Windows 98SE installation error OEMCD001

alysak5473

But, as we have tried to warn you, this is not easy, if possible at all, to do on more modern hardware. Is there a reason that the software you want to run on Win98 won't run on Win98 inside a VM? You probably stand a better chance of succeeding with a dual-boot on your 2001 era laptop, but it would help if you would supply a more complete description of this laptop.

Cheers and Regards

Moreover, one machine at a time. You sure'll learn a lot from installing 98 on the 2001 laptop, while keeping the XP. To do it well and right, it may take several days, with lots of posts from you and responses from us. To do both machines at once is to court disaster. All you'll accomplish is to hose both, IMO. And there's some reading to be done, before even beginning, like what are and how to create and redeploy images.

Your Motherboard specifically states what the SATA Connector Number is (on the board itself). In addition, I'd bet that the BIOS specifically states which Device is connected to Which One.

You were given the "basic steps".

You will have to EXTRACT the Boot Image, OPEN IT in an Floppy Image Editor, EXTRACT the "CONFIG.SYS", CHANGE it, REINSERT IT into the Image, then RECREATE YOUR CD! An ALTERNATIVE would be to put the MODIFIED Image onto a Real Floppy.
Use them. Simply REPLACE the "oakcdrom.sys" with "gcdrom.sys" and INCLUDE the "Cx" parameter in the same line.

What more do you want?

Your Motherboard specifically states what the SATA Connector Number is (on the board itself). In addition, I'd bet that the BIOS specifically states which Device is connected to Which One.

You were given the "basic steps".

You will have to EXTRACT the Boot Image, OPEN IT in an Floppy Image Editor, EXTRACT the "CONFIG.SYS", CHANGE it, REINSERT IT into the Image, then RECREATE YOUR CD! An ALTERNATIVE would be to put the MODIFIED Image onto a Real Floppy.
Use them. Simply REPLACE the "oakcdrom.sys" with "gcdrom.sys" and INCLUDE the "Cx" parameter in the same line.

What more do you want?

Hi,

I found the oakcdrom.sys file but it is in a .cab file. I tried to use winrar but I cant put the file into the cab file. Anyone know how to do this. I also dont know where the config.sys file is as well.

Thanks.

I wanted to install a second operating system on my computer which is windows 98. I didn't create a second partition though for the operating system.

Maybe a step back is required anyway.

:unsure:

99.99999% the only partition on that disk is NTFS, AND unless you carefully plan the install (which WILL require a second partition, FAT or FAT32, and additionally within LBA48 adrresses :whistle: ) it is very, very likely that a "plain" Windows 98 install (once you have solved the CD-ROM drivers issue) will "botch" the Windows 7 install for good (and from what you wrote you don't seem - no offence whatever intended :) - expert enough to fix/restore the windows 7.

Yes :yes:, running the Windows 98 inside a VM would be (besides much easier) the "right" solution.

If you want to go ahead anyway, STRONGLY NOT advised (by me), you can always install from hard disk (and that will solve "at the root" SATA CD drivers issues).

See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179756/en-us

Running Windows 98 Setup from Your Hard Disk

By copying all the Setup files to your hard disk and then installing from your hard disk, you can eliminate most of the problems associated with file copy and disk I/O issues. You can unload your CD-ROM drivers and free up conventional memory to assist with low memory errors in this type of install. To copy the Setup files locally:

jaclaz

And to follow up on jaclaz' post - I REPEAT - that FILE you change is IN THE BOOT IMAGE of the CD and it's a LINE inside of the "CONFIG.SYS" file that's INSIDE the Boot Image. REREAD my posts! AND you NEVER said if you can REBURN the CD after altered - it would HAVE to be REBUILT!

Post 7 (me), 10 (you), 18 (me), 19 (you) - I WILL NOT REPEAT IT AGAIN!!!! :angry:

And to follow up on jaclaz' post - ...

No. :no:

Don't cite me as a reference, I tried to suggest that in order to make things much easier there is actually NO need of using the CD nor to modify anything , maybe you meant "besides jaclaz's post" :whistle: .

jaclaz