Portable devices via MTP driver in Windows 98

ivanbuto

Hi everyone,

I own a HTC One S smartphone. I was able to transfer files from and to this device via standard USB Mass Storage driver on my Windows 98 machine. However, the developers of Android killed the option to connect via USB Mass Storage with the Android 4.1 update. It is now possible to transfer files only through MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). However, MTP support is basically non-existent in Windows 98. I was able to obtain the MTP porting kit and after overcoming some difficulties, I successfully installed a custom driver for my device.

I am now able to see the device in Windows Media Player 9, when I go to the "Copy to CD or device" option. I can see the folders on my phone correctly... however, Windows Media Player would only enable me to copy files to the device, not vice versa.

In Windows 98, even with the MTP package installed, it is not possible see portable devices in Windows Explorer.

Is there any software capable of giving me access to the files on the device?

Thanks!

Edited by ivanbuto

Can you explain what you've done so far?

EDIT: (It *might* be possible to mod wpdmtp.inf from WMP 10 with specific device info, IDK if the files it copies would be compatible)

Edited by Steven W

Hi Joe,

I wonder if installing the Service Pack would help me.

Basically, I followed these instructions:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/171263/mtp-devices-in-windows-me/

I do already have the MTP support pack installed, and I was also able to successfully install a driver for my phone, i.e. it is detected in Device Manager.

However, unlike Windows XP (and according to the link above, also Windows Me), Windows 98 does NOT show up the MTP device in Windows Explorer. Therefore, I am not able to browse and manipulate with the files on my device. Is there any piece of software that would enable me to do this? Windows Media Player 9 is not helpful.

Thanks!

UNfortunately of no practical assistance :( , but JFYI:

http://www.jfdesignnet.com/?p=2291

only useful to know how also everyone else thinks that MTP sucks big :realmad: .

I don' think that right now anything exists that can help having the MTP connected device be available in a "Normal" File Manager, let alone n Windows 9x/Me.

The only thing that makes sense, as I see it, is to use an app like this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dooblou.WiFiFileExplorerPRO&hl=en

and use WiFi (and a browser) to manage files.

jaclaz

Hi Joe,

I wonder if installing the Service Pack would help me.

Basically, I followed these instructions:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/171263/mtp-devices-in-windows-me/

I do already have the MTP support pack installed, and I was also able to successfully install a driver for my phone, i.e. it is detected in Device Manager.

However, unlike Windows XP (and according to the link above, also Windows Me), Windows 98 does NOT show up the MTP device in Windows Explorer. Therefore, I am not able to browse and manipulate with the files on my device. Is there any piece of software that would enable me to do this? Windows Media Player 9 is not helpful.

Thanks!

Hi Ivan,

Well, I don't know if the SP will be of any help, probably not. I don't use it as the current maintener doesn't care that I don't want to mess around with my drivers, which took so much work to get working properly, or that the Adaptec ASPI layer update breaks my scanner. It has gone far beyond the scope of an SP and bundles other packages that don't belong, typically giving you no option about installing them.

Anyway, if you "drilled down" the link I gave you, you would find my notes on my initial experimentation with MTP/PTP. I concluded :

So, with 'MTP9x-2k.exe', 'wpdmtp_sample.inf', 'wmdmcmd.exe' (and 'readme_wmdmcmd.txt'), you have rudimentary support for PTP/MTP devices in Win98/SE/ME. Install 'MTP9x-2k', make an INF file for your device using 'wpdmtp_sample.inf' as your template (use 'usbview' to find the appropriate PID and VID values), then use this to install the device driver. Finally, use the (rather crude) 'wmdmcmd' utility to copy files to/from your device, etc. (hint, 'wmdmcmd' can operate in command-line mode, so you can take advantage of the command-line editing features of 'doskey').

Joe.

Joe,

thanks very much for pointing out your notes on MTP/PTP experimentation.

Having obtained the 'wmdmcmd' utility from the MTP porting kit package (version 10) I can confirm that indeed, I can now manage files on my device via command line. I guess this is the best possible option at the moment for my Windows 98 machine. If I want to be more comfortable, I will use a computer with Windows XP.

Thanks again!

P.S. How stupid of Android developers, however, to knock out usb mass storage support on purpose...

Edited by ivanbuto

Joe,

thanks very much for pointing out your notes on MTP/PTP experimentation.

Having obtained the 'wmdmcmd' utility from the MTP porting kit package (version 10) I can confirm that indeed, I can now manage files on my device via command line. I guess this is the best possible option at the moment for my Windows 98 machine. If I want to be more comfortable, I will use a computer with Windows XP.

Thanks again!

P.S. How stupid of Android developers, however, to knock out usb mass storage support on purpose...

If someone created a GUI for the commandline tool, that would probably shed some light. :}

• 10 years later...

Hello,

I have read the MTP driver for Windows 98SE/ME does not allow browsing in explorer- only Media Player 9.

Are there programs out there that allow one to browse a phone via MTP?

Thank you for your time.