Several Win 95 Questions

Hoko

I was loading Dial-up Networking 1.4 and it was asking for some files from the Microsoft Dial-up Networking Package that I didn't have. netapi.dll, CFGWIZ.DLL, CFGWIZ32.EXE, NDSWAN16.DLL, NDSWAN32.DLL, WAN.TSP

Anyone know where I can get these?

LOL. You're still using a modem with a dial-up ISP?

Or is it for PPPoE?

Or is it for PPPoE?

It's not that simple. The old "Dial-Up Networking" updates for Windows 9x contained updates for all "networking" functions in general. So one should install these whether you use dial-up or not. ;)

All those files are included as part of the Dial Up Networking 1.4 Package. You seem to have an inordinate amount of trouble getting these updates to find themselves. :w00t::lol:

Seriously though, I don't know why the installer can't manage to find them itself. Try the advice I gave earlier (below), if that doesn't work, use 7-Zip or whatever to unpack the dun14-95.exe package and you will find those files inside msdun.cab.

Try pointing the Driver dialog to C:\WINDOWS, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM, C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS (if it exists), etc etc. The installation may have pre-copied the files to the proper locations, but the INF file is requesting them to copy again. This happens sometimes, even with Microsoft's own USBSUPP updates. :}

The installer may also be unpacking the files to a temporary folder under C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, so check there as well... :unsure:

I will check on those. Not sure how to put them into DUN1.4 after I find them. I just skipped over those files during installation and the program loaded successfully. Thx

• 3 weeks later...

To take a different rabbit trail, I found a website that sells and repairs motherboards. http://www.motherboardnow.com/Emachines-eTower-466is-Motherboard-System-Board-Replacement-3C40P1377578 All the USB ports on my emachine 466is motherboard and small front board are trashed :} and was looking for someone who could repair them or sold that motherboard. I sent an email a few days ago but haven't received a reply yet. Anyone know if this site is legit? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

To take a different rabbit trail, I found a website that sells and repairs motherboards. http://www.motherboardnow.com/Emachines-eTower-466is-Motherboard-System-Board-Replacement-3C40P1377578 All the USB ports on my emachine 466is motherboard and small front board are trashed :} and was looking for someone who could repair them or sold that motherboard. I sent an email a few days ago but haven't received a reply yet. Anyone know if this site is legit? :unsure:

Fortunately I found a better option. I found a Florida TG motherboard on ebay :w00t: and should be here any day now. No more messing around with trying to get USB fixed. B)

• 1 month later...

Or is it for PPPoE?

It's not that simple. The old "Dial-Up Networking" updates for Windows 9x contained updates for all "networking" functions in general. So one should install these whether you use dial-up or not. ;)

Which of these should I use for Win95 and which ones should I scrap? :unsure:

wmi9x 95

w95usbflash11

usbview Win95

tapi2195

regedits 95

paint 95

ntfs_h 95

immc win 95

grphlts 95 paint update

dst_9x

crypt9x

Also am trying to download USBSUPP.EXE but not sure how that Zshare page works

Edited by Hoko

wmi9x 95

w95usbflash11

usbview Win95

tapi2195

regedits 95

paint 95

ntfs_h 95

immc win 95

grphlts 95 paint update

dst_9x

crypt9x

All of them should be fine except USBVIEW and w95usbflash11.

USBVIEW does NOT work under 95 at all, and for now, use USBSTR95 rather than w95usbflash11. USBSTR95 provides the best currently publicly available USB Storage solution for 95.

On zShare, you click "Free Download", and you have to endure an ad popup, then you wait 25 seconds or so while it counts down, and then click to download.

wmi9x 95

w95usbflash11

usbview Win95

tapi2195

regedits 95

paint 95

ntfs_h 95

immc win 95

grphlts 95 paint update

dst_9x

crypt9x

All of them should be fine except USBVIEW and w95usbflash11.

USBVIEW does NOT work under 95 at all, and for now, use USBSTR95 rather than w95usbflash11. USBSTR95 provides the best currently publicly available USB Storage solution for 95.

On zShare, you click "Free Download", and you have to endure an ad popup, then you wait 25 seconds or so while it counts down, and then click to download.

Thx for that info LC :)

Is that USBSTR95 program the same thing as NUSB?

Edited by Hoko

Thx for that info LC :)

Is that USBSTR95 program the same thing as NUSB?

No problem. ;)

USBSTR95 is "as close as you can get" to NUSB for Windows 95 at the moment.

It supports basically all USB Flash Drives and all USB Floppy Drives. Card Readers are a toss up. USB Hard Drives don't work, and neither do USB CDROMs, etc, don't know about USB ZIP drives.

