AMD SATA Controller on Windows 2000?

Hi all I've been reading through this forum and I'm very interested to see how well Windows 2000 can work for me in this day and age. I currently have Windows XP installed on this laptop (CQ56-253SA) which originally came with Windows 7. I slipstreamed the SATA drivers into my XP install so is it possible for me to do it with Windows 2000 as well?

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

What language version of Windows 2000 do you use? If it's Italian then probably the only way to retain both the original system language and be able to to install the system with AHCI (SATA) enabled would be to use blackwingcat's modified AMD drivers.

On the other hand, if it's an English system or you don't care for the language, then you could use my HFSLIP package to prepare a fully updated Windows 2000 source and then slipstream the XP drivers. Most of your system's language will change into English if you use an Italian source.

I can probably help but first let me know which of the two ways you prefer. It would also be nice if you provided some more details about the laptop. Full technical specification would be very useful (especially the hardware ID of the SATA controller). I'd also suggest using a USB stick to install the system instead of CDs since it's much faster and rewritable. If you want to stick to CDs then how about buying just one CD-RW?

Edited by tomasz86

What language version of Windows 2000 do you use? If it's Italian then probably the only way to retain both the original system language and be able to to install the system with AHCI (SATA) enabled would be to use blackwingcat's modified AMD drivers.

On the other hand, if it's an English system or you don't care for the language, then you could use my HFSLIP package to prepare a fully updated Windows 2000 source and then slipstream the XP drivers. Most of your system's language will change into English if you use an Italian source.

I can probably help but first let me know which of the two ways you prefer. It would also be nice if you provided some more details about the laptop. Full technical specification would be very useful (especially the hardware ID of the SATA controller). I'd also suggest using a USB stick to install the system instead of CDs since it's much faster and rewritable. If you want to stick to CDs then how about buying just one CD-RW?

It's the English version (my flag is the Irish flag, not Italian xD :P). Does HFSLIP work just like nLite? I tried to use an 8GB USB Drive already and I kept getting a 'biosinfo.inf could not be loaded' error. Here's the info about the system itself, with the hardware that I would most like to be able to get working under 2k:

Compaq CQ56-253SA

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series ( PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9712&SUBSYS_1604103C&REV_00 )

AMD SATA AHCI Controller ( PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&SUBSYS_1604103C&REV_00 ) - at the moment using these drivers on XP supplied by HP: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g-Windows-8-and-Software/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on-0x0000007B-BSOD/td-p/114120

Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter ( PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_3040103C&REV_01 )

Realtek HD Audio ( HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0270&SUBSYS_103C1604 )

If you need any more info just ask me :) And thanks for helping me out!

Edited by ryanch94

HFSLIP is similar to nLite in some aspects. It's better than nLite when it comes to slipstreaming of Windows updates. nLite offers other customisation which isn't available in HFSLIP.

I'd suggest you go to my Download Archive and then:

1. Go to Windows2000/UnofficialSP5/HFSLIP, download HFSLIP_ia.7z and unpack it to a folder (make sure there are no spaces in the path).
  2. Copy your Windows 2000 source to the SOURCE folder.
  3. Run the script and wait until it's finished.
  4. In the Download Archive go to Windows2000/UnofficialSP5/Drivers and download AMD 12.10 AHCI SB8xx.7z. Use nLite to integrate the driver.
  5. Use WinSetupFromUSB (the newest beta) to prepare a USB stick.
  6. Install Windows.

We'll think about the other drivers after the system has been installed ;) but from my experience I can say there might be a problem with the Atheros WiFi. The rest should work fine.

PS Sorry about confusing the flags :blushing: but here on MSFN it really looks like the Italian one...

Edited by tomasz86

HFSLIP is similar to nLite in some aspects. It's better than nLite when it comes to slipstreaming of Windows updates. nLite offers other customisation which isn't available in HFSLIP.

I'd suggest you go to my Download Archive and then:

1. Go to Windows2000/UnofficialSP5/HFSLIP, download HFSLIP_ia.7z and unpack it to a folder (make sure there are no spaces in the path).
  2. Copy your Windows 2000 source to the SOURCE folder.
  3. Run the script and wait until it's finished.
  4. In the Download Archive go to Windows2000/UnofficialSP5/Drivers and download AMD 12.10 AHCI SB8xx.7z. Use nLite to integrate the driver.
  5. Use WinSetupFromUSB (the newest beta) to prepare a USB stick.
  6. Install Windows.

We'll think about the other drivers after the system has been installed ;) but from my experience I can say there might be a problem with the Atheros WiFi. The rest should work fine.

Okay, I'll try this out tonight! I'll post back when I have results! Thanks for your help! :D

PS Sorry about confusing the flags :blushing: but here on MSFN it really looks like the Italian one...

I know, the difference is barely noticeable xD

Well I got the setup onto the USB but when I boot from it the installation freezes at 'Setup is Starting Windows 2000'. When I Google it this page comes up :http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234772

It seems that the SATA drivers are incorrect, should I try to use the Windows XP drivers that I mentioned in an earlier post?

EDIT: The SATA drivers are definitely the wrong ones, I tried changing to Standard PC HAL with F5 and I got 0x0000007B BSOD

Edited by ryanch94

It's may be different problem but just in case you may try to slipstream the original XP drivers. In order to do so you should start with a clean source again, i.e. don't add them to the source where you've already integrated my drivers as the system won't be able to choose the right one.

Edited by tomasz86

It's may be different problem but just in case you may try to slipstream the original XP drivers. In order to do so you should start with a clean source again, i.e. don't add them to the source where you've already integrated my drivers as the system won't be able to choose the right one.

Ok I will, is there anyway to make the WinSetupFromUSB process faster? It took almost an hour to copy the files before.

Not really :( You can try other tools like YUMI but I'm not sure whether it will work properly with Window 2000 source. Still, one hour seems to be a little too long even for WinSetupFromUSB unless you're using a very low quality USB stick...

Not really :( You can try other tools like YUMI but I'm not sure whether it will work properly with Window 2000 source. Still, one hour seems to be a little too long even for WinSetupFromUSB unless you're using a very low quality USB stick...

It's a cheap stick I got from ebay, so yeah, thought as much, I do remember when using WinToFlash to copy XP onto the stick there was an option to format it as FAT16 LBA and that made it much faster, is there any way of doing that here?