NEED HELP: INSTALL WINDOWS XP FROM USB

Hello Everyone

I'm newbie and i come from Vietnam so please excuse my poor English.

I use Winsetup From USB to make USB Setup Windows XP and I found in $WIN_NT$.~LS\i386 contain many files and sub folders same the files and sub folders in i386 folder from CD Setup Windows XP. So, i manual copyed and replaced the files and sub folders from CD Setup XP\i386 to USB\$WIN_NT$.~LS and i added 4 files: binifix5.cmd, presetup.cmd, setupORG.exe, tempunat.inf to USB\$WIN_NT$.~LS instead using WinsetupfromUSB to creat usb setup windows xp.

But i found 2 errors when complete the installation windows XP from USB boot created by myself

1. After complete the installation, i cannot boot windows xp ( Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem....)

2. $WIN_NT$.~LS and $WIN_NT$.~BT folder was be cleaned from my usb

10845087.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

22536418.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

P/S: if i creat usb setup windows XP by WinSetupFrom USB, after complete the installation, booting windows xp is default and in my USB, $WIN_NT$.~LS and $WIN_NT$.~BT till exsit

thanks alot

hi everyone

the first, i'm so sorry for my poor english.

i get some errors when creat usb setup windows xp by myself

i using winsetupfrom usb 0.2.3 and i compared I386 folder on USB disk and in original I386 from original source. i can't find what diffence between them, except 4 files: tempunat.inf, presetup.cmd, binifix5.cmd and setuporg.exe. so i manual copyed and replaced i386 folder on $WIN_NT$.~LS by I386 folder from original source and added 4 files tempunat.inf, presetup.cmd, binifix5.cmd and setuporg.exe. but when i completed the installation, the computer cannot boot windows xp, on the screen i see " Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem...." and i check list folders on USB disk, i can't find 2 folders: $WIN_NT$.~LS and $WIN_NT$.~BS.

please give me the answers. i'm so sorry for my poor english, again :)

I am not getting it. :unsure:

What is the problem?

You want to make manually something that WinsetupfromUSB already does?

Then you will need to go through ALL the "historical thread":

Which version of WinsetupfromUSB are you using?

I presume the old 0.2.3, try the 1.0 beta 8 instead:

DO NOT double post. (your post in the main thread was merged to here).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

thanks for your reply, jaclaz :lol:

I'm using winsetupfromusb 0.2.3 and i want to make manualy these steps

-using winsetupfromusb 0.2.3 to get $WIN_NT$.~BT folder and 4 files: presetup.cmd, binifix5.cmd, setuporg.exe and tempunat.inf for later manual using insted using winsetupfromusb 0.2.3

-creat $WIN_NT$.~LS on USB Disk and copy i386 folder from original source to this folder. then copy 4 files presetup.cmd, binifix5.cmd, setuporg.exe and tempunat.inf that i get them by using winsetupfromusb 0.2.3 to $WIN_NT$.~LS \i386

-copy $WIN_NT$.~BT folder that i get it by using winsetupfromusb 0.2.3 to USB Disk

-copy boot.ini, txtsetup.sif, ntdetect, menu.lst, ... to USB disk

-finally setup grub for USB Disk.

i boot from usb and completed the installation windows xp. but i get some error as i post

Edited by congnt92

I'm using winsetupfromusb 0.2.3 and i want to make manualy these steps

Sure :), but WHAT is the reason why you should use this "mixed mode"?

If you want to make manually something, you NEED to study the mentioned "historical" thread and then INSTEAD of winsetupfromusb 0.2.3, you should use as "base" wimb's USB_MultiBoot.cmd:

as it is written in batch, so you can better analyze the steps it makes and either change them or replicate them manually.

jaclaz

I don't want to use mixed mode. i only use winsetupfromusb 0.2.3 to get some files in $WIN_NT$.~BT folder and 4 files: presetup.cmd, tempunat.inf...

after i get these files, i'll backup them on the HDD and i can creat usb setup windows xp manually everywhen i want without needed winsetupfromusb 0.2.3

(make dir $WIN_NT$.~BT $WIN_NT$.~LS and copy files from original source, add 4 files: presetup.cmd by myself)

Well, I did my best to try and avoid you fall for the chocolate covered banana trap :ph34r: :

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/put-down-the-chocolate-covered-banana.html

but you apparently are very convinced of the method you chose, which is good :) as one should always defend his/her beliefs.

