Several Win 95 Questions

Hoko

Winsock2 says it needs TCP/IP, how do I get that?

:blink:

Hmm.. I don't think I've ever seen that before, but maybe TCP/IP was already installed on all of the systems I installed the Winsock2 update on. Windows 95 supports TCP/IP, but does not install it by default. It has to be manually selected during install or added afterward.

The TCP/IP protocol can be installed by going to:

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Network

stay on the Configuration tab

click Add

choose Protocol

click Add again

choose Microsoft

choose TCP/IP

click OK

you will have to restart at this point.

Edited by LoneCrusader

Added TCP/IP, rebooted, tried to reinstall Winsock 2 for win95 and get same message. "Install TCP/IP network protocol from win 95 disk (I looked for it on the disk and didn't see it). Restart setup. If it is already installed, reboot and run windows\WS2BAKUP\WS2BAKUP.BAT to restore Winsock components. Run setup again." I have WS2BAKUP on c drive but not WS2BAKUP.BAT. :blink:

Added TCP/IP, rebooted, tried to reinstall Winsock 2 for win95 and get same message. "Install TCP/IP network protocol from win 95 disk (I looked for it on the disk and didn't see it). Restart setup. If it is already installed, reboot and run windows\WS2BAKUP\WS2BAKUP.BAT to restore Winsock components. Run setup again." I have WS2BAKUP on c drive but not WS2BAKUP.BAT. :blink:

EXPLORER is probably set to "Hide filename extensions for known file types." In this case the .BAT would be hidden. I always disable that setting, and always turn on "Show All Files." ;)

Is this the right Winsock to be using?

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winsock/winsock2/

It's the ws295sdk.exe file.

No. Name of the package should be "W95ws2setup.exe." I don't have a link for it handy at the moment, but if you can't find it I will upload it somewhere. Try looking on MDGx.com under the 95/95OSR2 Updates sections.

Is this the right Winsock to be using?

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winsock/winsock2/

It's the ws295sdk.exe file.

No. Name of the package should be "W95ws2setup.exe." I don't have a link for it handy at the moment, but if you can't find it I will upload it somewhere. Try looking on MDGx.com under the 95/95OSR2 Updates sections.

OMG!, that should have been the first thing I checked a week ago. :whistle: :whistle:

Okay, I got the 256mb video now so I'm pretty well set as far as Win95 games go which is the purpose of this computer and onboard sound is ok but I think I would like a sound card that would be able to handle home theater speakers. Maybe soundblaster 16 . I have some ISA Soundblaster Vibra's but there is no separate control for treble and bass like the 16's have. I have tried to install the Vibra several times unsuccessfully. Going to have to find out what is needed to make them work.

AFAIK, the Vibra chip-based does not have Treble/Bass. I had a couple and recycled them. Actually, I had a whole MESS of Creative's. Sorry... :(

(edit - forgot to mention - I DO have the Vibra drivers.)

Scroll down and avoid the (Vibra) ones listed -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_16

FWIW, I could dig through my drivers to see which ones (models) I had (may still have) that do support the controls. Still, you'd have to find the hardware.

HTH

Edited by submix8c

AFAIK, the Vibra chip-based does not have Treble/Bass. I had a couple and recycled them. Actually, I had a whole MESS of Creative's. Sorry... :(

(edit - forgot to mention - I DO have the Vibra drivers.)

Scroll down and avoid the (Vibra) ones listed -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_16

FWIW, I could dig through my drivers to see which ones (models) I had (may still have) that do support the controls. Still, you'd have to find the hardware.

HTH

I ordered a CREATIVE LABS - SoundBlaster 16 ISA Sound Card CT2980 (not Vibra) on Amazon that should be here any day now so I'm looking for the correct drivers for that. I think I'm probably not going to use the Vibra's since they have no bass/treble controls.

Also, I'm not able to access the cdrom drive from DOS using the D: command. I found these solutions from Microsoft but have never messed with this stuff.

