Windows Server 2012 - genisoimage bootable

mimocloud

Hello everybody,

i'm programming a Iso builder in Python wich is able to also edit the unattended installation of windows server 2012 but thats not the point i want to talk about now...

i want to make the iso image bootable again because all the files from the source image wich was bootable are unpacked to a folder.

i dont want to explain why i've but all files in a single folder but it is inalienable soo please don't ask me about that okay ;)....

So back to my problem.

in the source iso file is a folder called boot which contains the following:

en-us (folder)

fonts (folder)

resources (folder)

bcd (file)

boot.sdi (file)

bootfix.bin (file)

bootsect.exe (file)

eftsboot.com (file)

memtest.exe (file)

on linux i just need the the isolinux.bin file and the boot.cat file.

wich files from the windows disc i need to make or to build a bootable iso of Windows Server 2012 x64???

this is a snipped what my python code looks like for LINUX:

build=("genisoimage -r -V" +" "+ '"mimoCloud-Linux"' +" "+ "-cache-inodes -J -l -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o" +" "+ isobuild +".iso" +" "+ final_path)

works great...

So if you guys can help me i would be so happy ;)

i dont want to explain why i've but all files in a single folder but it is inalienable soo please don't ask me about that okay ;)....

That's OK, as long as you won't ask WHY a few windows files NEED to be on ROOT of the optical device. :whistle:

Also, by starting by stating how your approach is "inalienable" you are effectively preventing people to provide you with working, tested alternatives, since you sound like a Linuxish guy, you might particularly appreciate Eric S. Raymond's take on similar matters:

http://catb.org./~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#goal

further expanded here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/put-down-the-chocolate-covered-banana.html

So back to my problem.

on linux i just need the the isolinux.bin file and the boot.cat file.

wich files from the windows disc i need to make or to build a bootable iso of Windows Server 2012 x64???

It won't simply work. :no:

There might be a workaround by using grub4dos and mapping a "boot floppy" image, but very likely it will fail nonetheless at actual install time.

BUT there is a perfectly working and tested approach by using an unmodified Windows install .iso (still mapped with grub4dos), which is what I could provide some info/links about, IF your initial approach is somehow not really "inalienable" and we can talk about it (and other ones).

So if you guys can help me i would be so happy ;)

Yep :yes: , but we may need to ask you questions.... :whistle:

jaclaz