How do I add a RAID0 to existing win8 install?

MarkJohnson

I have a 240GB SSD in AHCI more for booting. I want to add my 2 spare 120GB SSDs into a RAID0 array to help better capture video, plus encoding/rendering?

I have tried to install IRST in AHCI mode, then enabling the raid in the BIOS and creating the RAID0 stripe. But it BSODs on me.

I don't have my PCIe SATA III controller anymore, so I can't do it with two controllers attached. I can only do it with a single Intel built-in Z77 motherboard (whatever they call their controllers now?). I thought I did it once before on an older ICH9 or 10 board once with a registry change, but I can't find anything with Google.

Actually, I have a Xeon workstation board. It has the C216 chipset. I assume it is basically the same as Z77 with ECC support added is all. I assume the RAID controller is identical.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

-=Mark=-

I suggest (assuming the two smaller SSDs are also OCZ) asking on the OCZ support forum. The experts there are brilliant when it comes to what works and what doesn't.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?233-OCZ-Flash-Support-And-Discussion-Forum

-Noel

Probably a good idea. I found the fix for win 7 there that suggested editing the registry setting for iaStorV from 1 to 0. But win 8 already sets it to 0. So I tried putting in 1 with no success.

-=Mark=-

I don't have specific advice, but I just wanted to mention I have an array of 4 OCZ Vertex 3 drives in RAID 0 via a HighPoint 2720SGL controller, and they work flawlessly and quite fast. Intel RST is not involved; Highpoint has their own driver.

-Noel

I'm baffled. I can't believe this is such a difficult thing to do.

I even cloned the SSD to my USB HDD to see if I could then enable RAID0, but it won't boot for some reason. It's a USB 3.0 USB HDD and I tried it in USB 2.0 ports and it still won't boot..

I may just break down and do a reinstall. I didn't think it would be such a mess. Maybe I'll try temporarily installing win8 fresh directly to raid0 and check the registry and see what's up.

Thanks for the help

-=Mark=-