Trouble with nLite and lots of added software

mikep56

Hi All,

Let me start off by saying that I have been using nLite for a long time with great success, so I am quite proficient with it.

I have several older PCs (AMD Athlon64 and Celerons, all have less than 512M of RAM) that I can successfully install Windows on with nLite. I would then use WPI, another great product, to install all of my software without problems.

Well I came up with the idea to install all of those programs as addons in nLite. The installation would go smoothly through the first black screen, then the PC would reboot again with the message that the system was restarting, and continue in this loop endlessly. The Windows screen that shows the install process steps and time remaining on the left side of the screen never shows up.

Could these PCs just not have the horsepower to do the software install until after the Windows install is complete?

Regards,

Mike

Sorry, but we have no clue about

1 - Any Hotfixes etc you slipped

2 - What software you previously used in WPI

3 - How you created the AddOns

Insufficient information...

"Need Input" <-Johnny 5

Hi submix8c,

I used Windows Updates Downloader to gather all hotfixes and updates, and used a mix of 7 zip switchless installers and nLite addon maker installers to do the job. All of the installers were checked out individually on a test PC running XP Pro SP3.

Is it possible that the PC that failed to install is just not up to it, although nLite installed XP SP3 with no other software?

Mike

Please answer the questions (1 & 2). Also what cd are you starting with (what's on the label)?

Attaching the last "session.ini" file would also help. Is the hardware "known good" ? When you say less than 512 meg, is it still more than 64Meg ? In that case, you should stil be able to install. Also depending how much addons you included, you might need a 2gig partition or more as system drive. I guess you have that. AMD64 were produced at the end of 2003 at which point most PCs had 512 of RAM and 40Gig or more of HDD. Celerons are an other story.

Hi Ponch,

As I stated in my previous post, all hotfixes and updates that were downloaded using Windows Update Downloader were installed through nLite. WPI was not used. This is an nLite DVD with the programs added using a mix of 7 zip switchless installers and nLite addon maker installers.

This PC is used as my "virtual PC", meaning it is not my primary machine, it is a spare that I cobbled together to try out new stuff. There is a total of 320M RAM (a 256M and a 64M stick of DDR 133). The HDD is 40GB. This system loads Windows XP from nLite with no software just fine.

I am starting with a Windows XP Pro SP1A CD and slipstreaming SP3 into it with nLite.

The last session.ini file is attached.

I hope I am clearer this time!

Regards,

Mike

LAST SESSION.INI

WMP11 and IE8 are your main issues!

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\IE8-WindowsXP-KB2797052-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\IE8-WindowsXP-KB2799329-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\IE8-WindowsXP-KB2809289-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\windowsmedia11-kb928788-x86-intl.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\WindowsMedia11-KB929399-v2-x86-INTL.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\windowsmedia11-kb929773-x86-intl.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\windowsmedia11-kb932390-x86-intl.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\windowsmedia11-kb933547-x86-intl.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\windowsmedia11-kb935551-x86-intl.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\windowsmedia11-kb935552-x86-intl.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\WindowsMedia11-KB936782-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\windowsmedia11-kb939209-x86-intl.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\WindowsMedia11-KB939683-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\WindowsMedia11-KB941569-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\windowsmedia11-kb944882-x86-intl.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\WindowsMedia11-KB952069-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\windowsmedia11-kb954067-x86-intl.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\WindowsMedia11-KB954154-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\WindowsMedia11-KB954155-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\windowsmedia11-kb973442-x86-intl.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\WindowsMedia11-KB973540-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\WindowsMedia11-KB975558-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\WindowsMedia11-KB978695-x86-ENU.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\nLite associated stuff\Updates and Hotfixes\WindowsMedia11-KB2378111-x86-ENU.exe

These do not integrate normally with nlite.

Hi Kelsenellenelvian,

Okay, I will retry nLite again without IE8 and WMP11.

Then I will report back to this forum.

Regards,

Mike

EDIT: It may be a few days because Little League is starting up, but I will get to it.

Edited by mikep56

You might have a look-see here too -

Basically, the same process even if you used WUD, which is, BTW, WAAAAAY outdated (STOP using it for XP - NO LONGER MAINTAINED!). The link (instructions) I gave is fail-safe. :yes:

As far as the "other" software "Add-Ons" (that you don't specify), we STILL are CLUELESS as to whether they conflict. :unsure: Start from "basic (per the link) and THEN try the add-ons. Fix/Add-On Dates (order of) matter. ;) (IOW as an example, that's the reason SP3 comes BEFORE Post-SP3 Fixes AND you don't want to "force" integrate PRE-SP3 Fixes.)

Failure Summary -

- You used to use WPI along with a combo of "software" (unknown) and "fixes" (from WUD)

- You now want to Integrate using Add-Ons (unknown if other-than MS) and "fixes" (still WUD and/or "created" Add-Ons?)

- You use outdated MS Fixes (from WUD)

- You more than likely Integrate with a "failing" method (see proper method in link)

- You are working from the Desktop (bad juju - do it from a folder elsewhere)