Diminutive Device to Detect Drones Hovering Overhead

Monroe

I was thinking of the larger drones that are flying higher in the sky that a person may or may not actually hear. Those may already be flying secretly over the US snapping away or recording something. The insects are still early development type drones ... from what I read but I think a few are flying and certainly will be flying soon, I think a company in Norway has a small flying drone now.

The pack horse drones that dencorso talked about earlier could have what all horses have ... "horse flies" but in this case they would be horse fly drones and come and go from the actual pack horse drone ... it's endless!

Edited by duffy98

I was thinking of the larger drones that are flying higher in the sky that a person may or may not actually hear. Those may already be flying secretly over the US snapping away or recording something.

Naah :no: , they have satellites to do that, since years.

jaclaz

This is really bad stuff ... so all the drones that I might buy to protect my property can be taken over to protect the property across the street. This just gets worse by the hour. I suppose this could also apply to pack horse drones ... "horse drone rustlers" just quietly walk them off a person's property. Horse thieves used to be hung but I guess that probably wouldn't happen to a drone horse thief.

You sort of made fun of my last post ... sort of ... but the last paragraph in the article you posted says it all ... you said there are satellites and yes there are but look at those projected numbers for future spying drones and also the article said that drones could just fall out of the sky.

"There’s something about things falling out of the sky that gets people’s attention. The FAA has promised to open the U.S. skies to civilian drones by 2015 and has estimated that by 2020, there could be 30,000 of them aloft. That’s a lot of potential flying zombies."

Edited by duffy98

No, didn't mean to make fun of your post, I was actually serious :w00t: : the point I was trying to make is slighty different, we must never confuse three things:

1. what "they" really have
  2. what "they" say they have
    ------------------------------------------ <- this is separating line between "they" and "us"
  3. what "we" can have

As I see it (or at least the way I would conduct "business" if I were part of the "they") it is only too logical that "they" have more than what "they" tell us and can do more things than what "they" tell us.

The separating line is what makes drones such an interesting piece of news, *somehow* we can have them and we can have them "affordable" and "reliable" for the first time.

More or less "they" are the same guys that managed in 1962 (that is 50 - fifty years ago) to fly an U-2 (and that wasn't news for them) at mindboggingly height and speed and take B/W snapshots of missile sites in Cuba, example:

Cuba_Missiles_Crisis_U-2_photo.jpg?dur=1

Fifty years ago "we" could maybe afford a Cessna 172.

Today "we" simply go to google maps, and have (of course not real-time updated) snapshots better resolution than those, and in colour, example:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=San+Cristobal,+Pinar+del+Rio,+Cuba&hl=en&ll=22.716973,-83.051147&spn=0.001865,0.002419&sll=23.107234,-82.382168&sspn=0.007441,0.009677&oq=San+Cristobal,+Pinar+del+rio,+Cuba&t=h&hnear=San+Cristobal,+Pinar+del+Rio,+Cuba&z=19

A non-military R/C helicopter or model plane equipped with a camera was news maybe some 20 (twenty) years ago.

But it was costly, difficult to pilot, had a peculiar tendency to very often come down as if it was a piece of cast iron , had to be "in sight", etc., etc.

At the time "they" most probably had already something that was reliable, actually could be remotely (without having it "in sight") controlled and what not.

Let's say that "our" budget for the thingy was US$ 10,000 ( a LOT of money at the time, and stil now) and around it there were three or four ordinary guys (all of them more or less "average", with a full-time work, possibly a family, designing and building the flying object in their spare time).

At the same time "they" had a limitless budget (or let's say US$ 10,000,000), the very top of scientists, engineers and pilots working full time to a similar project.

Guess which of the two resulted as "better"?

Now "we" can have for much less than the US $ 10,000 of today, which correspond:

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

roughly to 6,250 $ of 1993, a drone capable of flying slowly at a low quote taking pictures and movies.

And (for free or paying a fee) exceptionally good satellite images.

What can "they" have? :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

OK ... I know you were not making "fun" of that post ... sort of ! When I was typing that earlier post, it popped in my head about satellites already in position snapping away. I remember reading 10 yrs ago, maybe 20 yrs ago that these satellites had cameras that could read the headlines off a newspaper that someone might be reading standing on a sidewalk.

Yes, I joke around about having a personal spy drone one day but as you have said and probably is very true, most ordinary people won't be able to afford the price of a decent spy drone. That dragon fly drone from several posts back sells for $119 and that would be in an affordable range ... just how good and reliable it is, don't really know and also how long can it fly after launch?

You hit the nail on the head ... there are always "talented people" that could put things together in a garage or back yard and make (build) a pretty nice flying drone from this and that ... like the early computer boys working out of a garage.

Well it was a good article and probably of more concern to a government (country) not wanting to lose some of their expensive "state of the art" drones to a hijacking zombie.

Still amazes me how "drone talk" has exploded this year compared to 2012 ... and are we going to one day hear that Microsoft has secret drones flying around for some reason ... could be more in that new Xbox or a future Xbox or a new computer program than we might think. Who can say what plans are on the table now.

