A bit of necromancy

M()zart

I have resurrected a very old (my very first PC) - K5 100 (133), 16 MB EDO RAM, Trio64V+(86C765).

(Re-)Installed Windows 98 SE, IE6SP1, DirectX MDCU and other MD~ update packs, even Revolutions Pack - everything works great! Revolutions Pack almost doesn't add any slowdowns or memory usage at all! I even can browse web on it (and I'm writing this post from it). I can use Dillo (works OK and fast but has very limited CSS support and no scripts, I'm writing this post in it) or Opera 10.10 (need to install an earlier version) - everything works, but terribly slow and uses pagefile all the time.

I have a question - Everest and AIDA32 identify my motherboard as

Amptron PM-8600A / PCPartner MB-586 VX7 / PCChips M537

and chipset as VIA VT82C580 Apollo VPX (or VP1)

Motherboard ID: 02/19/98-VT82C580VP-UMC8-2A5LAH09C-00

Does it supports SDRAM or it supports only EDO? I have a couple of spare SDRAM sticks, and chipset should support it, but I'm not sure that motherboard does, and I don't want to fry it.

I should probably mention at this junction that 16mb of RAM isn't *quite* enough, even for a lightweight OS such as Windows 98. Microsoft's recommended Minimum is 32mb, so with this in mind, I'm willing to bet your computer was actually designed for: Really fast MS-DOS application (Lol, unlikely), Windows 95 (very likely) or Windows 98 (But "someone" stole some RAM). So I can understand your willingness to upgrade!

After a bit of trawling, the two memory standards you mention are not compatible with one-another, in most cases. Apparently, very few motherboards had support for both, so you can probably try without frying your motherboard (one forum had a user that already installed both together and got "Mixed memory" messages at POST). I still wouldn't recommend it, because who knows how delicate the hardware is now after all these years.

My suggestion: Jump on eBay or find a computer shop that might stock this OR cannibalise another computer, which I don't think is right. Cannibalism is pretty cruel and cold hearted (Lol, just kidding).

• 2 weeks later...

That forum server sql database crash a few days ago really did some damage. There was a bunch of great advice and posts in here. Now it's back to only 2 posts (and back to June 02, etc). Oh well.

That forum server sql database crash a few days ago really did some damage. There was a bunch of great advice and posts in here. Now it's back to only 2 posts (and back to June 02, etc). Oh well.

If more of us participated in the win-98 usenet newsgroups, we wouldn't have this problem where posts get lost forever...