General xp to windows 7 conversion

papatwan

My question is whether to use windows XP or Windows7 on my cpu. I have the German version XP, and I need to change this to either Multilanguage XP or Win.7. What is your recommendation? How should I go about this? Do I have to first uninstall the old OS and than install a new one?

Also I will be buying an OEM version off of Ebay...will this present any problems to using nlite software? I am very novice, and cannot really understand the German language...thus, is this something I can do myself, reasonably easy.?

What are some of the first steps I should take to prepare the groundwork for proceeding with this operation?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions. I look forward to all responses.

Everybody will tell you that a fresh install is better than an upgrade.

Depending on your hardware and your ability (willingness) to upgrade it (MHz, RAM and HDD space), XP or 7 could be better.

nLite is not for novices. So either you explain why you plan to use it or you leave us to reply in the mist.

I have the German version XP, and I need to change this to either Multilanguage XP or Win.7

Why do you need a multilanguage version?

Do you need one language only?

Or do you use two different languages for two users?

XP is supported till 2014.

Install Windows 7 Ultimate. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows7/products/features/language-packs

I am very novice, and cannot really understand the German language...thus, is this something I can do myself, reasonably easy.?

Did you install a (english) windows so far?

What are some of the first steps I should take to prepare the groundwork for proceeding with this operation?
List the used hardware.

My question is whether to use windows XP or Windows7 on my cpu.

and your cpu is ?

your ram is ?

do you have some software that depends on win7 alone ?

Edited by vinifera

I have the German version XP, and I need to change this to either Multilanguage XP or Win.7

Why do you need a multilanguage version?

Do you need one language only?

Or do you use two different languages for two users?

I Just need the English version....Available at Ebay.de is the multi-language pack.

XP is supported till 2014.

Install Windows 7 Ultimate. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows7/products/features/language-packs

I am very novice, and cannot really understand the German language...thus, is this something I can do myself, reasonably easy.?

Did you install a (english) windows so far?

No I have not. So it is a little tricky for me to navigate with my limited german...I usually use screenshots and translate the text...It helps a bit.

List the used hardware.

Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394, WiFi)

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Video Adapter ASUS A9800 Series Secondary (256 MB)

DIMM1: Infineon 72D64320GU5B 512 MB PC3200 ECC DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)

Video Adapter ASUS A9800 Series Secondary (256 MB)

Video Adapter ASUS A9800 Series (256 MB)

3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9800 XT (R360)

Monitor HP w2207 (Digital) [22" LCD] (CND7340VWB)

Audio Adapter Analog Devices 1985 @ Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

IDE Controller Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA-Speichercontroller - 24D1

IDE Controller Standard-Zweikanal-PCI-IDE-Controller

Storage Controller A8ZGTPEA IDE Controller

Disk Drive WDC WD2000JB-00EVA0 (200 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

Optical Drive JGRAX D6JWPA7G9 SCSI CdRom Device

Optical Drive PLEXTOR DVD-ROM PX-116A2 (16x/48x DVD-ROM)

Optical Drive TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N (DVD+R9:16x, DVD-R9:12x, DVD+RW:20x/8x, DVD-RW:20x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)

Network Adapter Intel® PRO/1000 CT Network Connection

Network Adapter Realtek RTL8188SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter (192. [ TRIAL VERSION ])

Modem PCI Data Fax SoftModem with SmartCP

FireWire Controller VIA VT6306 Fire II IEEE1394 Host Controller (PHY: VIA VT6307)

DMI System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.

DMI System Product To Be Filled By O.E.M.

DMI System Version To Be Filled By O.E.M.

DMI System Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]

DMI System UUID [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Thank you for the good and quick responses.

Everybody will tell you that a fresh install is better than an upgrade.

Depending on your hardware and your ability (willingness) to upgrade it (MHz, RAM and HDD space), XP or 7 could be better.

nLite is not for novices. So either you explain why you plan to use it or you leave us to reply in the mist.

OKAY.....a fresh install is what I actually meant....thank you for clarifying.

I guess i just think it would be nice to have it setup custom>>>without media player etc. Can i just uninstall those later?

will oem work just as an original disc will?

You can use "Add and Remove Windows components" on a few things but there is not much gain from it. With a 200Gig HDD you have plenty of space.

512 MB of DDR1, that's quite low today. Even for XP you'd see a big difference upping it to 1or 1.5Gig. Unfortunately that could cost around 20$, unless you get lucky on ebay.

I Just need the English version....Available at Ebay.de is the multi-language pack.

And a englisch Windows XP. And Windows 7 Home Premium with several languages, one language selected at installation.

You don't need a muli language version: different languages available at installed system.

As indicated already, add some RAM.

Contrary if you keep 512 MB RAM only, choose Windows XP.

Thank you all very much. Great answers that helped me. One last question...to upgrade the ram...Would I just buy this Infineon 72D64320GU5B but in a 1 or 1.5 GB version of the same ddr?