Windows 8.1 Impressions

Jody Thornton

Then can you move this topic back to Win 8 forum, Tripredacus? It's a preview version just like the others. DP, CP and RP that we used to talk about in W8 forum.

Agree, hate bouncing all over the place

DosProbie

Looks like same ones except img0.jpg is now this. Maybe where they get the Blue from

All these are in win 8 themes

5n5i.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by maxXPsoft

When the downloading was around 20% complete, I had this error:

I had to uninstall StartIsBack and the UltraUXTheme patcher so that there were no changes in the system files at all. I also unplugged the TV set from my computer. After a reboot, the update started to download again from the scratch! It says 40% complete now. Never thought I can be so patient with W8 this time!

Edit: remove attachment

Edited by Aloha

Andre,

The update from the Store didn't work for me! I had to install W8.1 by the iso file.

The About says I can use this version till Jan 2014, but I'll restore W8 very soon. I am used to Windows with Start Menu and theme Aero 8. And above all, I don't like to see the text of evaluation copy on the desktop anymore.

PS. Perhaps I should forget all about trying any new version of W8. It's not so exciting as it used to be, especially it's when I, for the first time, had W8 DP.

Edit: remove image

Edited by Aloha

The design inconsistencies are still there. You can now disable the two upper charm points, but not the lower ones.

Still same issue if you don't use the default taskbar positioning, only worse: you now have two start buttons with vertical taskbar - one on the taskbar and one overlaying the "show desktop" button. Clicking on network connections on the left opens menu on the right. The volume OSD is also still overlaying the taskbar in a half-assed way.

Basically, it's still "use the default or gtfo". I'm sticking with win7.

Microsoft partners seriously underwhelmed by Windows 8.1

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2013/06/28/channel_not_excited_by_windows_81/

But he warned, "It is a consumer-focused product and so far consumers haven't liked it. Businesses are buying Win8 machines but downgrading it to Windows 7," he said.

"Will Windows 8.1 change the world? My gut feel is that sales will be the same as before. We are not forecasting an uplift," said our distie source.

So distributors are not preparing for a spike in demand from their customers.

:thumbup

Well, After about five attempts I finally had 8.1 installed!!..Yippy Skippy, anyway I now know why they call it the "Blue" version as it bsod a lot!..Yes its a Beta but really? Been beta testing for years but this has got to be the most unstable $MS beta of all time..DP

- GetVersionEx returns 6.2.9200

this is no bug, this is by design.

While it may be by design, with all due respect, it's simply stupid to go through the pain of establishing a standard just to break it a few years down the road.

It should return 6.2.9201, to be consistent with what is explained here (KB971486) and here (KB2779030), for instance... In a nutshell:

Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 file information:

* The files that apply to a specific product, milestone (RTM, SPn), and service branch (LDR, GDR) can be identified by examining the file version numbers as shown in the following table:

Version Product Milestone Service branch
6.0.6000.16xxx Windows Vista RTM GDR
6.0.6000.20xxx Windows Vista RTM LDR
6.0.6001.18xxx Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 SP1 SP1 GDR
6.0.6001.22xxx Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 SP1 SP1 LDR
6.0.6002.18xxx Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 SP2 GDR
6.0.6002.22xxx Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 SP2 LDR

* Service Pack 1 is integrated into the release version of Windows Server 2008. Therefore, RTM milestone files apply only to Windows Vista. RTM milestone files have a 6.0.0000.xxxxxx version number.

* GDR service branches contain only those fixes that are widely released to address widespread, critical issues. LDR service branches contain hotfixes in addition to widely released fixes.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 file information:

* The files that apply to a specific product, milestone (RTM, SPn), and service branch (LDR, GDR) can be identified by examining the file version numbers as shown in the following table:

Version Product Milestone Service branch
6.1.7600.16xxx Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM GDR
6.1.7600.20xxx Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM LDR
6.1.7601.17xxx Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 GDR
6.1.7601.21xxx Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 LDR

* GDR service branches contain only those fixes that are widely released to address widespread, critical issues. LDR service branches contain hotfixes in addition to widely released fixes.

Then again, isn't that what windows 8.x is all about? I mean, destroying, at the drop of a hat, what MS took ages to build? So, why am I surprised at all?

no, Win8.1 is no Sp, it was designed as the new Windows, but because of the terrible market share MS switched their mind and releases it as an Update for Windows 8.

You must add <supportedOS Id="{1f676c76-80e1-4239-95bb-83d0f6d0da78}"/> to the manifest to get the API working.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn302074%28v=vs.85%29.aspx