Several Win 95 Questions

Hoko

I had ALSO stated that I (maybe) have (on my HDD) the CORRECT files for your Sound. AFAICT, there are TWO chips for the SOUND - the CS-chip and the AC97-chip. I actually used the PW4031.ZIP file - you MUST UNZIP IT!!!! Get 7-zip and install it THEN Unzip! Point to the Folder and-or (whatever).INF

ANOTHER EDIT!!! AHA!!!! All of the OTHER files for the CS4280(Sound)/CS4297(Codec) are WRONG and are for CS46xx-series for Win98 and UP! I have on my HDD the EXACT Win95/Win98 Drivers in a Package for YOUR EXACT SOUND HARDWARE! :yes: I'll see if I can find where I got it from.

FOUND!!!! Get the SMALL (second 1.1mb) one - the BIG (first) one is for 98/98SE/ME

http://nas.wowunix.com/down/Driver/audio/crystal/cs4280/

GUARANTEE this is the correct one! It's called a "Crystal Sound Fusion". But you SHOULD pull the ISA SoundBlaster Add-In out.

Downloaded it, It is not a zipped file

:unsure:

All of the files relevant to this Sound issue discussion ARE ZIP's...

The PW3041.ZIP file from jaclaz's earlier links is a WDM driver stack for Windows 98 & up ONLY, so it is irrelevant unless you simply want to archive it for use on 98 at some point.

The correct file you need is this one (crystal_CS4280.zip) from submix8c's last link. And it is a ZIP. :yes:

Thx LC

No problem B)

Driver Installation #20 was a smashing SUCCESS!! Thanks to Submix8c :thumbup Onboard graphics came alive on restart. I adjusted the resolution to something like 840/440 and was adjusting screen position when screen went blank and wouldn't come back on. I think maybe the smorgasboard of drivers I fed this poor computer made it sick! :puke: So I'm doing wipe and clean install as we speak. Hopefully were on to something here :)

OK, on a side note - that EXE file I pointed you to is OBVIOUSLY not a ZIP file! I said RUN the EXE and IT will unPACK to a folder of your choice and AUTOMATICALLY RUN the Installer - it's a Self-Extracting Installer. You apparently were confusing it with the OTHER one.

No matter...

You mean "640 x 480"?

Adjusting Screen Position can't be from Drivers - that's strictly hardware. You may have a bad monitor? FWIW, you MAY want the INF file for your Monitor. If you say what the Model is on back I may have one. It DOES help a bit.

OK, on a side note - that EXE file I pointed you to is OBVIOUSLY not a ZIP file! I said RUN the EXE and IT will unPACK to a folder of your choice and AUTOMATICALLY RUN the Installer - it's a Self-Extracting Installer. You apparently were confusing it with the OTHER one.

No matter...

You mean "640 x 480"?

Adjusting Screen Position can't be from Drivers - that's strictly hardware. You may have a bad monitor? FWIW, you MAY want the INF file for your Monitor. If you say what the Model is on back I may have one. It DOES help a bit.

Yeah, I must have been thinking of the sound file. I am downloading all these drivers on my Win7 computer, putting them on cd and transferring them to my Win95 computer. Would it be better just to put my Win95 computer online and download them directly?

I'm installing the onboard sound drivers now. When I install the Crystal Sound Fusion files it tells me to restart the cpmputer. After restart it asks for the driver. I give it the path to the driver and it asks for the Crystal Sound Fusion driver disk #1 that is provided by my computer manufacturer. (Which I don't have) I give it the path to the driver file on the C drive again and it says it can't find the files. Anyone know what I should do from here?

Edited by Hoko

I'm installing the onboard sound drivers now. When I install the Crystal Sound Fusion files it tells me to restart the cpmputer. After restart it asks for the driver. I give it the path to the driver and it asks for the Crystal Sound Fusion driver disk #1 that is provided by my computer manufacturer. (Which I don't have) I give it the path to the driver file on the C drive again and it says it can't find the files. Anyone know what I should do from here?

Try pointing the Driver dialog to C:\WINDOWS, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM, C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS (if it exists), etc etc. The installation may have pre-copied the files to the proper locations, but the INF file is requesting them to copy again. This happens sometimes, even with Microsoft's own USBSUPP updates. :}

The installer may also be unpacking the files to a temporary foler under C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, so check there as well... :unsure:

IF you are using the "crystal_CS4280.zip" THEN -

1 - UNZIP to ANOTHER folder of your choice. You must CREATE one FIRST!

