Paging File details

popov

Honestly, if it's just disk activity and we're talking about XP, procmon would be a good place to start looking at what's going on. XPerf might be helpful on XP, but it's severely limited compared to data capture on Vista and higher, so it's not the best place to start if you're still investigating (which given the responses from the OP, we don't know for sure if it's paging file activity or not).

Even more simply, you can add a "column" in Task Manager and see which processes write (or read) the more bytes, it is not "exact", but give pretty much the idea of what is hogging.

Good point, I always forget about those. And if he gets the "real" task manager called ProcExp, he'll have much more to choose from :thumbup

V39gaku.jpg

Just don't let the dancing tabs drive you crazy ( just whose idea was that anyway? ). :lol:

Also I don't see how copying single public file would be warez, what's the difference between getting one file and whole iso?

The difference is what you are allowed to do as specified in the MS EULA. Follow the links carefully and try again.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Also I don't see how copying single public file would be warez, what's the difference between getting one file and whole iso?

The difference is what you are allowed to do as specified in the MS EULA. Follow the links carefully and try again.

Cheers and Regards

bphlpt is correct - if someone has copyrighted their product and/or code, then without their explicit permission you are not allowed to copy it (hence copy right). If they do not also give permission to redistribute their product and/or code to someone, acquiring the file from that person or entity also violates the copyright.

...and DUH!!! Just installing the "suite" doesn't give you the FILE you want! Read further the links(s) I gave. It (they) SPECIFICALLY SAY you need to go to "such-and-such" folder and double click the CORRECT "(whatever).MSI" file to INSTALL the stuff!

As bphlpt said

Follow the links carefully and try again.
That means READ THEM! You "assume" too much, i.e. "I installed and it's not there". Ah, but the SECONDARY MSI INSTALLER IS (where the PROGRAMS are). The "package" you installed is all-inclusive for an Administrator to work with MANY OS' and it would be just DUMB to install unneeded components!

bphlpt is correct - if someone has copyrighted their product and/or code, then without their explicit permission you are not allowed to copy it (hence copy right). If they do not also give permission to redistribute their product and/or code to someone, acquiring the file from that person or entity also violates the copyright.

I was just asking because I need tiny file and in order to get it legally, I am forced to download and burn whole iso, install suite and then after, again install needed components.

@submix8c

Hah. You should also read link I gave, guy there has exactly same problem as I do, and xperf isn't installed with secondary installer, even when installer is there. Maybe because it's WinXP, not Vista. As I mentioned above and in that link, correct way of obtaining xperf is getting whole ISO.