New win8 install won't update

MarkJohnson

I just installed Windows 8 Pro x64 on my new (refurbished) SSD on my HP a6242n desktop PC (AM2, Athlon 64 x2 4800+, 2.5GHz) and it won't download windows updates. It says 0% and stuck for 30ish minutes. I thought maybe some conflict so I select restart and it starts install 35ish updates of which most failed (4 important updates, and mt GT 340 failed, but is installed with nvidia control panel and driver 311.06).

I return to windows update 3 more time and no downloads at all, but I get Update and Restart when shutting down and it acts like it's updating, but then says removing failed updates or some such (forgot to write it down :P).

Not sure what else to do. I preinstalled win 8 pro with the trial version on the old hard drive without issues and updates where all successful. I'm afraid to activate my key as if I need to reinstall I don't want to have to mess with calling MS.

Any ideas?

-=Mark=-

ps, This is a second post. My first one was with Internet Explorer and when I hit post message my browser was hijacked and sent me to marketing.dellDOTcom. Not sure what happened so I instaled Firefox and added-on adblock plus and ghostery. Hopefully it gets through this time.

you should check the PC for malware when IE reconnects to you somewhere else.

To see what is wrong with the updates, we need the folder C:\Logs\CBS, the files C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log, C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log and "C:\Windows\winsxs\poqexec.log". Copy them to your desktop, zip the files and upload the zip (skydrive, dropbox) and post a link here.

you should check the PC for malware when IE reconnects to you somewhere else.

The strange thing is I only visited this site, which I assumed would be safe. I guess no place is safe anymore:P I hit the post button after typing in the message and bam, straight to dell marketing.

To see what is wrong with the updates, we need the folder C:\Logs\CBS, the files C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log, C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log and "C:\Windows\winsxs\poqexec.log". Copy them to your desktop, zip the files and upload the zip (skydrive, dropbox) and post a link here.

I got impatient and tried reinstalling win8 with the trial key. Updates are fine.

Now, hopefully activation goes as smoothly.

Thanks for your help

-=Mark=-