Chipset Driver?

Dogway

Hello, I'm trying to install the proper chipset drivers of my board.

Before installing XP x86 I took a snapshot of the XP x64 OS, as you can see on the image despite I installed the supposedly correct chipset driver the entries are left without updating.

It's the 5000 series chipset, and I installed Intel® Chipset Device Software 9.4.0.1017.zip which has inside a setup.exe and in one folder an inf pointing to my component (checked Dev. ID etc):

; ********************************************************************************
; ********************************************************************************
; ** FileName: 5000XZVP.inf **
; ** Abstract: Windows* 2K, XP, 2003, 2008, Vista INF File for **
; ** Memory I/O Controller Hub **
; ** Last Update: February 25, 2013 (Version 9.1.9 Build 1003) **

[Version]
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=System
ClassGUID={4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider=%INTEL%
CatalogFile=5000XZVP.cat
DriverVer=02/25/2013, 9.1.9.1003

Why the driver won't install?

devicemanagerq.th.png

edit: as you can see I manually update one port to assure it's a working driver, I just don't find a reason why it wouldn't install all at once.

edit2: for clarification I list almost all the missing component IDs

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25C0&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12\3&172E68DD&0&00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25F0&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12\3&172E68DD&0&80
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25F0&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12\3&172E68DD&0&81
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25F0&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12\3&172E68DD&0&82
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25F1&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12\3&172E68DD&0&88
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25F3&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12\3&172E68DD&0&98
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25F5&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12\3&172E68DD&0&A8
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25F6&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12\3&172E68DD&0&B0
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25E3&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12\3&172E68DD&0&18
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25E5&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12\3&172E68DD&0&28
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25E6&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12\3&172E68DD&0&30

Edited by Dogway

can someone help me please?

On Hardware Manager the component ID is:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25C0&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12\3&172E68DD&0&00

If I browse inside the "All" folder of the extracted "Intel Chipset Device Software" "Driver" there is an inf that should match my component called "5000XZVP.inf", under inspection I find a matching component ID in 2 sections:

[iNTEL]

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25C0.DeviceDesc%=NO_DRV,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25C0

[iNTEL.NT.5.1]

But when I clilck on setup nothing is detected or installed, and this is driving me nuts because I think this is the main reason my smartphone won't be recognized on the PC, my XP x64 partition had no problem with this chipset driver, but the smartphone won't work there, presumably because it is not compatible with the x64 version of XP.

Edited by Dogway

It means that the OS' inbox driver is to be used. There is no problem?

If you wanted to test, you could change part of the INF from NO_DRV to PCI_DRV, but you could protentially cause a BSOD or other errors by trying to install it. If you did it this way, you would probably need to update the driver using Device Manager instead of Setup.

You mean that the driver is designed so the default generic XP drivers are used instead of the ones from the manufacturer?

What logic is that? isn't that the same as "no available drivers for XP x86"?

Anyways I can't fully agree with that because even without changing a thing, if I manually go and from device manager try to update a component, if I point to the same INF, it gets autodetected and installed... meaning that it's supposed to be installed from setup. AND, as you can see in the picture below for XPx64, component 25C0 gets installed from setup, and the INF looks the same as for x86:

[iNTEL.NTamd64]

devicemanager.png

You mean that the driver is designed so the default generic XP drivers are used instead of the ones from the manufacturer?

There is no driver involved: translate 'NO_DRV' to no driver.

machine.inf

[NO_DRV.Services]

AddService = , %SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE% ; null service install

Manually device manager update add entries to list nice names.

There is no driver installed.

As for the setup behaiour: I suspet edited XP installation media.

Use a vanilla XP installation media.

Which hardware and software do you use?

you are mixing my findings...

My above picture is from a setup install (on my XPx64 partition), not a manual update.

And I go beyond, on my first uploaded screenshot you can see I manually installed one component in XP x86, so I got a nice name yes.... and a nice driver version... and a nice driver year... and a nice controller detail path pointing to pci.sys... incidentally the same as in XP x64...

I use a precision 690 and XP x86 Professional up to date.

I'm having all kind of problems and my guess is this driver, ie. My USB wifi disconnects when I plug another USB, the smartphone won't be recognized, etc.

Edited by Dogway

My above picture is from a setup install (on my XPx64 partition), not a manual update.

The behaviour indicates good XPx64 installation files and broken XPx86 installation files.

Which XP x86 Professional installation files do you use? Do you use a OEM version? A retail version?

Which SP is included? Any drivers included in addition?

