Diminutive Device to Detect Drones Hovering Overhead

Monroe

Rest assured that a Scientific American piece on drones is sure to elicit further drone news shortly...

And fact is they're here to stay (there's no avoiding them, so to say). :angel

I mean... I remain as skeptic as ever about the feasibility of a mosquito-sized (or smaller) drone being an issue, because there seem to be no way to keep such a thing powered (because any viable power-source ought to be much bigger than that and on-board -- hence the tethered solutions we've been seeing so far, around those scales). But fuller drones are a reality, for a long time already... it's their crossing over to civilian uses and affordable prices -- leading to easy availability -- that may end up being a problem, as you know.

Found some information when the Navy lost control of the drone over D.C. airspace in 2010.

Navy Drone Violated Washington Airspace

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/us/26drone.html

August 25, 2010

WASHINGTON — The skies over the nation’s capital are crowded with presidential aircraft, military flyovers and the Delta shuttle, but this month a strange new bird was briefly among them: a United States Navy drone that wandered into the restricted airspace around Washington before operators could stop it.

Navy spokesmen could not say Wednesday if anyone on the ground was alarmed by the drone — officially an MQ-8B Fire Scout Vertical Takeoff and Landing unmanned aerial vehicle — which looks like a small windowless helicopter and was flying at 2,000 feet. The Navy did say that the drone got within 40 miles of Washington before operators were able to re-establish communication and guide it back to its base in southern Maryland.

Still, the Aug. 2 incident resulted in the grounding of all six of the Navy’s Fire Scouts as well as an inquiry into what went wrong. The Navy is calling the problem a “software issue” that foiled the drone’s operators.

Or, as Cmdr. Danny Hernandez, a Navy spokesman, put it: “When they lose contact with the Fire Scout, there’s a program that’s supposed to have it immediately return to the airfield to land safely. That did not happen as planned.”

Navy spokesmen said the Fire Scout, made by Northrop Grumman, was a little more than an hour into a test flight operating out of Naval Air Station Patuxent River on the Chesapeake Bay when operators lost its control link. The drone then flew 23 miles on a north-by-northwest course to enter Washington’s restricted airspace. A half-hour later, Navy spokesmen said, operators re-established control and the drone landed safely back at Patuxent.

The Navy did not describe the scene inside the ground control station as operators sought to re-establish communication with the drone.

The Fire Scout, about 31 feet long and 10 feet high, is a surveillance aircraft that can take off from Navy warships. In April, a Fire Scout was part of a drug arrest in the waters off Central America. According to the Navy, the Fire Scout relayed video of a suspicious fishing vessel to the Coast Guard and law enforcement officials, who moved in and seized 60 kilos of cocaine.

Edited by duffy98

• 1 month later...

So where are we headed with all this ... Google has a spy program that almost rivals the NSA ... haven't they built huge data centers to "store" everything they collect and now they have become a military contractor. Are we headed for the "The United States of Google"? I'm looking for an underground cave home ... just too dangerous to be on the surface anymore !!!

"Many of Boston Dynamics’ robots have been developed with funding from the US Department of Defense’s research unit, Darpa, making Google a military contractor, at least for now."

Edited by duffy98

• 1 month later...

The idea of having robots fighting for you in wars always was some dream, and we can see it in movies if we want. I think the problem is that real life technology does not work quite as well as it does in movies. I figure they would have already done all the research into what to do if something stops working, maybe it gets lost, falls over and can't get back up, gets hit by a truck or some other non-combat related mishap. I will still remember those times NASA put in all that work to make a rover to send to Mars and it just blew up on the way over there. Felt bad for those guys and felt good when they finally got one over there.

It's always a great idea to have robots fight for one... or, at least, act as helpers to the actual fighters, so as to reduce or even eliminate at least some "collateral damage". Then again, it's dreadful to be fought by machines one cannot kill nor stop (in different ways, the Matrix, RoboCop and Terminator, among others, muse about that, don't they?)... :ph34r:

dencorso ... see you revived the topic, it was getting ready to go to "Page 2" or into history. I did see the article you posted about and I decided not to post about it, I agree with everything you said. Ok, so military people are replaced that have to be fed three times a day ... instead of a barricks, a warehouse of some sort would give the drones shelter but the maintenance cost might be the same as feeding the troops three meals a day ... keeping them all in working order, installing new generation chips, replacing worn out parts.

It's all interesting ... maybe a balance or mix of drones and people will be the way they go in the future.

Saw this today ...

Swarms of drones could be the next frontier in emergency response

01/25/2014 ... 6 hours ago

Nidhi Subbaraman NBC News

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/swarms-drones-could-be-next-frontier-emergency-response-2D11988741

Robots that can buzz, whir, and clamber into some of the most dangerous crime scenes and disaster zones are coming to the aid of police officers and other first responders who put themselves in harm’s way.

In October 2013, a parolee barricaded himself in a Roseville, Calif., suburban home of a young couple and their toddler, taking mother and child hostage. A SWAT team from the local police station captured the alleged offender and took him in, but not before gunfire ripped through the one-story home and injured officers.

Law enforcement officers on the ground had help from bomb squad robots, that helped push aside the furniture the suspect had piled up as a barricade. But two detectives believe that a bit of unmanned aerial backup would have made a big difference.

.... all good points jaclaz about future wars ...

Tripredacus ... have to agree, maybe it will always be a dream ... how's this scenario, we have an army of robot drones guarding a city or for an invasion ... there they are facing the enemy in lines and columns ... but the enemy hacks into the "machine army" computer brains, slowly they start turning around to join forces with the enemy to attack us ... people running everywhere for the hills in panic.

Could we honestly ever get a good night's sleep counting on a robot drone army to keep us safe. Maybe well into the future after all the kinks are worked out.

typo edit ... "the enemy" instead of "he"

Edited by duffy98

Ideally if mankind evolutes enough to create such robots it would be mature enough to make wars unneeded.

A dispute could be settled by flippism :yes: or even through a robot fight, but more like "Real Steel":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433035/

than those more catastrophic Sci-Fi examples.

Ironically, Real Steel was on TV just as I read this post.

I like the idea though. :thumbup: And depending on how much entertainment value we want to provide we can design something in between national Gladiators in a Coliseum to Celebrity Deathmatch style battles between elected politicians. Or scale it up to technological matches spanning from RC controlled Gigantor and Real Steel bots to full-on self-aware Transformer units.

However, with budget considerations and the current low-expectations from our modern design geniuses all we'll probably see is this ...

ARTrockemSockemA_lg.jpeg

However, with budget considerations and the current low-expectations from our modern design geniuses all we'll probably see is this ...

This is starting to be interesting :unsure:, believe it or not I was thinking exactly at that good ol' toy when I saw Real Steel first time.

But you have it wrong. :(

That was old design, it was simple, it was sturdy, mechanical and it worked. :yes:

If you would make a new one would have:

• touch screen and gestures interface
  • Wi-Fi or anyway wireless connection
  • Android or Java (or both)
  • need to be connected to the Internet
  • no user replaceable batteries (you would need to take it to service to replace them)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Right you are, I seriously insulted that classic toy. My bad.

Let me cast my vote for a "Political Deathmatch" ( just like "Celebrity Deathmatch" which was a hysterical and clever spoof of the Roman Gladiator concept ). We can take our elected and unelected bureaucrats and self-appointed tyrants and shove them into the ring. Two enter, one leaves. Come to think of it, that would still be one too many.