hp C4280 running on Win98se

51pa22

well so far have managed to get most of the functions to work on the C4280.

Beating the system into submission

I can read a SD memory card and scan an image at 200dpi 8.5x11.

I still have 2 "Other devices" listed in the device manager

1 HPPhotosmart C4200 series

2 Photosmart C4200 series.

I have not tried to print (bad, old or empty print cartridges)

Yet I do have the Dot4USB HPZ12 loaded and showing and

the HP Photosmart C4200 listed in the Imaging Device

with USBHPO08 listed with Photosmart C4200 (USBPRINTER) showing after the USB controllers.

what I did (I THINK) was to edit the ini file in the AiO_071_000_201_000_CDA_Default-Express_NonNetwork_AmericasEuro1.exe to include the C4200.

The definitions came from the current HP (mar 2013) download from HP for the C4200 series Photosmart Printers.

Still need to clean up my notes a bid

Just wanted to let others know there is a way

Edited by 51pa22

Is C4200 the same as OfficeJet 4200?

If so, I have some W98 drivers to suit ... they're in a 5.5MB file called 'HP_AiO.zip' (with an MD5 hash of 58dbdf46e77c0b9f6b69169491611f73).

I also have a driver disk that came with a PSC 1610, which may include support for your combo too. I had some frustrating experience with this once, as I described here : However, the software on this disk is huge and I'm not sure where that disk is at the moment.

Unfortunately, MS forced HP to remove many of their W98 drivers a few years ago, so for example, today you won't find W98 drivers for the PSC 1610 at HP.

Joe.

jds

Thanks for the reply.

The C4200 (mine is C4280) is a Photosmart. printer. Print, flat bed scaner, with built in multi card reader,---USB interface only. No FAX or telephone interface (RJ11)

I would bet the USB stack would work.

I still have not back tracked to find out what INF or INI files I modified to get my Photosmart C4200 on line.

What I did was fine the C4100 and C3100 drivers for XP and 2000, and the C4200 drivers for XP all currently on HP's download site.

reading the setup .ini files and tracking down, I found the listings for the C4200 series ini and inf files (HP Photosmart C4200 series) and added the definitions to the C4200 every where the C4100 was listed.

I think the trick (in my case) was entering the correct vid &pid for the C4200.

it seems both the C4100 and C4200 use the same drivers for XP so it made sence the would use the same drivers for Win98

I still have some issues with the fonts in HP SCANNING (HPQSCNVW.EXE 7.0.0.177) but I am still working on it.

Some of HP's Windows 2000 installations have all of the software for Win98 still inside. They just do not have the definitions for the current products to self identify under Win98. Hence the hack.

PS Thanks again for the offer of the drivers jds.

jds

Thanks for the reply.

The C4200 (mine is C4280) is a Photosmart. printer. Print, flat bed scaner, with built in multi card reader,---USB interface only. No FAX or telephone interface (RJ11)

I would bet the USB stack would work.

I still have not back tracked to find out what INF or INI files I modified to get my Photosmart C4200 on line.

What I did was fine the C4100 and C3100 drivers for XP and 2000, and the C4200 drivers for XP all currently on HP's download site.

reading the setup .ini files and tracking down, I found the listings for the C4200 series ini and inf files (HP Photosmart C4200 series) and added the definitions to the C4200 every where the C4100 was listed.

I think the trick (in my case) was entering the correct vid &pid for the C4200.

it seems both the C4100 and C4200 use the same drivers for XP so it made sence the would use the same drivers for Win98

I still have some issues with the fonts in HP SCANNING (HPQSCNVW.EXE 7.0.0.177) but I am still working on it.

Some of HP's Windows 2000 installations have all of the software for Win98 still inside. They just do not have the definitions for the current products to self identify under Win98. Hence the hack.

PS Thanks again for the offer of the drivers jds.

Well, the OfficeJet 4200 and the PSC C4200 are both described as "All in One", so I thought they may essentially be the same. However, if the former supports fax, whereas the latter doesn't, then they are not the same. I've now found the PIDs for these beasties, the former is 3D11, whereas the latter is 5C11, so again, that indicates they are different.

However, they are both described as "Dot 4" and "Photosmart", and there are numerous differing PIDs that load the same driver files, so it's quite possible that some or all of the W98 driver files for the OJ4200 or similar AiO printers may be compatible with your C4200.

When I was installing drivers for my PSC 1610, I recall that there were at least half a dozen different devices that were detected and drivers installed, one after another. At one point, I was wondering if there would be an end to all this driver installation.

Anyway, I made a mistake earlier in reading the directory listing, that 'HP_AiO.zip' file is about 1MB, not 5.5MB, so I could probably e-mail it to you if you're interested (PM me if you are).

Joe.

jds

Thanks again for your reply

I agree with your observations on the Dot4 and photosmart.

once I entered the PID for the C4200 in the inf or ini file, the usb drivers loaded.

right now, my device manager has

1 Disk drives

generic IDE DISK Type00

HP Photosmart C4280

4 Dot4Usb HPZ12

HP Photosmart C4200 series (DOT4USB)

7 Imaging Device

HP Photosmart C4200

12 Other devices

HPPhotosmart C4200 series

Photosmart C4200 series

17 Universal Serial Bus controllers

18 USBHP008

Photosmart C4200 (USBPRINT)

Since getting the scanner working and reading a single SD memory card, I have not worked on it very much.

email sent to yahoo dot AU