2 - DO NOT use the SETUP.EXE found inside. POINT to the FOLDER and/or the "CWCAUDIO.INF" instead.

3 - IF you are asked to REBOOOT -and- asked, POINT TO THAT FOLDER again!

Inside that INF is THIS

[DestinationDirs]
CS4610SP.CopyList = 10,cwcdata
DefaultDestDir = 11
<snip>
[SourceDisksNames]
1=%Disk1Name%,,0001
73170=WHQL,"",73170

[SourceDisksFiles]
cwc3d.os_=1
<snip>
FUSV2870.cat=73170

[Strings]
<snip>
Disk1Name="Crystal SoundFusion(tm) Driver Disk 1"
Disk2Name="Crystal SoundFusion(tm) Driver Disk 2"

THESE specifically mean "what-folder/where-the-files-are" (Source) and where to COPY them to (Destination). Explaining how an INF works here is beside the point and numerous topics exist on MSFN for that so I don't want to repeat all of the details. The "SETUP.EXE" is totally unnecessary/irrelevant.

Directly from the Motherboard Documentation

Audio Subsystem

• Crystal CS4280 PCI audio controller with fully DOS Games compatibility via PC/PCI, DDMA support

• Compatible with sound blaster, sound blaster pro, and window sound system

• Enhanced Stereo full duplex operation

• Advanced MPC3-compatible input and output mixer

• Joystick port and MPU-401 compatible MIDI interface

• PC97 and PC98 compliance(and compliance with preliminary PC99)

The Block Diagram has the Sound Chip as "CS4280" and the AC97 Codec Chip as "CS4297". These work in conjunction with each other if you look at it. Google this
cs4280 cs4297

gives a bunch of Datasheets and Links that say "Sound Fusion". Here is a link to the Vendor's Website announcing the Chip - http://www.cirrus.com/en/company/releases/P109.html and THIS gives a Self-Extracting WINZIP file that specifically states THAT COMBO OF CHIPS and the contents are nearly IDENTICAL! http://www.fujitsu-pc-asia.com/driversupport/archiveddriver/Desktop/drv_dp6000_sc6.html

If you read the FIRST link you'll see why the Drivers for CS4610 Chip work with CS4280 Chip.

You're doing something wrong! I can NOT test this as I NO LONGER HAVE any of the old PC's because they went to the Recyclers.

(sigh...) Searched some more. Apparently HP XM600 uses it too! Here is a COMPLETE package (nearly identical and NEWER) but ALSO includes (from the Readme) "CrystalWave Software Synthesizer version 2.33". IOW, you DO have EXACTLY what's needed and are OBVIOUSLY doing it wrong! AND from reading THIS the "SETUP.EXE" should work!

[installation]

1. Using Explorer or My Computer, search for the CrystalWave installation

files and double click on FV2883\SETUP.EXE to install the driver.

2. Using Explorer or My Computer, search for the CrystalWave installation

files and double click on CWUS233R\SETUP.EXE in order to

to install the Wave Table Application.

Press the "Install CrystalWave Synthesizer" button.

Then follow the instructions.

Please note that DirectX is a requirement and must be

installed in order for Wave Table Application to work.

HTH...

Edited by submix8c

Starting to remember 95's way of doing things, using programs to load things (add hardware, software) instead of just using executable files like windows has become. Got the 4280 sound in device manager without errors and usb in DM with no errors now. Neither of them work yet. Need to get Crystal 4281 set up now and go into the bios to check if usb is turned on. Anyone know how to get into the bios on this eMachine?

Anyone know how to get into the bios on this eMachine?

Off the top of my head without doing any specific searching...

Try F1, F2, and the other function keys if those don't work.

I seem to remember a machine once that needed CTRL pressed along with the Function key... :unsure:

If none of that works you can always try holding down a key while the machine boots and see if you get an error. Usually the error will ask you (and provide the proper Keys) to enter SETUP (the BIOS) or proceed normally.

AMI BIOS... A HINT - Press the "Pause/Break" button (top row, far right) when you first turn it it. If you're lucky (no Manufacturer Logo), it'll show you AND give your exact BIOS-ID.

