(WInME) PCI-E 7300LE Shows up in safe mode, But only safe mode...

psycotrip

OK I wanted a nostalgia build and I had a 945 chipset msi board around, I was able to install drivers for almost everything. At first it wouldn't boot with 2 gigs of ram, but now with 1 gig it boots. I don't have any 512 sticks to test as it is ddr2.

ANYWAY

I have a PCI-E 7300LE 256MB. When I boot into safe mode it installs with the modded 82.69 drivers. Everything looks fine. And whenever I boot to safe mode, the 7300LE shows up. But When I reboot normally the screen turns off after a second. The computer will come up if I use the intergrated video, but the card 7300LE is not there. Maby the 256MB+1GB is too much. I heard people can use up to 1995MB on windows ME, how do they enable that. I tried using the XP chipset drivers and they did install but on the PCI to PCI ports that the drivers recognized as PCI-E ports. I get this error twice. One for each pcie port.

Windows could not load the driver for this device because the computer is reporting two PCI.VXD bus types. (Code 2)

Other than that, the system has no exclamation points, usb works. Everything works, the intergrated video has a proper driver loaded from xp but it doesn't work, stuck on 640x480x16.

Ill try anything, thanks for reading and ANY suggestions you may have

For limiting RAM to 1995MB, add the following entry to system.ini:

[386Enh]

MaxPhysPage=7CB00

This plus 256MB VRAM should normally not be an issue, it's the PCI-e interface that must be the problem I guess, hopefully someone more knowledgeable such as rloew will be able to help you with that.

Edited by loblo

(when connected to internal graphics) when I boot in safe mode, the 7300 shows up, when I boot in regular mode only the internal shows up

(when connected to 7300le) can boot into safe mode internal graphics shows up, when I boot regular it goes black and either reboots or just seems to hang, cant tell because screen is black.

thanks for the quick responses will try that VBEMP driver right now

That pagefile command worked, now rocking 1995 mb of ram AND ddr2 dual channel mode. Happyest OS ever.

Edited by psycotrip

First of all you should install manual xrayer's chipset driver (windows98.xf.cz). Then you can install the graphics driver NV 82.69. The Bearwindows VBEMP is a very simple driver without any kind of 3d support and slow scrolling... You will be much more happy with the NV82.69. Which msi bord is it? Check some BIOS settings: The IDE configuration should be set to compatible mode (four devices ; 98/ME supports only four devices ), if possible. On some boards you have to disable Hyperthreading. And check out your possible ACPI settings. Disable the onboard graphics.

RAM:

For limiting RAM to 1995MB, add the following entry to system.ini:

[386Enh]

MaxPhysPage=7CB00

This is a ideal value. It never works for me. My highest possible values differ about between 60000 and 72000 (1,4 up to 1,8 GB) dependent on the board and the graphics card.

If you try the NV82.69 driver again, make sure, that you deleted the VBEMP driver in your system folder.

Edited by schwups

My motherboard is 945GCM5-F V2 (FSB 1333)

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/945GCM5-F-V2--FSB-1333-.html#/?div=Detail

I tried lowering the memory to 256mb, I tried updating with the INF's on the site you gave, everything. But I can't get the 7300 to show up outside of safe mode. I'm going to try editing the bios to look for hidden settings reguarding disabling the onboard video. I tried all the APCI settings. Its just weird that it shows up in safe mode. I feel I am so close, but so far. Thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe your BIOS looks like this:

"On-Chip ATA Devices:

Press <Enter> to enter the sub-menu and the following screen appears:

On-Chip IDE Controller:

The chipset contains a PCI IDE interface with support for one IDE channel. This

item allows you to enable or disable the IDE controller.

On-Chip SATA Controller:

Set this option to define the SATA device mode."

In this case you have to disable one controller. But not that with your HDD.

I've narrowed it down a bit.

Fresh install always keeping it plugged into the pci-e card, setup continues until it starts configuring plug and play hardware, after it detects hardware, the screen goes black and I can't get it back. I tried with Windows ME and Windows 98SE, same results. So as soon as it starts configuring devices the screen goes black, just like when Windows was fully installed. If I keep it plugged into the onboard video it works all the way through, but after install the PCI-E card only shows up in safe mode. I don't think its an IDE problem, I install from IDE DVD then disable the IDE controller after the first part of setup completes when it reboots to solve that problem. The only settings for video in the bios are "1mb/8mb" "DVMT/FIXED/COMBO" "Internal/PCI-E/PCI". That's it I can't find a setting to completely disable. Thanks again for the responses and keeping Window 9x alive!

Edited by psycotrip

I have seen previous reports of the "two PCI.VXD bus types" error before and wondered how it could be solved... :unsure:

I had this error with this board, too. But the graphics card NV 7900 worked. There was a problem with the PCI-E 1x ports.

The only settings for video in the bios are "1mb/8mb" "DVMT/FIXED/COMBO" "Internal/PCI-E/PCI".

Is there a setting "PCI-E/PCI/Internal" to initialise the PCI-E first.

Yeah when I just tried a fresh install to get it to output to the pci-e card that's the setting I use, it works fine on the bootdisk and for the first half of setup before it detects hardware, then it just goes black. Otherwise it uses the onboard graphics. I don't have a PCI video card or another PCI-E card besides a 2x gtx660.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing around with a similar (if not the same MB) info here, note that schwups mentions a device --PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2771.DeviceDesc="Intel® 945G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port:

Tonight I did a clean install of 98SE and XP, neither of them list such a device in the registry or device manager. I got thinking about this and, as I mentioned in that post, my BIOS has a setting with two choices, one says 'PEG slot' and the other is 'On-chip VGA'. I don't have a PCI express graphics card, so my thinking is that's why this device is not enumerated.

I'm guessing your problem is that *that device* doesn't have a driver. If I were you and I really wanted to get that device to work, I'd do a clean install without that card in there, using only the onboard card then put the card in, selecting the PCI graphics option in the bios, boot to safe mode and see if the PCI Express Root Port is enumerated, either way don't install the real driver immediately. See if you can go into Windows Normally with just MS's generic VGA driver. I'd think that would be a good starting point -- see if that port has a driver and if you can boot with the card in its slot with a generic VGA driver.