Win8 features for Window 7

Sheldon

I´m not a programmer but if I was a programmer I maybe would start a project not to get Windows 7 features in Windows 8 but the other way round. But I can make suggestions.

Task manager:

I would like to have the Windows 8 task manager with all of it features in Windows 7.

Ribbon UI:

A Ribbon explorer would be nice. There is "Better explorer", but its to slow and overloaded.

This is all in my opinion.

Ewww why do you want to ruin Windows 7's superior Task Manager and superior Explorer? :lol: Instead I would have hybrid / fast startup, Hyper-V, SMB 3.0, USB 3.0, Recimg.exe on Windows 7. That's just about it. :P Everything else is sickeningly worse.

Ewww why do you want to ruin Windows 7's superior Task Manager and superior Explorer? :lol: Instead I would have hybrid / fast startup, Hyper-V, SMB 3.0, USB 3.0, Recimg.exe on Windows 7. That's just about it. :P Everything else is sickeningly worse.

The new TM is superior to the old. It provides you with various views and information. If you want the simple Processes list, choose the index Details. Windows 8 includes both TMs by the way, the old and the new one. One is called TM.exe, one taskmgr.exe.

And the Explorer was upgraded by the optional Ribbon menu, which I consider useful. For example if you want to select all files in a folder but one or a few, you have have to select all and then exclude those you don´t want to select by selecting them by Ctrl or Shift. In Windows 8 you simply select the files you want to exclude from the selection and then choose Invert selection in the Ribbon menu.

Windows 8´s fast start up is a good thing indeed but USB 3 support can be added by the attached motherboard driver disk.

Edited by Sheldon

The Task Manager is also full of regressions in functionality: http://xpwasmyidea.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-microsoft-broke-task-manager-in.html and it seems you didn't try RTM. RTM does not ship with the old Task Manager. Both TM.exe and Taskmgr.exe start the new pretty one. It's pretty but slow and breaks the workflow for all previous task manager users. Of course, that's just my opinion. Good for you if you found it improved.

Thank you for the link. I once tried that application; Andre suggested it in another topic. It seems to me that it doesn't work as fine as the one in W8.

Btw, it is a few months I haven't used W7.

The Task Manager is also full of regressions in functionality: http://xpwasmyidea.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-microsoft-broke-task-manager-in.html and it seems you didn't try RTM. RTM does not ship with the old Task Manager. Both TM.exe and Taskmgr.exe start the new pretty one. It's pretty but slow and breaks the workflow for all previous task manager users. Of course, that's just my opinion. Good for you if you found it improved.

I did not test it in RTM because I don´t miss the old TM ;)

Thanks for the link, but most points in there a based on the personal opinion of the author and some are simply wrong.

Some examples ( not excluding the not mentioned points from what I said above):

" -Removed feature: See this image. Which document is which? The old Task Manager showed the application name from the Title bar. The new one gets its name from somewhere else. The document name is only shown in More Details view after expanding by clicking the arrow/triangle."

Dear author, you only have to click the more details button once in your lifetime in case you never want to see the simple view of the TM again.

"- Removed feature: There is no global status bar showing the total number of processes, CPU usage and physical memory and/or commit charge."

There is. You can even choose the CPU usage to be displayed in either global or per core in the diagram view. Additionally you can get the Info from the tray icon, which correctly works.

"- No default beep/Ding sound on the Processes tab if I press a key and there is no process or app beginning with that name."

What a mess. There is no Processes tab anymore by the way but a Details tab, if you wish to see Processes not be sorted by their origin.

Edited by Sheldon

Oh I you're right about the last point. I removed it. Can you show me a screenshot of the status bar if it exists? Also, 1 click every single time is not very productive. There is already an additional click introduced due to UAC prompt.

Thank you for the link. I once tried that application; Andre suggested it in another topic. It seems to me that it doesn't work as fine as the one in W8.

Yep the color calculation method isn't the exact same as what Windows 8 uses. But it goes give you the option of using average color or dominant color.

Edited by xpclient

Oh I you're right about the last point. I removed it. Can you show me a screenshot of the status bar if it exists? Also, 1 click every single time is not very productive. There is already an additional click introduced due to UAC prompt.

Yep the color calculation method isn't the exact same as what Windows 8 uses. But it goes give you the option of using average color or dominant color.

OK, got you wrong. Such a bar doesn´t exist. But for what do you need that Info always? Nowadays it´s really difficult to overcharge a CPU.