Edited in any way? What about mass storage drivers?

.... and a nice driver version... and a nice driver year... and a nice controller detail path pointing to pci.sys... incidentally the same as in XP x64...

I doubt a loaded pci.sys as for a PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25C0

Which hardwareID reres to loaded pci.sys?

pci.sys was loaded before installing chipset drivers already. Without pci.sys no current windows machine does boot.

Chipset installation dosn't change function relating pci.sys, it's nice displayed name only.

There is another reason.

I'm having all kind of problems and my guess is this driver, ie. My USB wifi disconnects when I plug another USB, the smartphone won't be recognized, etc.

I suspect hardware. Try a PCI(e) USB card.

Which XP x86 Professional installation files do you use? Do you use a OEM version? A retail version?

Which SP is included? Any drivers included in addition?

Edited in any way? What about mass storage drivers?

I'm sorry, ask exactly what you are looking for and I can pinpoint it for you, I can't explain you my life if I don't find a reason to, but I can tell you that my XP install is fine, so that route is not to be suspected. retail SP3, with up to date hotfixes, and mass storage drivers from drivers pack, everything from a +3 years unattended disc that I have been working for so long. The XP x64 disc has the same modifications, but the driver works there.

I suspect hardware. Try a PCI(e) USB card.

Thanks, I'll buy one when I get rich, meanwhile will you help me install the chipset drivers?

cdob, I'm sorry but it's not clear to me whether you want to help or troll. All I have been doing since my first post a week ago was giving information about hardware ID and chipset drivers, and now you want me to repeat it for you? Yes, the evidence says that my setup is not installing the drivers, you say because that's correct, because the DeviceDesc%=NO_DRV, I tell you XPx64 has the same entry and there it had no problems, and your conclusion is a rephrase of my above post(?):

"The behaviour indicates good XPx64 installation files and broken XPx86 installation files."

doh!, could you be more helpful?

XP install is fine, so that route is not to be suspected. retail SP3, with up to date hotfixes, and mass storage drivers from drivers pack, everything from a +3 years unattended disc that I have been working for so long.

What about vanilla XP files, without added drivers and +3 years unattended disc?

Reported issuse is strange. Chipset setup does install drivers in general, if not, there has to be a reason.

I suspect installation files still.

giving information about hardware ID and chipset drivers, and now you want me to repeat it for you?
Mentioned pci.sys hardware is unclear.
Yes, the evidence says that my setup is not installing the drivers, you say because that's correct

No, chiset setup behaviour it's not correct.

Contrary at a technical level, it won't make a difference, if you install manufacturer *.inf for a pci.sys hardware or a NO_DRV device.

Windows behave the same, if you install the relating *.inf or not.

Solving the chipset installation behaviour won't solve your problem.

To summerize: asking chipset driver may ask the false question.

ok so, from what you say, how I am to know what drivers a component is using?

You tell me that and I go to the XPx64 install to check first hand the driver is same as XPx86.

btw look more data for you, 25FA, by your terms this one also doesn't need any drivers...

Intel 5000X Chipset - PCI Express x16 Port 4-7

[General Information]
Device Name: Intel 5000X Chipset - PCI Express x16 Port 4-7
Original Device Name: Intel 5000X Chipset - PCI Express x16 Port 4-7
Device Class: PCI-to-PCI Bridge
Revision ID: 12
Bus Number: 0
Device Number: 4
Function Number: 0
PCI Latency Timer: 0
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25FA&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_12

[PCI Express]
Version: 1.0
Maximum Link Width: 16x
Current Link Width: 16x
Maximum Link Speed: 2.5 Gb/s
Current Link Speed: 2.5 Gb/s
Device/Port Type: Root Port of PCI Express Root Complex
Slot Implemented: Yes
Hot-Plug: Not Capable
Hot-Plug Surprise: Not Capable
Slot Power Limit: 150.000 W
Active State Power Management (ASPM) Support: L0s
Active State Power Management (ASPM) Status: Disabled

[System Resources]
Interrupt Line: N/A
Interrupt Pin: INTA#

[Features]
Bus Mastering: Enabled
Running At 66 MHz: Not Capable
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions: Not Capable

Edited by Dogway

You tell me that and I go to the XPx64 install to check first hand the driver is same as XPx86.

If you ensist at a nice device manager view, update the driver manually and select chipset inf files.

btw look more data for you, 25FA, by your terms this one also doesn't need any drivers..

Well, read again. No, I didn't wrote this.

