Need to roll back to IE6 to re-install one program

tlcmd

I have one program which i purchased in the distant past which has to be installed with IE6. It will not install with IE8. Once installed, it works fine when IE8 is reinstalled. I rarely use this program, but when I need it, it is nice to have available.

My Questions: What is the easiest and quickest way to briefly remove IE8 and install IE6?

FYI, the program is Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum and I've had it since at least 2001.

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

tlcmd (aka Dick)

tlcmd@hotmail.com

Not an answer but you could use regmon and/or procmon when launching the installer until it fail to see which registry entries needs to be temporarily modified.

Another option would be to install a clean xp in a virtual machine (so with IE 6) and use installrite to monitor and create an install package of Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum.

I wouldn't even think to remove IE8 on XP, you're most likely going to have problems and to avoid those i would try this in a Virtual machine.

• 2 weeks later...

IE6 For Registration and Updates?

Just get all of the Full Updates available (download them) and install after-the-fact. Skip Registration and AutoUpdates (if available). I have it (all) but don't use it, so try the "Multiple IE" trick to install, apply the Updates, and turn off the Updater functions as they are not worth squat except to "offer" you a newer version.

Various "glitches" with ECDC5 -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811408

I would say "probably" there's a "glitch" with the IE version check since it's requirements were pre-IE7. :unsure: I don't see ANY references to IE in the MSI Installer...

Updates (ignore the "prefix" - that's the "order" of install) -

(1)ecdc_v501_up.exe

(2)ecdc5_01s.exe

(3)Ecdc502c_up.exe

(4)ECDC_v5.02d_up.exe

(5)ecdc_v5.3.5.10_plt_enu.exe

(6)driveup5.3.5v.exe

(7)video_up.exe

(8)photo_up.exe

As I remember, I had to register on Roxio before it would allow selecting to get the Updates.

A forum -

http://forums.support.roxio.com/forum/27-easy-cd-creator-4-and-5/

And right here it specifically states anything GT IE6 "breaks" it -

You might want to find an "alternative" to ECDC5. :unsure: