AMD SATA Controller on Windows 2000?

@tomasz86

Just so you know, Ryan is not a very popular name in Italy ;).

@Ryan

Giving up is NOT an option! :w00t:

Maybe something else is the issue (too many tings together, HFslip+nlite integration besides the actual SATA drivers).

As well it is possible that WinsetupfromUSB, in the latest before latest Beta has an issue with that source.

Maybe if you are willing to try again, we can do something more complex (please read as "simpler") and manually install to a FAT16 or FAT32 partition from DOS, with just the drivers integrated.

BTW it is well possible that WinSetupfromUSB is using firadisk that has some issues with 2K (at least had them last time I checked) so it is possible that 0x0000007b comes from firadisk and not from the AMD driver. :unsure:

jaclaz

I've experienced similar issues several times, usually in case of laptops. It seems that something is incompatible with the Windows 2000 installer. It's not necessarily the SATA driver, since I had exactly the same situation on an older laptop with IDE disk controller.

It doesn't mean that Windows 2000 won't work on the computer. It's just the installer which has problems. One way to overcome is would be to take out the HDD, connect it to a different machine, install the system there and then move it back. Having same disk controller in both computers would make it a lot easier.

@tomasz86

Just so you know, Ryan is not a very popular name in Italy ;).

@Ryan

Giving up is NOT an option! :w00t:

Maybe something else is the issue (too many tings together, HFslip+nlite integration besides the actual SATA drivers).

As well it is possible that WinsetupfromUSB, in the latest before latest Beta has an issue with that source.

Maybe if you are willing to try again, we can do something more complex (please read as "simpler") and manually install to a FAT16 or FAT32 partition from DOS, with just the drivers integrated.

BTW it is well possible that WinSetupfromUSB is using firadisk that has some issues with 2K (at least had them last time I checked) so it is possible that 0x0000007b comes from firadisk and not from the AMD driver. :unsure:

jaclaz

I had this same issue and the FAT16 install worked for me in the end. I could use F5 and select Standard 486 PC to get the install finished. Once that worked I had a whole other set of problems (no multi proc etc) htat had to be slogged through but the thing did eventually install with FAT16 formatted partition on the destination drive.

Do you have an InsydeH20 BIOS? If it's an HP/Compaq then it definitely does. The BIOS restricts Windows 2000 on multicore systems. You need a PC with a different BIOS.

Edited by AnX

ANX.. that would explain why i could never get my ao722 on anything other than "standard pc" without dual core.. if i didnt hit f5 and select it the install would never complete.

I guess that's just the way it is....

ANX.. that would explain why i could never get my ao722 on anything other than "standard pc" without dual core.. if i didnt hit f5 and select it the install would never complete.

I guess that's just the way it is....

To me, it's pure communism. I think it expects the kernel to load up the Speedstep driver, otherwise, you can't use more than one core. Very idiotic.

On the other hand, a more modern UEFI BIOS of mine can help non-Speedstep aware OSes such as Win2k throttle CPU voltage (and I have proof) which helps substitute SpeedStep.

On SpeedStep-aware OSes, that function is disabled and CPU throttling is OS-based.

In my opinion, that is a MUCH better alternative than kicking out non-Speedstep aware OSes.