USB 3.0, firewire X, SD flash X, on 9x "Future Time"``

ROTS

I am making a topic for discussion, distribution and editing of, USB 3.0 PCI drivers for windows 9X. Already I am seeing many packages in stores, selling what is called USB 3.0. Of course these packages might and most likely will not have support for 9X users, and future computers utilize 3.0 over the REAL USB drives.

I also hope this topic could also be used to talk about firewire and flash alternatives, as many other storage media, not documented, are floating around the world, are lacking driver support for 9x

All USB 3.0 are backwards compatible as per the standard. When connected to USB 2.0 ports they enter "USB 2.1" mode (= compatibility mode), and are generally faster than the fastest true USB 2.0 devices used to be. See my tests in the attached .pdf file. As for PCI (not PCI-e) USB 3.0 add-on boards, there is at least one such board, manufactured by Star Tech, the PCIUSB3S2 (of which I own one)... but it's useless for Win 9x/ME, until some retro-loving programmer develops a driver stack for it.

Pen Drive Performance Tests USB 2 and 3 v2.pdf

All USB 3.0 are backwards compatible as per the standard. When connected to USB 2.0 ports they enter "USB 2.1" mode (= compatibility mode), and are generally faster than the fastest true USB 2.0 devices used to be....

Hmm...

I wonder if they are also "backwards compatible" to USB 1.1 ports? :unsure:

I didn't test it (I still have a USB 1.1 only machine, but I have to restore it to bootability before I can use it for anything... it's a socket super-7 K-6 III machine). I guess so, however, since the standard implies that. If you intend to buy one USB 3.0 device for tests, buy the best of the lot, which is, at the moment, the Kingston DataTraveler Workspace 64 GB (it reports itself as non-removable to NT-family OSes, too, which is unusual, but welcome, albeit irrelevant for 9x/ME). As for the mode, by using USBView one may see, in the "Device Descriptor", bcdUSB = 0x0210 (instead of the usual 0x0200), when in USB 2.0 compatibility mode, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it reported something like 0x0120 (instead of the usual 0x0110 or 0x0100), when on USB 1.x compatibility mode.

Unless I'm mistaken, all USB-3 expansion cards are PCI express (just like SATA 2 and 3).

Does anyone here know of any motherboard with working win-98 drivers for the PCI express bus?

Unless I'm mistaken, all USB-3 expansion cards are PCI express (just like SATA 2 and 3).

Does anyone here know of any motherboard with working win-98 drivers for the PCI express bus?

Some PCI-E Video Cards work on Windows 98 with the NVidia Drivers. I have Patched Drivers for most PCI-E SATA Cards.

There is no support for the PCI Express bus in Win98SE and no vendors supply drivers.

However, at the software level PCI Express is backwards compatible with PCI.

If there are Win98 drivers that support the chip on the board it may work.

I've gotten a PCX5300 and 6600 PCI-Express cards to work in Win98 with standard Nvidia drivers

on a MSI 870S-G54. The product id had to be added to the agp.inf file.

The builtin Realtek RTL8111DL network chip worked with the Windows 98 driver from the Realtek website,

even though the chip is not supported. Unfortunately the driver caused random shutdown problems.

I replaced it with a TP-Link TG-3468 PCI-Express Network Card. It worked fine on the MSI board with

the drivers from the Realtek site.

Edited by petekeller

I fear you actually are mistaken, I'm sorry to say. You wouldn't be so, however if you had read the whole thread as you should... :P because, as I said in post #2:

As for PCI (not PCI-e) USB 3.0 add-on boards, there is at least one such board, manufactured by Star Tech, the PCIUSB3S2 (of which I own one)... but it's useless for Win 9x/ME, until some retro-loving programmer develops a driver stack for it.

There are no drivers whatsoever for the RENESAS (NEC) uPD72020x, and that's the real problem.

The PCIUSB3S2 has been actually superseded by the PCIUSB3S22, the diference being the former used a molex connector for additional power, while the latter uses a SATA power connector instead, all the rest being the same.