Problems with WinPE Documentation

TheArtfulDodger

Hello:

I am trying to follow the first Walkthrough in the WinPE 4.0 Documentation and the second instruction fails:

Dism /mount-image /imagefile:C:\winpe_amd64\media\sources\boot.wim /index:<image_index> /mountdir:C:\winpe_amd64\mount

The system continues to return a message that "The system cannot find the file specified".

Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong? The file system created by the first command copype amd64 C:\winpe_amd64 is perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sparky

post-332456-0-62931800-1365698025_thumb.

Uh, YES!

<image_index> has to be a NUMBER!

Right here -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824879.aspx

In the following example, <image_index> is the number of the selected image on the .wim file.
IOW, there are multiple Images within the WIM for each Edition of Windows. Choose the one associated with your Edition and replace that "varable name" with (literally) the number (1,2,3,whichever). Edited by submix8c

Probably the first Image is the WinPE. Looking in a Dell (only one Edition=HomePremium for it) Vista BOOT.WIM yields two images, first one is WinPE.

Download 7-Zip, install it, right-click on the WIM and select "open with" (DON'T tick "always use this...") and scroll down to 7-Zip. After it opens, right click the XML file and open it "outside". You'll clearly see which Index is for what.

Edited by submix8c

@TheArtfulDodger

Try with 7-Zip 9.30 alpha or with 7-Zip 9.25 alpha

@submix8c

WinPE 4.0 means based on Windows 8 source.

You opened a Vista :ph34r: source.

.wim format has changed (a little), actually it did not really-really, but 7-zip 9.20 has/had only partial support, if I recall correctly.

@both

It's OK ;):

http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume1/v1i3/air-1-3-apples.html

Conclusions

Not only was this comparison easy to make, but it is apparent from the figure that apples and oranges are very similar. Thus, it would appear that the comparing apples and oranges defense should no longer be considered valid. This is a somewhat startling revelation. It can be anticipated to have a dramatic effect on the strategies used in arguments and discussions in the future.

jaclaz

.wim format has changed (a little), actually it did not really-really, but 7-zip 9.20 has/had only partial support, if I recall correctly.

Can you please elaborate. Been looking for info on it for a long time. :hello:

If I recall correctly 7-zip supported initially only some types of .wim compression, but not all.

To date the 7-zip 9.30 beta seemingly supports all of them.

What was the question?

jaclaz

Hello to all:

OK, I got 7z, version 9.30 alpha [64-bit] and that did open the .wim file up (I tend to avoid alpha and beta versions of software like this is why I wasn't using it) but I couldn't make hide nor hair of what I got!

So, I went to the suggestion of "imagex /info wim_file_name. That worked a treat! I attached a screen of what I found there. It turns out that there is only one image in the file, so now I can proceed with the walkthrough!

post-332456-0-14309200-1365775250_thumb.

Many thanks to all who made suggestions to help the old dodger!

Sparky

Edited by TheArtfulDodger

.wim format has changed (a little), actually it did not really-really [...]

If I recall correctly 7-zip supported initially only some types of .wim compression, but not all.

To date the 7-zip 9.30 beta seemingly supports all of them.

What was the question?

It was what/how did .wim change, in fact, from Win 7 to Win 8. Somewhat off-topic (or dispersive) I admit, but I just couldn't resist. :blushing:

You've managed to answer it without disrupting the thread, but now that the OP considered his problem solved, you might as well expand your reply, if you feel like it, though. :angel

Something definately was changed. I can't say exactly. I think the "XML" is the same as Windows 7 but not Vista, but I have found that Imagex does not deploy a Windows 8 image properly 100% of the time. But DISM works fine. That's all I can tell you about that but I bet its related.