Several Win 95 Questions

Hoko

The motherboard video drivers need Direct X 8.1 to work and from what I've seen, Win 95 cannot use anything past Direct X 8.0. I hope I'm wrong about this. Is there a way to deal with this?

Do you actually get an error when you try to install them, or does it just say that in the documentation somewhere?

If the documentation just makes this claim, I would try installing them anyway. I highly doubt that there is enough difference between DirectX 8.0a and 8.1 to keep a driver from working...

If you do get some kind of error, see if there are any earlier versions of the video drivers.

When I tried to load the graphics driver it tells me it has to have DX8.1.

Do it. If nothing turns out to work "as is", then we undergo the trouble of trying to edit the .inf of some of them, OK?

ATi drivers usually are well behaved but, in case of need, do have at hand the great freeware Driver Cleaner Pro Version 1.5 (*NOT* Driver Cleaner .NET !!!). So, please, make sure to get it, just in case, OK?

According to Wiki (yeah, I know...) the last supported version of DX was v8.0a. I'm not really sure "cheating" the "wme-j5" INF would successfully function. Oldapps (you can download them from here also) syas the same thing (text from Wiki?). HOWEVER, strange as it seems, Brothersoft (don't bother downloading from them) states Win98/ME but in the Descriptive says "Last one for Win95".

Just curious - have you installed DirectX on your box before attempting install of the Drivers? You could TRY the DX8.1 and the "wme-j5" file -OR- (failing that install) try again with "DX8.0a" and the file I provided. The Rage, according to (yuk) Wiki utilizes (minimum) DX6, which is also what I seen inside of the file I suggested. You will NEED DX installed (preferably either one of 8.0a or 8.1 whichever works) in any case before the Video Driver is installed for it to properly function.

Side notes - googling

directx 8.1 "windows 95"

generally indicates that it's NOT to be used on Win95, but instead Win98 and up. Hacking the "wme-" one MIGHT work (REALLY :unsure: about that)... I think I ran into this before with the Rage Chips and Win95 (all of those OLD mobo's are long-gone)... That particular set of Drivers has a REAL "generic" set of VID/PID for the "Rage Pro Turbo" (two BIG lines in "ati9xae.inf" - "subsys" portion truncated off). You can check the contents of the one I suggested by simply running it to the "unpacked" (you can choose a directory) then cancel the "install".

HTH (a bit more...)

Just curious - have you installed DirectX on your box before attempting install of the Drivers? You could TRY the DX8.1 and the "wme-j5" file -OR- (failing that install) try again with "DX8.0a" and the file I provided. The Rage, according to (yuk) Wiki utilizes (minimum) DX6, which is also what I seen inside of the file I suggested. You will NEED DX installed (preferably either one of 8.0a or 8.1 whichever works) in any case before the Video Driver is installed for it to properly function.

Side notes - googling

directx 8.1 "windows 95"

generally indicates that it's NOT to be used on Win95, but instead Win98 and up. Hacking the "wme-" one MIGHT work (REALLY :unsure: about that)... I think I ran into this before with the Rage Chips and Win95 (all of those OLD mobo's are long-gone)... That particular set of Drivers has a REAL "generic" set of VID/PID for the "Rage Pro Turbo" (two BIG lines in "ati9xae.inf" - "subsys" portion truncated off). You can check the contents of the one I suggested by simply running it to the "unpacked" (you can choose a directory) then cancel the "install".

HTH (a bit more...)

I did install DX8 but do not know where 95 hides those files, not in remove programs. Tried to install 8.1 but it rejects it. I'm not sure what file is the file you provided or what it is for, please elaborate. I'm continuing to try loading some more drivers tonight. Hope something works. :angel

Any driver package that claims to require DirectX 8.1 is NOT for Windows 95. Some of them might work anyway, so it was worth the effort as I advised earlier, but 8.0a is the last version working on 95. There ARE drivers out there for this device that WILL work on 95, because I have Radeon 8500 drivers for 95 and the Radeon 8500 is quite a bit newer than the chip in question.

The Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2X chipset is showing up in the Device manager now and is asking for Mach64 windows9x driver disk #2 and its also trying to accept the PW3041 Crystal Sound drivers but even though I give it the full path to the cd file it is not accessing it for some reason. I put a few of the drivers that would fit on a floppy and it found those but the next single driver wont fit on a floppy. -_-

(sigh...) Not to be a "nag" BUT!!!!

THIS one!

It APPEARS that file "w82560en.exe" is the "correct" one (for that era) and is slightly "newer" (the Version) than the "driverguide" one. It can be downloaded from here
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/w82560en.exe

(still there...) and APPEARS to be the "full" version I cited previously.

