WFW3.11 won't start with UMB memory driver, even EMM386

keropi666

Hello!

I have been messing with some really old pcs, a 386DX and a 486DX2 ... both have the same award BIOS btw..

It appears that in both machines 3.11 won't start if a UMB manager is activating UMB blocks. This happens with both EMM386 and TheLastByte managers...

You can get 3.11 to load even with the above managers if you use the "DOS=NOAUTO" value on config.sys, without any HIGH/UMB parameters so DOS loads low. Ofcourse you don't get UMBs even with the managers running but 3.11 boots.

I also tried adding EMMExclude=A000-FFFF to [386enh] or the /D:x switch, neither helped.

I know this is old stuff but if you have any tips I will appreciate it :angel

Thanks in advance! :thumbup

edit: I forgot to add, I am using DOS7.1 (from 98SE) with a FAT32 drive... not so stock but it worked perfect with rloew's fat32 patch on a different 486 that had PCI slots and a way newer BIOS...

Edited by keropi666

There are some things to note about UMBs on modern machines and Windows.

1. You should avoid using UMBs under Windows, since this slows it down somewhat. Have a look at UMBPCI on the web on this.

2. Modern machines use more UMBs then the average 486, so there's less for DOS. UMBPCI will find out what's available.

I generally try to avoid WFW311, sticking with Win311. Still, i don't think there's a lot of changes.

There are some things to note about UMBs on modern machines and Windows.

Hello!

I have been messing with some really old pcs, a 386DX and a 486DX2 ... both have the same award BIOS btw..

It appears that in both machines 3.11 won't start if a UMB manager is activating UMB blocks. This happens with both EMM386 and TheLastByte managers...

:whistle:

jaclaz