Custom Themes broke Windows 8

shaneblack

I had a strange problem today with custom themes, maybe its just me but I installed uxstyle and used some themes which they worked great until today when all the sudden they stopped working. I rebooted windows 8 and it wouldn't load, the screen just kept flashing. I used SHIFT+F8 on boot to get into advanced startup and repair. I restored windows 8 to an earlier date to fix the problem. Now I'm extremely leery of using any custom themes. I tried uxtheme patcher before but it didn't work so I tried uxstyle, I don't know of any other theme patchers but I don't want something that might cause problems like this. My themes were working good until today when I switched back and fourth between an RP style theme and a theme that is windows 8 default style with white tittle text instead of black. They were working good for about three days until this happened. I thought I'd have to re-install windows since the screen kept flashing and I couldn't get to the log in screen. But I found the hot-key to repair windows, Now I fear it might happen again if I try any other themes.

Sounds like uxstyle is not loading correctly, have you installed any new programs or virus apps? I personally use UltraUx and have never had any issues with it and it supports both 32 and 64-bit DP :yes:

I had a strange problem today with custom themes, maybe its just me but I installed uxstyle and used some themes which they worked great until today when all the sudden they stopped working. I rebooted windows 8 and it wouldn't load, the screen just kept flashing. I used SHIFT+F8 on boot to get into advanced startup and repair. I restored windows 8 to an earlier date to fix the problem. Now I'm extremely leery of using any custom themes. I tried uxtheme patcher before but it didn't work so I tried uxstyle, I don't know of any other theme patchers but I don't want something that might cause problems like this. My themes were working good until today when I switched back and fourth between an RP style theme and a theme that is windows 8 default style with white tittle text instead of black. They were working good for about three days until this happened. I thought I'd have to re-install windows since the screen kept flashing and I couldn't get to the log in screen. But I found the hot-key to repair windows, Now I fear it might happen again if I try any other themes.

Okay I got them working again, used UXThemePatcher and no problems. Its should work fine from now on. I don't know why Uxstyle just messed up but it does say experimental.

Actually the UXStyle service just stopped working. All you have to do is restart it up in task manager and everything should be fine.

UXStyle is safer then UXThemePatcher because it uses a service rather then modifying your system.

UXStyle is safer then UXThemePatcher because it uses a service rather then modifying your system.

I searched for UxStyle and came across this interesting thread:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/37000-UxStyle-updated-for-windows-8-%28experimental%29

On page 6 people said UxStyle modified the system files too but in a different way.

I do want to try UxStyle but the file I downloaded says UxStyle_Core_Sep3_Experimental_x64. That means it supports W8 64 only.

No worries, I was feeling bold again so I tried UXThemePatcher and have had no more issues so far. I also have windows 8 start screen customizer for replacing the solid colored themes. The custom themes and start screen customizer make my win 8 look far different from what microsoft intended it to.