a self-booting file, a windows .exe :ph34r: or *whatever*), again it's another thing.

jaclaz

Just to slap another one on you...

I HAVE used Uniflash on "older" Mobo's.

And... Do you REALLY believe -ALL- BIOS updates are "complete"? (Thought not...)

AGAIN! I have TWO "bricks" sitting beside me because of "partial" BIOS plus done-in-Windows! (Nya-nya!) SAD part is, unknown to me, they WOULD have run under (safely) DOS. There's an EXACT MODEL (used) for $150 within 1 mile of me, so figure it out!.

As the saying goes, "buyerninety" beware! ;)

to throw away PC's along the roads....

jaclaz

The computers are put out on the kerb for quarterly "council cleanup" days when household items not suitable for the weekly garbage are disposed of. Much of this stuff gets recycled. You always see guys driving around in trucks picking up scap metal and car batteries. If you expect to find a computer you have to be lucky, they don't last on the kerb long.

I was able to update the bios on all my computers through pure DOS mode. Copy the bios files to the HDD, navigate to dos and run the necessary app. It has worked everytime.

Is that the option of booting into DOS from the start menu? I'd need some guidance if I were doing that, because I'd hate to brick the computer. Personally, I would much rather use a Floppy and the method prescribed by ASUS (And yes, it is a P4P800-MX).

Also, I haven't noticed any bugs. Only thing I've actually noticed is all the processor information disappearing from "System Information." I'd also like to get a picture to fill in that blank next to it - since it looks awful bare!

The only "bug" I have is the Wi-Fi one (and I will attempt to explain it here). When the W98 splashscreen shows, it will do some loading, screen "flicks" black, then back, Wi-Fi light flashes a couple of times than stays steady. It repeats (flashes/steadies) this just before finishing the loading sequence. On most occasions, it will keep flashing, and Windows will hang just after the splash screen, with some "physcadelic" green in the top-left corner. Rebooting yields the "Your computer was not started properly last time. This menu will let you choose the useless configurations," Windows boots into 640x480, 16 (or 2, if you choose) colours. Reboot again (WITHOUT THE Wi-Fi), and all is well. So, I don't plug in the Wi-Fi till I get to the logon screen, and all is well. Machine still gets the internet and network drives, but the Netgear utility loads, and I have to close it (to prevent odd fonts and behaviours in Explorer). Yes, I've tried using Msconfig, but it seems to stick itself right back in there :realmad:

On a side-note, regarding this PC and my "server" (Not AD/DHCP yet), I'm thinking of running distributed.net or something of the like, when I'm not on there (Not around the clock, just when idle for some time). My question about this is regarding bandwidth: How many MB/GB of data should I expect this to use on my internet connection? Is it lots or only a few - dozen? Reason being, we only have 12GB of data (and I am working at getting that changed - we can get a MUCH better deal with the same provider, just that getting it done means changing a host of other services that are bundled with the net service...)

@Jaclaz:

No stomping of feet or other such personalizations necessary...

The method (reached via the post) you cited COULD be utilized by the OP, let's see whether he wants to trek down that route.

@submix8c:

you seem to be confused, only nostaglic98 used the word "complete" that you specifically quoted, perhaps readers will take your comments in context of disappointment with your previous, er, non-successful flashes; seriously, please share what specific motherboard(s) did be 'bricked'?

@nostaglic98:

Well, make darn sure you make a BACKUP of the bios, how to is described in your mobo manual, p2-4, 'Crashfree Bios 2'.

Specific information people may want you to tell us: exact Processor you had delivered, everything your BIOS screen shows in CPU Configuration, ditto Chipset, are you using graphics card or plugging VGA cable directly into mobo (has onboard 865GV 'Extreme Graphics 2'), Monitor maker/model (from rear of monitor).

"How many MB/GB of data should I expect this to use on my internet connection"? :wacko:

How long is a piece of string? Without even knowing which distributed net app you'll use... (surely that info is given as an estimate on the particular apps webpage?), remember internet provider download plans are like mobile plans, Unlimited DOES NOT mean unlimited, google is the best way to find out which provider is least likely to shaft you...

There is some misunderstanding as to what I meant about the backup and "complete." I was referring to Microsoft Backup IN Windows 98 (That tool that backups data, system files and the registry), backing up the registry and system after setting up the system the other day. I was NOT referring to the BIOS in any way, shape or form.

@buyerninety - as nostaglic98 said... so please pay more attention as I was speaking BIOS and FYI they are both E521's. Lots of "bricks" due to several BIOS updates actually downloaded via the Dell Update Software - bricks galore (including the C521's). The SUCCESSFUL ones were apparently when run in Pure DOS since they "expand" into RAM to run (OMG!) Mflash (Mitek Flasher) and is therefore NON-standard Flashing and the BIOS embedded is ONLY partial and contains ONLY the portion applicable to the "update". Dell DOES do some "odd" things, e.g proprietary power supplies, towers, RAM, MoBo's (E521/C521 are mBTX), etc etc. Care to argue that? Thought not...

Go ahead and get the BIOS for one and hex-edit it... It CANNOT be "stand-alone" installed and MUST be installed via that fubar-prone file. Argue all you want - it's true. Therefore the argument of ALWAYS (if possible) use a DOS-based BIOS flash! PERIOD! Direct experience.

Not OT - Gigabyte has a facility of updating the BIOS via the (OMG) BIOS and a FlashStick or Floppy!!! Just stick the "stands by itself" BIOS file on it and tell the BIOS to Update. Seems that they see it as a "safer" (alternative) bet.

Jaclaz' post #8 is not "magical" and is quite simple, so why the "trek down that route" comment?

Also bear in mind that THIS PC has been loaded with Win98SE and the Unofficial SP, not to be confused with the OTHER PC... (MAY be a "glitch" in the detecting of the CPU for display in System Properties.)

Edited by submix8c

Sure, I guess that there are some misunderstandings. :unsure:

As I see it:

The OP wrote:

Both PROBLEMCHYLD and myself provided possible alternatives to a "real" floppy drive.

Nothing more, nothing less.

buyerninety raised some doubts on the suggestion I provided and I tried to tell him how his doubts were IMHO not justified/backed up, then he insisted with his doubts and I tried again to explain in more detail why IMHO they were not really an issue.

submix8c (who is still shocked by the nice doorholders he made out of a couple of his Dells :w00t::ph34r: ) provided some further ranting about updating BIOS under Windows (that was never discussed/mentioned/implied before).

Everything seems to me cool enough B) , only some OT has sprung by magic out of the blue (it happens all the time, nothing to worry about :) ).

jaclaz