Trying to install Netmeeting 3.01 on win-98

Nomen

I've downloaded NM30.EXE from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26c9da7c-f778-4422-a6f4-efb8abba021e&DisplayLang=en

This is NetMeeting 3.01 Service Pack 2 (SP2), Build 3396 and is for all versions of windows except for 2000 (so sez Microsoft).

I've set the KernelEx properties for nm30.exe to disable kernelex extensions.

In the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion I've set "Version" to Windows 98 and "Version Number" to 4.10.2222 which is their original values (I have had them set in the past to Win-2k to install either flash or Java).

When I run nm30.exe, the installation proceeds just fine up until what I think is the very end, at which point two error messages pop up at the same time:

1) Advanced INF Install

Error Creating Process <"C:\program files\netmeeting\conf" -regserver>. Reason: One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.

2) Error Starting Program

A required .DLL file, NETRAP.DLL, was not found.

So why it's asking for netrap, I don't know, since that's a dll that's not normally found on win-9x, and it NEVER works even when you put it on a win-98 box. Is this program being confused and it thinks it's running on some NT version of windows?

I dismiss the error messages and I'm left with a non-functional installation of netmeeting. Trying to run the "conf.exe" program does nothing.

Any ideas?

PS: I've gotten remote desktop sharing to work - I can log into a win-XP pro computer from a win-98 machine, but the bummer is that the XP machine is essentially non-functional for anyone in the vicinity of the machine (the screen displays a login screen). I would have wanted the screen to show it's normal desktop - ie to show what I see when I'm logged into it from a remote machine. I'm thinking that maybe netmeeting will allow that - assuming I can get it working...?

Any ideas?

I have just installed Netmeeting on my system (Win ME + KernelEx 4.5.2) from the link you provided and it installed without problems. I can run conf.exe too, I haven't gone through the registration process howewer as I don't intend to use it.

This being said, you can disable KernelEx entirely by deleting its registry startup keys (after backing them up as reg files so you can restore them later) at:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MPRServices\KernelEx

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VKRNLEX

and reboot to see if it installs OK without it.

Edited by loblo

Strange.

I was able to install Netmeeting on a different win-98 system without errors (both systems have Soyo 845 motherboard). Both have Kex. I'm going to copy the netmeeting directory over to the problem system and see if a straight file-transplant will work.

Strange.

Even with a duplicate set of files, running netmeeting (conf.exe) on one of my win-98 systems doesn't work. It seems that conf.exe has a dependency for netrap.dll, but that dependency only kicks in if it thinks it's running under NT (probably win-2k). This confusion also happens during installation (running nm30.exe). I end up with an extra file (nmasnt.dll) on the "confused" system that is not present on the working system. Kex is running on both, so that can't be the issue...?

I either have a .DLL or a registry entry that is making some software think it's running under NT instead of 98...

Netmeeting 3.01 runs on Win9x natively, without the need of any SP, KernelEx etc......I was going to add it to SP, but you seem to be the first to have mention using it in a very long time. What probably happened was, Netmeeting detected NT on your system and installed the NT files instead of the Windows 98 version.

What probably happened was, Netmeeting detected NT on your system and installed the NT files instead of the Windows 98 version.

On one particular win-98 system that I have, regardless if I try to run either of these programs:

conf.exe 4.4.3345 April 23, 1999 636 kb

conf.exe 4.4.3399 April 09, 2004 657 kb

And regardless if I set the KernelEx file properties to "disable KernelEx extensions", I get the following two error messages when I try to run either one:

The Netrap.dll file is linked to missing export ntdll.dll: RtlInitAnsiString (ok)

(path)\conf.exe -> A device attached to the system is not functioning (ok)

Something is telling conf.exe that the system is running something other than win-98, presumably some version of NT.

Either of the above versions of conf.exe is able to function on win-2k because (I believe) it has an internal dependency for netrap.dll. Microsoft did not code a different version of conf.exe for win-98 vs win-2k. It's the same binary file.

Is there any way to know what on my system (a particular file, a particular registry entry) is causing this?

How very strange - From MS -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283256

That is where the OP got the "SP2" info and CLAIMS "Build 3396" (dated 2000) but the Download Link given (same as the OP) is "Build 3399" (dated 2004). They are not the same! I have located the one that ORIGINALLY was listed on "Yahoo" (a "downloader" that you use and "Decline" stupid stuff), believe it or not. Is there some discrepancy here? :unsure: I have NO clue why the Original Link given says "a standalone version is available".

No mention of Build 3399 -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260716

Some "info" (a Readme text) -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241159

However, as others have shown, it installs fine. (scratches head...)

edit (followup) -

Version Determination - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/202592

Netmeeting needs installed FIRST from the OS?

Security Bulletin -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms04-011?altTemplate=SecurityBulletinPF

*Note The severity rating of H.323 Vulnerability - CAN-2004-0117 is Important for the standalone version of NetMeeting. To download an updated version of NetMeeting that addresses this vulnerability, visit the following Web site. This version of NetMeeting can be installed on all systems that are running Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, and Windows NT 4.0. The updated version of NetMeeting that addresses this vulnerability is version 3.01 (4.4.3399).
Edited by submix8c