25C0 refers to NO_DRV: doesn't need any drivers

25FA, is another device, a PCI-to-PCI Bridge. This is another case.

Compatible ID PCI\CC_0604 refers to a PCI-to-PCI Bridge too.

Intel chipset driver dosn't contain any driver: read a *.sys file.

The driver pci.sys is used, this is a windows default driver.

Default windows machine.inf:

%PCI\CC_0604.DeviceDesc%  = PCI_DRV, PCI\CC_0604

The section PCI_DRV loads default driver pci.sys

pci.sys is active before intel chipset driver already.

You don't need to use hardware manufacturer *.inf, but may use this to get a nice device manager view.

The PCI-to-PCI Bridge is active before and after intel chipset driver installation.

Can I point out a few things that "May" make this issue a bit clearer?

XP x64 service pack 2 was released on the 13th of March in 2007

XP 32bit SP3 was released on May 6th 2008 to the public. <-- Slightly over a year later, which is a lot of time in the computing world. Especially at that junction in development.

That is well more than a year of files and updates and new drivers that had been added to the 32 bit XP after the OS you are used to.

Also XP x64 was the first consumer 64bit OS released by MS. While the driver package you have is relatively new, most companies, once they found drivers that worked well without any issues did not make any changes. (So the x64 driver and its files\entries are quite possibly older than what XP 32bit sp3 comes with.)

The issue you have bears much further testing with a clean XP sp3 BEFORE assuming that it is a driver issue when SP3 has newer drivers\files.

Also your XP disk has updates and everything in it and is +3 years old? What if it has a buggy driver\update added in that has since been fixed?

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

If you ensist at a nice device manager view, update the driver manually and select chipset inf files.

I write one, two, three, and you answer two, three. Didn't you even learn the most important lines come first?

Intel chipset driver dosn't contain any driver: read a *.sys file.

Inside 5000XZVP.inf:

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25FA.DeviceDesc%=PCI_DRV,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25FA

in

[iNTEL]

[iNTEL.NT.5.1]

and

[iNTEL.NTamd64]

You say this points to pci.sys which is a system's file. Generic drivers same as NO_DRV.

Alright, then I guess that my question is very easy to make now, which is simple, but I ask; "how to automatically rename entries with setup?" The main point of this thread revolves around something faulty about this driver/setup.exe, which is not capable of automatize what it should be automatizing.

But let me add another thing.... I go further on the inf list and I find:

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2670.DeviceDesc%=ISAPNP_DRV,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2670

isapnp.sys another generic driver?

I attach the install log, it's too long for me to understand what it means without knowing what to look for.

@submix8c: Only americans know how to waste so much space.

IntelChipset.rar

Edited by Dogway

So there is some condition that is met by the INF that is causing the Chipset Setup to "remove" it from the installation queue. It eventually just removes all of the INFs and doesn't install anything. Here is a truncated parsing, I left out all the Hardware ID matches.

Current INF = D:\Programas\Drivers\Intel® Chipset Device Software\All\5000XZVP.inf
Date = 02/25/2013
Version = 9.1.9.1003
ClassGUID = {4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
PackageInfo.Name = Chipset
PackageInfo.Sequence = 0
PackageInfo.INFSource =
PackageInfo.ConditionIfNotInstalledDriverName = Provider(Microsoft)||InstalledDriverName(Chipset)||Provider()
Inf supports 64 bit.
Manufacturer = INTEL,NT.5.1,NTAMD64
Resolved Manufacturer = INTEL.NT.5.1

Here is the only other mention of this driver file, where it gets filtered out. Also note the awesome typo.

[Manditory Filters]
Condition = Provider(Microsoft)||InstalledDriverName(Chipset)||Provider()
Condition Removed INF = D:\Programas\Drivers\Intel® Chipset Device Software\All\5000XZVP.inf

If I were to guess, it is saying that if the current driver for the device has Microsoft as the provider, then it doesn't try to install it. If you look at this link here:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/28114

The "answer" implies that Setup.exe does additional checks that aren't based solely on whether or not the drivers will work manually, as you have seen. In the INF itself, this comes from the PackageInfo:

[PackageInfo]
Name=Chipset
Condition=Provider(Microsoft)||InstalledDriverName(Chipset)||Provider()

The following link says that a PackageInfo Condition is used by a third-party co-installer, in this case, Intel's Chipset Setup.exe.

http://www.osronline.com/showthread.cfm?link=204870

So you could try removing the Condition line from the INF and see what that does.