Still, if you want to do that, you will have to go through the historical thread and understand what winsetupfromUSB 0.2.3 actually does (which as said would be much easier to understand reading the batches that USB_MultiBoot.cmd is made of).

You might also be interested in this thread:

which is about installing XP from USB without using any third party tool.

And in this one:

Which here:

page__view__findpost__p__842814

I have tested your original idea of omitting $WIN_NT$.~BT and using a single folder named XPLS instead of $WIN_NT$.~LS folder.

The idea is useful and in this way I could succesfully Install XP from USB-stick.

But the advantage in doing it this way is rather limited, and the renaming does NOT solve any problem.

The XPLS folder was Deleted by XP Setup, so XPLS must be treated in the same way as the original $WIN_NT$.~LS folder, e.g. Renaming at T-9 and Undoing Renaming at GuiRunOnce.

reveals one of the "tricks" used to avoid the deletion of the $WIN_NT$.~LS folder.

jaclaz

replaced the files and sub folders from CD Setup XP\i386 to USB\$WIN_NT$.~LS

That's a bad idea, there are more changes.

I don't want to use mixed mode.
Well, you use a mixed approach: a predifined approach and a manually hack.
(make dir $WIN_NT$.~BT $WIN_NT$.~LS and copy files from original source, add 4 files: presetup.cmd by myself)

Why don't you backup all files from winsetupfromusb 0.2.3 and restore all files?

Thanks for your enthusiasm, jaclaz, cdob. I have learned many things from you. But I till exsit some questions

@jaclaz: you can tell me why $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~BT be deleted after install windows xp? that's file "presetup.cmd" or "migrate.inf". I don't edit anything on ntldr, txtsetup, setupldr.bin,... I only restore $WIN_NT$.~BT folder that i backuped the before, I manually creat $WIN_NT$.~LS then copy I386 from original source to USB\$WIN_NT$.~LS and I don't forget add 4 files: tempunat.inf,..... But after install Windows, $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~BT be deleted and I don't know what I did wrong.

@cdob: "That's a bad idea, there are more changes" you can tell me what difference between them. I checked the "date modified", "file size" but i can see no more change except 4 files: tempunat.inf, setuporg.exe, presetup.cmd, binifix5.cmd

"Why don't you backup all files from winsetupfromusb 0.2.3 and restore all files?" because i want to use any source that i have. if i backup all files from winsetupfromusb 0.2.3 and restore all files, when i use another source, I need to use winsetupfromusb 0.2.3 again.

can tell me what difference between them
I don't remember all details after all this years. Read the historic threads.

If I remember correctly: there is a fake setup.ex? and original setup.ex? is renamed to setupORG.ex?

because i want to use any source that i have
\$WIN_NT$.~BT refers to used source. You can't use one for any sources.

You have to adjust How do you create a correct \$WIN_NT$.~BT ?

Use a current winsetupfromusb always.

please help me creat a correct $WIN_NT$.~BT folder manually that refers to any XP source

I will tell you this ONLY ONCE again, READ the given thread :realmad: :

Check the USB_MultiBoot.cmd:

each and every "trick" needed (and used) is there, publicly available, you cannot really pretend that any of us will go over that again after 5 yerars, nor that we can remember exactly each and everything.

STOP nagging us :w00t: , START reading! :yes:

jaclaz

I don't want to use mixed mode. i only use winsetupfromusb 0.2.3 to get some files in $WIN_NT$.~BT folder and 4 files: presetup.cmd, tempunat.inf...

after i get these files, i'll backup them on the HDD and i can creat usb setup windows xp manually everywhen i want without needed winsetupfromusb 0.2.3

The $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS dirs can be made easily with WinNTSetup2 using XP Setup ISO file.

It might be interesting for you to read this thread

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24424

Install of XP or Windows 7 from USB After Booting with 7 PE and

by using WinNTSetup2_x86.exe and Setup ISO file in Virtual drive

The advantage is that you never boot from USB during XP Setup

and that makes everything much more reliable and you have full control of what you are doing.

Also using a single XP Setup ISO file mounted in ImDisk Virtual drive is much more reliable

than having a bunch of XP Setup files on USB.

:)