Intel 865 chipset

Rjecina

I believe that there is agreement that Intel 865 is best fully supported chipset for Intel processors and Windows 98 SE.

For us who must run applications requiring Windows 7, dual-boot is the only real option. Because of that my question is:

Has anybody on MSFN solved the problem of how to have sound in Windows 7 ?

If answer is yes can you please write how ?

ASRock 775i65G and all other MBO with this chipset are using Cmedia 9761A 5.1 channel audio CODEC. For more about MBO you can visit site

I'm sorry Rjecina, with all due respect, but even after long consideration, I really cannot understand what did you intend to say when you wrote the sentence below:

For us how want need for few things to use Windows 7 dual-boot bot is only real option.

Could you please kindly elaborate? The part in blue italic is the one I cannot make any sense of.

I am using Intel 865G chipset MBO because of Windows 98 SE, but there is number of programs for which I need Windows 7 so I am having dual boot.

My problem is that I do not have sound on Windows 7 and there is no official drivers Windows 7 drivers for "Cmedia 9761A 5.1 channel audio CODEC".

Yes you can say that this is problem for Windows 7 forum, but in my thinking answer is no.

With time we all will need to have dual boot with Windows 98 SE and Windows 7,8 (or "9") for full compatibility.

My problem is that I do not have sound on Windows 7 and there is no official drivers Windows 7 drivers for "Cmedia 9761A 5.1 channel audio CODEC".

Have you tried using Vista drivers (if they exist) or XP drivers?

With time we all will need to have dual boot with Windows 98 SE and Windows 7,8 (or "9") for full compatibility.

:o

Not me, I'll use Linux first! :lol:

:o

Not me, I'll use Linux first! :lol:

7 maybe. That's where I draw the line. But I'll keep using XP (besides 98SE) for a long time yet.

It still got 50% of the market, and should retain at least half of it for a long time ahead.

Now, this really is more of a thread for the 7 forum, but I'll keep it here for the time being. Let's see whether someone here solved it. I bet editing the inf of a later driver should do the job. At least for XP. But LoneCrusader is right: if there is a Vista driver, that's the best bet for 7 and maybe 8.

We won't really have to. There are two alternatives besides dual-booting ( from a single HDD ).

{1} Have several HDDs in one computer, each disk formatted to different OS, naturally they are only used once at a time. You have an XP disk, Win9x disk, Win7 disk. It takes a couple of minutes to shut down, open the case swap PATA or SATA and power cables, button it up, power-on. This eliminates the complexity of bootloaders and partition quirks.

{2} Have several computers, each configured for different operating systems. With the advent of USB thumbdrives ( sneakernet ) and ethernet NIC there really is little reason not to! This has several huge benefits ...

• A virus attack on one can be managed thoroughly by pulling the infected drive and working on it as a slave in another system.
  • One system can be used to backup another, this is playing the favorable odds that no two systems will die simultaneously. Naturally this does not include disasters like fire or lightning strike ( unless they are unplugged when not in use ).
  • When you have some time-consuming task that ties up a system for a while, you can let it work undisturbed and move on to another. Happens to me all the time. Virus scanning a slaved HDD, full formatting a new 2 TB drive, full Chkdsk on a HDD, system burn-in, diagnostics or benchmark, etc.

What some people do is virus scan without the actual full settings ( every file, period! ) or they do a quick-format, or they try to multi-task at the same time because they have no alternate computer. I never understood that quite frankly.

We won't really have to. There are two alternatives besides dual-booting ( from a single HDD ).

{1} Have several HDDs in one computer, each disk formatted to different OS, naturally they are only used once at a time. You have an XP disk, Win9x disk, Win7 disk. It takes a couple of minutes to shut down, open the case swap PATA or SATA and power cables, button it up, power-on. This eliminates the complexity of bootloaders and partition quirks.

{2} Have several computers, each configured for different operating systems. With the advent of USB thumbdrives ( sneakernet ) and ethernet NIC there really is little reason not to! This has several huge benefits ...

• A virus attack on one can be managed thoroughly by pulling the infected drive and working on it as a slave in another system.
  • One system can be used to backup another, this is playing the favorable odds that no two systems will die simultaneously. Naturally this does not include disasters like fire or lightning strike ( unless they are unplugged when not in use ).
  • When you have some time-consuming task that ties up a system for a while, you can let it work undisturbed and move on to another. Happens to me all the time. Virus scanning a slaved HDD, full formatting a new 2 TB drive, full Chkdsk on a HDD, system burn-in, diagnostics or benchmark, etc.

What some people do is virus scan without the actual full settings ( every file, period! ) or they do a quick-format, or they try to multi-task at the same time because they have no alternate computer. I never understood that quite frankly.

Why limit yourself to dual booting from one HDD. I have 10 in one HDD. My RFDISK Partitioner supports at least 36.

In your first suggestion, swapping cables is probably unnecessary as many BIOSes can select the Boot Drive.

Why limit yourself to dual booting from one HDD. I have 10 in one HDD. My RFDISK Partitioner supports at least 36.

In your first suggestion, swapping cables is probably unnecessary as many BIOSes can select the Boot Drive.

You're right of course. And I'm not trying to talk anyone out of dual, quad, octal, or deca (???) booting. Just mentioning two of many alternatives!

So you got ten working? Way to go Rudy! :thumbup

P.S. there were some questions about last chipsets supporting Win9x and SATA quirks in this thread, I'll bet you probably have some good insight into these limits.

You're right of course. And I'm not trying to talk anyone out of dual, quad, octal, or deca (???) booting. Just mentioning two of many alternatives!

So you got ten working? Way to go Rudy! :thumbup

P.S. there were some questions about last chipsets supporting Win9x and SATA quirks in this thread, I'll bet you probably have some good insight into these limits.

10 just happened to be the number I setup. They consist of:

2 Windows 95

5 Windows 98SE

1 Windows ME

1 Windows XP

1 Windows 8

Windows 9x itself is only capable of handling Legacy mode Hard Disk Controllers. This is typically the PATA ports in a PATA/SATA motherboard. Some motherboards allow Legacy mode to be used with 1 or 2 SATA Drives. Most modern Motherboards use Native, Raid or AHCI Mode for SATA Controllers. If you have Windows 9x Drivers for a specific Motherboard or add-in SATA Card you can use it. Otherwise you will need my SATA Patch to use Native or Raid Mode Controllers. AHCI only Controllers canot be used as they will crash Windows 9x before it can load a Driver.