It suffers from a limitation, only ONE USB Flash Drive can be connected ONE time per Windows 95 session. You must reboot before you can use another (or the same) Flash Drive again. w95usbflash11 has this same limitation, as both packages use the same core drivers for Flash Drives.

The best thing about USBSTR95 is that it provides a nice Unplug/Eject utility that is otherwise not available under 95 like under 98SE/ME.

Hopefully, a better USB Storage Solution for 95 will be available soon. :angel

• 1 year later...

Hello all you good folks!  Thanks so much for helping me put Win 95, 98se and XP on three different old machines back in 2013 (Mainly Submix and Lone Crusader)  These machines have and are still running great!  :w00t:  I use them a lot, old games and such.  I put wireless mice on my 98 and XP machines and they work good but haven't been able to make it work with the windows 95 machine.  Is it possible to make it work with that one? :huh:  Oh, I almost forgot I also tried using a usb mouse and it didn't work either.  Even though the usb port looks fine, I suppose there is the possibility it is not working or a driver problem but don't know how to test it any other way.

Edited by Hoko

There are no working Drivers for USB Keyboards or Mice on Windows 95.

LoneCrusader and I have been working on this problem for quite some time.

We have come up with a way to graft Windows 98 WDM Support onto a Windows 95 System.

This provides support for Keyboards, Mice, Networks and USB 2 Cards and Drives.

Hello all you good folks!  Thanks so much for helping me put Win 95, 98se and XP on three different old machines back in 2013 (Mainly Submix and Lone Crusader)  These machines have and are still running great!  :w00t:  I use them a lot, old games and such.  I put wireless mice on my 98 and XP machines and they work good but haven't been able to make it work with the windows 95 machine.  Is it possible to make it work with that one? :huh:  Oh, I almost forgot I also tried using a usb mouse and it didn't work either.  Even though the usb port looks fine, I suppose there is the possibility it is not working or a driver problem but don't know how to test it any other way.

Hello again! :hello:  Glad to hear everything is still working!

As rloew has already pointed out, there are no existing USB-HID (Mice\Keyboards\Joysticks) drivers that work under Windows 95. We have been able to graft Windows 98 NTKERN + the Windows ME USB Stack + Windows 98SE USB-HID stack onto a Windows 95 system. USB2 drivers can be loaded as well but may suffer issues depending on the hardware. This of course requires several specialized files designed by rloew and some patches to NTKERN, along with a file from a Beta version of Windows 98.

It won't help with your USB Mouse, but a replacement package is now available that replaces all of the Microsoft USBSUPP packages and also replaces USBSTR95. The provided USB Storage driver is much more robust and handles basically every USB Storage type of device that could be obtained for testing. HDDs, optical drives (including Blu-Ray), ZIP drives, flash drives, flash card readers, FDDs, etc etc. Even U3 devices. It is as close to NUSB as you can get for 95 now, unless you have the hybrid system rloew and I have described.

Hello again! :hello:  Glad to hear everything is still working!

As rloew has already pointed out, there are no existing USB-HID (Mice\Keyboards\Joysticks) drivers that work under Windows 95. We have been able to graft Windows 98 NTKERN + the Windows ME USB Stack + Windows 98SE USB-HID stack onto a Windows 95 system. USB2 drivers can be loaded as well but may suffer issues depending on the hardware. This of course requires several specialized files designed by rloew and some patches to NTKERN, along with a file from a Beta version of Windows 98.

It won't help with your USB Mouse, but a replacement package is now available that replaces all of the Microsoft USBSUPP packages and also replaces USBSTR95. The provided USB Storage driver is much more robust and handles basically every USB Storage type of device that could be obtained for testing. HDDs, optical drives (including Blu-Ray), ZIP drives, flash drives, flash card readers, FDDs, etc etc. Even U3 devices. It is as close to NUSB as you can get for 95 now, unless you have the hybrid system rloew and I have described.

That is a real breakthrough!  Congratulations! :w00t:   I don't mess with any storage devices on this computer except the hard drive so I'll probably wait till I have to reload 95 sometime to put it in.  I don't want to risk opening that can of worms atm! :o I think I'll do the next best thing and stock up on some new ps2 mice (I hope they are still making them) cause this old dell mouse is pretty bad. :thumbdown  

I put a file with this in it on my Win7 desktop to remind me.  Thx LC!  :w00t:  Didn't MS add some kind of USB support to the later version of Win95?  What USB devices did that enable?

Edited by Hoko

Well, MS Basic Mouse is robust and reliable, optical, has a scroll wheel and works both on USB and on the PS/2 port with a passive adapter (included), and is not EoL. Give its DataSheet a look. I have two of them working great for a long time already.

Oh, thats great! :w00t:   They're still making stuff for PS/2, awesome!

Edited by Hoko