Sleep mode then power off

tal ormanda

(Windows 8) Last night I must have hit Sleep instead of Shutdown and turned the power off and when I turned it on today it resumed sleep and my stuff was open. Did I damage anything by doing this?

Edited by tal ormanda

If it resumed, you must have selected Hibernate instead of Sleep ( and instead of Shutdown). Sleep would not resume from a real loss of power.

An other possibility is that you hit Sleep but turned the power off several minutes later so that the PC hibernated by itself after x minutes of being in Sleep mode.

No damage if you saw "Resuming...".

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, all data will be lost with from what you were working on probably (some programs use autosave). There must be setting in the (U)EFI/BIOS for power-savings, S1/S3/S5 and "resume from..." so Windows 8 "understands" how to use the power-saving of your motherboard.

• 4 weeks later...

My ideas on sleep mode.

My ideas on sleep mode, avoid using it, and grow tentacles. The only people who should worry about sleep mode, are people who want to access their computer from afar. I doubt any office setting has computers using sleep mode, without them damaging from time to time.

I doubt any office setting has computers using sleep mode

I don't know where you work but most computer's do go Sleep Mode at times. Not because it's a good idea but because it's the (MS) default mode and "Power Options" is far from a priority for Sys Admins.

• 3 weeks later...