Edited by duffy98

... and are we going to one day hear that Microsoft has secret drones flying around for some reason ...

Naah, they had them, and they were flying alright in DOS ;), but then the project passed to the Office division, which added to them ribbon interface and then again to the Metro division who removed remote control in favour of touch and the project stalled, they are now experimenting in genetics on how to grow people with longer arms....

:w00t:

.... if the project had gone to the Xbox/Kinect division, that would have probably made a BIG difference.... :yes:

There are rumours that they have an unauthorized project ongoing, the drone would need however to be constantly connected to the cloud, and if it looses connection for more than 1 nanosecond it comes down.

And BTW, you cannot sell the wreck unless you pay a fee to them :whistle: .

:lol:

jaclaz

I was here thinking... why not burrowing drones? :ph34r:

Simpler to power and to keep in place (no need to hover) and equally efficient to spy on one, right? :unsure:

Sure :), noone will ever notice small holes in their floors or walls or strange bulges on their carpets. :whistle:

Come on, you don' t really-really believe that "they" put an awful amount of money and human resources to actually explore the substrate of Mars, do you? ;)

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/programmissions/missions/missiontypes/subsurface/

jaclaz

Sure :), noone will ever notice small holes in their floors or walls or strange bulges on their carpets. :whistle:

Strange bulges on carpets is another matter attogether, but real tiny holes in walls or floors (or, much better, ceilings), only the most paranoid may notice (and just that fractions of the most paranoids having a vision good enough to see them up there has a chance of noticing them, BTW). Burrowing drones rock!!! roll1.gif

... or, much better, ceilings) ...

Yeah, sure noone ever looks at them :thumbup

The 1960's projects seemingly failed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Kitty

but that's more than 40 years ago....

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2163792128/h5885FBD3/

We are like at the 10th generation....

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2623868672/h41C02CA8/

jaclaz

From jaclaz ...

The 1960's projects seemingly failed:

http://en.wikipedia..../Acoustic_Kitty

but that's more than 40 years ago....

well, maybe this little part says it all about the project being a failure! This is like something out of a Mel Brooks movie! This is freaking hilarious, my laugh for the day.

"The first Acoustic Kitty mission was to eavesdrop on two men in a park outside the Soviet compound in Washington, D.C. The cat was released nearby, but was hit and killed by a taxi almost immediately."

Of course, the best way to thwart an Accoustic Kitty is by using a cone of silence full-time...

There is NO safe place.

Roboducks :w00t: can read lips allright:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7570065152/h9FEF2C96/

If "they" are after you, "they" will get you. :ph34r:

Resistance is futile! :whistle:

jaclaz

P.S.: BTW there have been progresses in cat training in the meantime ;) :

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7541235456/hF7412986/

Edited by jaclaz

Here we go ... the insect drones now have power ... get out the flyswatters! ... don't think insect spray will work unless it fogs up the lens.

Scientists use 3D printer to create microbatteries smaller than a single GRAIN of sand, paving the way for high-powered flying robot insects.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2344835/Scientists-use-3D-printer-create-microbatteries-smaller-single-GRAIN-sand-paving-way-high-powered-flying-robot-insects-mini-medical-implants.html

The revolutionary technology behind 3D-printed car parts, food and guns can also be used to print batteries smaller than a grain of sand.

Scientists have used a 3D printer to make linthium-ion microbatteries that can fit into tiny devices that had previously stumped engineers looking to power them for longer periods.

The batteries were constructed from interlaced stacks of tiny battery electrodes, which conduct electricity, that are each smaller than the width of a single human hair.

Found this article on the "mosquito" insect drone that was mentioned before:

Business Insider - Military Defense

The Future Of Micro Drones Could Get Downright Scary

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-future-of-micro-drones-is-getting-pretty-scary-according-to-alan-lovejoy-2012-6

It's been several years since the rumors and sightings of insect sized micro drones started popping up around the world.

Vanessa Alarcon was a college student when she attended a 2007 anti-war protest in Washington, D.C. and heard someone shout, "Oh my God, look at those."

"I look up and I'm like, 'What the hell is that?'" she told The Washington Post. "They looked like dragonflies or little helicopters. But I mean, those are not insects," she continued.

and a refresher on the "dragon fly" drone ... "we saw an amazingly-realistic version that the CIA developed over 40 years ago" ...

New dragonfly drone can be controlled with a smartphone

http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/new-dragonfly-drone-can-be-controlled-smartphone.html

Dragonflies have been a popular choice for nature-inspired drones. First, we saw an amazingly-realistic version that the CIA developed over 40 years ago, but scrapped once they couldn't get the flying part perfected. Then, more recently we saw a drone developed by Georgia Tech that copied the dragonfly's four-wing design and was equipped with a suite of data collecting sensors.

The latest offering in robo-dragonflies, however, is the first that a) can be controlled with a smartphone and B) looks ready to be owned right now. The BionicOpter was created by robotics company Festo and like the Georgia Tech version is outfitted with sensors and wireless communication technology that allows it to continuously transmit data that it is collecting.

Edited by duffy98