Here's a "general list" of BIOS Access Keys -

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/a/biosaccess_bios.htm

Again, be aware of the BIOS updates provided that MAY not work. If you REALLY want to Update the BIOS, I'll check them out and give EXACT procedures for backup/restore if worse-to-worse. It APPEARS to (maybe) have two different BIOS Chip manufacturer types, MXIC/Macronix or "Other"/ST-something-or-other. Potentially, you can get up to 32gb HDD and a "better" CPU (up to a 533mhz) to work in it. I think your RAM may be maxed out.

I have the Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller and the USB Root Hub in Device Manager. Now the loading box for the Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller is coming up requesting the openhci.sys file. Do I need that or should I ignore that?

Also, another strange thing. I loaded the 4281 Crystal sound file and Sound Devices in Device Manager vanished. Both the 4280 and the 4281 files were executable.

Did you install USBSUPP.EXE and then USBUPD2.EXE (see Post #2)?

What do you mean by "Both the 4280 and the 4281 files were executable"? Use the single one suggested.

Did you ever get into your BIOS?

1 - In BIOS, Enable all Devices. You can use the Function Key stated there to allow for "Use BIOS Defaults" or "Use Setup Defaults" (the latter is exists is preferable).

2 -No Add-In Cards. They get added later - remove them.

3 - Set the Jumper on the MotherBoard to use On-Board Video.

4 - Install your Win95C. Allow Reboots when requested.

5 - Reboot, then Install the Video Driver. Allow Reboots when requested.

6 - Reboot, then Install the Sound Driver. Allow Reboots when requested.

7 - Reboot, then Install the USB Drivers (Post#2). Allow Reboots when requested.

8 - Reboot.

DO NOT install any Updates or Update Packs until all Hardware is functional. Report back the results, step-by-step what you did.

Installing a "basic" Windows95 on that PC is not complicated. It was specifically designed for Windows 98 (First Edition) so will easily accept Windows 95c (Last Edition).

Edited by submix8c

From the Florida-TGA Docuument

April, 22 2000

Audio Chipset is changed (CS4280->CS4281)

Form a new model Florida-TG(A)

Otherwise, they are physically the same. 466is is a Florida-TG. To confirm, look at the Chip for the Sound in the place on the Motherboard that your Florida-TG Document says it's at.

From the "elhvb" website (link previously given)

eTower 366id, 366is, 366i2, 400i2, 400ix, 400id, 400idx, 400i3, 433i, 466i, 466id, 466is, 466ix, 500is, 500ix, 500i, 500idx, 533i

Florida-TG/TGA Micro ATX (ATX V1.2 form factor) motherboard, TriGem, Korea Intel Socket-370 (370pin PPGA Socket) for Intel Celeron CPUs Intel 440LX core and ITE8673 Super I/O controller ATI Rage Pro Turbo built-in AGP graphics accelerator with 4MB SGRAM Crystal CS4280/CS4281 built-in Sound Blaster Pro, MPC-3, MPU-401 compatible Audio Enhanced Stereo full duplex operation.

If all of this is confusing you, look here -

http://www.cirrus.com/en/support/drivers/audio/OS21.html

You will have to "physically" (visually) confirm your Chip Name.

Edited by submix8c

From the Florida-TGA Docuument

April, 22 2000

Audio Chipset is changed (CS4280->CS4281)

Form a new model Florida-TG(A)

Otherwise, they are physically the same. 466is is a Florida-TG. To confirm, look at the Chip for the Sound in the place on the Motherboard that your Florida-TG Document says it's at.

From the "elhvb" website (link previously given)

eTower 366id, 366is, 366i2, 400i2, 400ix, 400id, 400idx, 400i3, 433i, 466i, 466id, 466is, 466ix, 500is, 500ix, 500i, 500idx, 533i

Florida-TG/TGA Micro ATX (ATX V1.2 form factor) motherboard, TriGem, Korea Intel Socket-370 (370pin PPGA Socket) for Intel Celeron CPUs Intel 440LX core and ITE8673 Super I/O controller ATI Rage Pro Turbo built-in AGP graphics accelerator with 4MB SGRAM Crystal CS4280/CS4281 built-in Sound Blaster Pro, MPC-3, MPU-401 compatible Audio Enhanced Stereo full duplex operation.

If all of this is confusing you, look here -

http://www.cirrus.com/en/support/drivers/audio/OS21.html

You will have to "physically" (visually) confirm your Chip Name.

Thx Sub,

Yes, it is the 4280 chip.