Just download it, DOUBLE-CLICK it, it will ask WHERE to Unpack it to, and will proceed (AUTOMATICALLY) to run the Install (UNLESS you CANCEL the Install). I actually RAN and UNPACKED it on my NTFS (XP/2K3) OS and CANCELLED the Install (didn't I say that?). The files are currently sitting inside the FolderName I gave it to Unpack to. It is the OFFICIAL from ATI one (see the link?)!!! I had gotten it a LONG TIME ago when ATI was NOT owned by AMD! I have USED this one BEFORE!

I had ALSO stated that I (maybe) have (on my HDD) the CORRECT files for your Sound. AFAICT, there are TWO chips for the SOUND - the CS-chip and the AC97-chip. I actually used the PW4031.ZIP file - you MUST UNZIP IT!!!! Get 7-zip and install it THEN Unzip! Point to the Folder and-or (whatever).INF

EDIT!!!! OW-EEE! I just noticed your FIRST PICTURE has an Add-In ISA SoundBlaster (of SOME kind)! That complicates the Sound matter since the OnBoard is what we're also battling!

Edit Follow-up - WHY is that site suggesting a CS-46xx Sound Driver when the MANUAL states "Crystal CS4280 PCI audio controller"? Even CRAZIER is the fact that it's providing a Win98 driver NOT Win95! Going to the Website Jaclaz provided, SCROLLING DOWN you see the Win95 one (for DIFFERENT chip)! FOLKS WE ARE CONFUSING THINGS BADLY!!! Lets work on the VIDEO first! Leave the Sound ALONE for now!

ANOTHER EDIT!!! AHA!!!! All of the OTHER files for the CS4280(Sound)/CS4297(Codec) are WRONG and are for CS46xx-series for Win98 and UP! I have on my HDD the EXACT Win95/Win98 Drivers in a Package for YOUR EXACT SOUND HARDWARE! :yes: I'll see if I can find where I got it from.

FOUND!!!! Get the SMALL (second 1.1mb) one - the BIG (first) one is for 98/98SE/ME

http://nas.wowunix.com/down/Driver/audio/crystal/cs4280/

GUARANTEE this is the correct one! It's called a "Crystal Sound Fusion". But you SHOULD pull the ISA SoundBlaster Add-In out.

Edited by submix8c

? You DO (also Video - must be PCI - not seen in Picture)???

AFAICR, you can add another VideoCard and MAYBE another SoundCard. The OnBoard Video has a limited amount of RAM so it does kind of stink. I THINK I had done that on a 533id (can't remember...). Will check to see how the OnBoard gets Disabled, if at all. If NOT, you'll (probably) have to select WHICH Device you'll be using ATM. Others may chime in on this particular subject...

edit here for looked at Document - Jumper J1 will Disable On-Board Video. You'll need the Win95 Drivers for WHATEVER Add-On VideoCard you put in...

As far as Sound, I'm pretty sure you can have BOTH if yu REALLY want to and just select the appropriate Device in (various) Managers.

Also APPEARS that to use OnBoard Joystick you need an Add-On Cable. Not sure if that USB Header is for an additional USB Connector or not (see page #12).

Start without extra Add-On Cards and work from there. You MAY not need them, depending on what you intend to do with the computer. You ARE, after all, installing Win95 on it...

Edited by submix8c

(sigh...) Not to be a "nag" BUT!!!!

THIS one!

It APPEARS that file "w82560en.exe" is the "correct" one (for that era) and is slightly "newer" (the Version) than the "driverguide" one. It can be downloaded from here
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/w82560en.exe

(still there...) and APPEARS to be the "full" version I cited previously.

Just download it, DOUBLE-CLICK it, it will ask WHERE to Unpack it to, and will proceed (AUTOMATICALLY) to run the Install (UNLESS you CANCEL the Install). I actually RAN and UNPACKED it on my NTFS (XP/2K3) OS and CANCELLED the Install (didn't I say that?). The files are currently sitting inside the FolderName I gave it to Unpack to. It is the OFFICIAL from ATI one (see the link?)!!! I had gotten it a LONG TIME ago when ATI was NOT owned by AMD! I have USED this one BEFORE!

I had ALSO stated that I (maybe) have (on my HDD) the CORRECT files for your Sound. AFAICT, there are TWO chips for the SOUND - the CS-chip and the AC97-chip. I actually used the PW4031.ZIP file - you MUST UNZIP IT!!!! Get 7-zip and install it THEN Unzip! Point to the Folder and-or (whatever).INF

Downloaded it, It is not a zipped file

Edited by Hoko

Should I get 7zip .exe or .msi?

Get the .exe version. The MSI version will probably require Microsoft Installer 2.0 to be installed (not a problem because it works on 95 but it's yet another update to install :lol: )

Thx LC