Modify Win8 File Association

allgames71

Everytime I install Win8 , the default file association all goes to Metro UI associated. I won't use Metro UI at all , instead use the Desktop. So everytime I've to to the [Control Panel[ ... [Programs[ ... [Make a file type always open in a specific program]

It's very annoying. Is there a simple way to let me change all the files association type such as by .reg. I've tried regshot program to get certain file association change registry then import it to the registry , but with fail. As it said program is in use , forbitten ...

I can't thinks of a simple way to solve this program even in the safe mode.

You can use DISM to export/import the file associations

Windows 8: Associate a file Type or protocol with a specific app using GPO (e.g:default mail client for MailTo protocol)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mrmlcgn/archive/2013/02/26/windows-8-associate-a-file-type-or-protocol-with-a-specific-app-using-a-gpo-e-g-default-mail-client-for-mailto-protocol.aspx

• 2 months later...

Has anyone successfully managed to import and activate program/file associations using dism?

I ran a small test with the following xml on an online system, but when I select a .bmp file, Win8 still wants to start the metro app instead of the desktop app.

dism /Online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:Z:\$W8i\$W8-Deploy\test.xml <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><DefaultAssociations>  <Association Identifier=".bmp" ProgId="Paint.Picture" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" />  <Association Identifier=".eml" ProgId="ThunderbirdEML" ApplicationName="Thunderbird" />  <Association Identifier=".wdseml" ProgId="ThunderbirdEML" ApplicationName="Thunderbird" />  <Association Identifier="mailto" ProgId="Thunderbird.Url.mailto" ApplicationName="Thunderbird" /></DefaultAssociations>

If I check the associations via the Default Programs in Control Panel, .bmp is still associated with Fotos instead of Windows Photo Viewer. I also tried enabling the appropriate GPO entry and placing the test.xml in c:\windows\system32 but that doesn't seem to apply to local hosts.

I would like to automate setting the program/file associations during the system build process possibly at the OOBE stage. Anyone know how?

From my trials, activating default file associations on an online system has to be done via the Control Panel or with a customized OEMDefaultsAssociation.xml that is applied during the first boot after installing win8. Doing this via the registry is problematic as mentioned by the OP.

Edited by click-click