This behavior can occur if any of the following conditions exist:

The CD-ROM driver or Mscdex.exe file is disabled (commented) or missing from the Autoexec.bat or Config.sys file.

The CD-ROM driver or Mscdex.exe file is missing or damaged.

The startup disk does not contain the CD-ROM driver or Mscdex.exe file.

You have replaced the original CD-ROM and not updated MS-DOS drivers.

To access a CD-ROM drive when you boot to a Windows command prompt or restart the computer in MS-DOS mode, you must load the real-mode CD-ROM driver in the Config.sys file and the MSCDEX driver in the Autoexec.bat or Dosstart.bat file. If your CD-ROM drive is supported in protected mode in Windows, the real-mode CD-ROM and MSCDEX drivers are most likely not being loaded in the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat or Dosstart.bat files on the hard disk. In addition, if you boot from a floppy disk, the CD-ROM and MSCDEX drivers will not load unless you manually configure the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files on the floppy disk to load them.

Edited by Hoko

This Sound Card?

http://www.amazon.com/CREATIVE-LABS-SoundBlaster-Sound-CT2980/dp/B004571LK2

The Wikipedia link I gave claims it's a Vibra16 ISA PnP Value (no bass/treble).

Look here -

http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about772-15.html

and scroll down about 2/3 of a screen (or "find" the string "ct2980")... still a Vibra16...

CD-ROM won't be recognized in MS-DOS or going to DOS-Mode without EXACTLY what the MS Article said. You'll have to CREATE a "DOSSTART.BAT" as it (AFAICR) doesn't exist by default. If, however, under MS-Windows the CD-ROM is recognized, you don't want to change AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS.

Some tips here -

By what method did you Install from the CD-ROM? A Boot Floppy? :yes: Look at the contents of the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT using Notepad for an example. ;)

edit - AAAAAND some info on using the Sound Card in DOS -

Best bet for Bass/Treble - forget the Sound Card controlling them and try to find some Speakers with "knobs" on them. I use a set that also has a Volume Knob on it.

Edited by submix8c

This Sound Card?

http://www.amazon.com/CREATIVE-LABS-SoundBlaster-Sound-CT2980/dp/B004571LK2

The Wikipedia link I gave claims it's a Vibra16 ISA PnP Value (no bass/treble).

I was going more by the amount of I/O holes where you plug in. I've noticed the Vibra's have 3 and the 16's have 4. This one has 4. Don't even know if thats right, just an observation. But...

As you can see the 16 is much larger and has more stuff on the board than the Vibra.

010-1_zps616e2b84.jpg

The Vibra also only has 3 I/O ports.

008_zps9945ce66.jpg

And the SoundBlaster 16 has 4.

006-1_zpsca662f80.jpg

And the final verification is the label.

007-1_zps94a41614.jpg

Edited by Hoko

I was loading Dial-up Networking 1.4 and it was asking for some files from the Microsoft Dial-up Networking Package that I didn't have. netapi.dll, CFGWIZ.DLL, CFGWIZ32.EXE, NDSWAN16.DLL, NDSWAN32.DLL, WAN.TSP

Anyone know where I can get these?

All those files are included as part of the Dial Up Networking 1.4 Package. You seem to have an inordinate amount of trouble getting these updates to find themselves. :w00t::lol:

Seriously though, I don't know why the installer can't manage to find them itself. Try the advice I gave earlier (below), if that doesn't work, use 7-Zip or whatever to unpack the dun14-95.exe package and you will find those files inside msdun.cab.

Try pointing the Driver dialog to C:\WINDOWS, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM, C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS (if it exists), etc etc. The installation may have pre-copied the files to the proper locations, but the INF file is requesting them to copy again. This happens sometimes, even with Microsoft's own USBSUPP updates. :}

The installer may also be unpacking the files to a temporary folder under C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, so check there as well... :unsure: