Windows 2000 registration CD key

@#$%^&*(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"UnattendMode" has MORE than just "ProvideDefault"!!!!! You have tried NONE of the others! Use nLite, select "Unattended" and select "Help" for that value and you will see EXACTLY how it will react for EACH VALUE!

READ, man, READ!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Jeez, dude, "REF.CHM" file!!!!)

Maybe that is the reason, why every nLites after certail very old version 4 years ago, never worked again with Win XP SP 1.0a install...?

That is why I will not even try nLite, because it is tested and never work. All I wanted is to insert the CD key into the Win install CD. All. Nothing more, nothing less. It is great to know, that there are parameters how to make the Unattended mode probably behave like I want it, eg. this way:

[Data]
MsDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
OemSkipEula = Yes
FileSystem = *
WaitForReboot = No
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

But it is all useless, when the main thing, the CD key (product key) option in Winnt.sif file does NOT provide the CD key, nor that I can leave the question empty, nor that it pre-fill it with the number, nothing like that. All the times it just behave as nothing had ever changed (the entering of the CD key, other things DO change)... So your suggestion to use known not working nLite is like adding another problem, when I'm far off from understanding what to put in the Winnt.sif file to make the CD key go away. That it is. Nothing more, nothing less is the question right now.

What the fact, that there are more options for the unattended mode have to do with the not working Winnt.sif CD key entering?

BTW, no, I cannot read *.chm file, these files aren't readable (eg. working) for me, it probably have to do something with disabling the help services or such, but such nonstandard files are impossible to read. Regardless, when the option does not work, then it is kinda useless to know, that there are more options. I did not want more stuff, I do want this one to work, that it is.

Clearly, Winnt.sif file way failed - or I do something wrong.

BTW, no, I cannot read *.chm file, these files aren't readable (eg. working) for me, it probably have to do something with disabling the help services or such, but such nonstandard files are impossible to read. Regardless, when the option does not work, then it is kinda useless to know, that there are more options. I did not want more stuff, I do want this one to work, that it is.

Clearly, Winnt.sif file way failed - or I do something wrong.

First thing .chm are "standard" files alright, if your hlp/chm/help sub-system, for any reason, does not work, use xchm (or a similar .chm reader), like all the rest of the world has done for YEARS :whistle: .

http://xchm.sourceforge.net/

Second thing, yes, evidently you are doing something wrong :ph34r: , but let's wait until you have fully read the REF.CHM :).

jaclaz

[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=ProvideDefault
OemPreinstall=Yes
OemSkipEula=No
Repartition=No

[GuiUnattended]
OEMSkipRegional=0

[UserData]
ProductID="ABCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PQRST-UVWXY"

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

Do NOT tell me this doesn't work! I have ALREADY TESTED IT! Please don't come back with any BS that says "don't work" because it will be just that - Bee-Ess! The ONLY way it will NOT work is if the KEY you provided is NOT VALID (also tested) in which case the Key Screen will be BLANK (see next statements)!

The Key -WILL- display and you -MUST- click "Next". You -WILL- have (NEARLY) every single screen displayed. You will -NOT- have any option to select "Repair" on the first screen with an Unattended WINNT.SIF in the I386 directory (the location where it MUST be). See the Second Screen that will NOT appear unless you have a CD -WITHOUT- a WINNT.SIF. In addition, the EULA will be accepted during MiniSetup (the GUI) and -NOT- during Text Mode (Fourth Screen). The THIRD screen did -NOT- appear for me. Screenshots of a Non-Unattended Install -

http://www.techish.net/2011/09/23/windows-2000-installation-screenshots/

SO... if you need to do a "Repair" (which is REALLY just the Command Console), having the WINNT.SIF file in it will NOT ALLOW IT. See -THIS-

A nice reference (-X- posted also) -

It APPEARS that the parameter "OemPreinstall=Yes" is REQUIRED for older os (like Windows 2000) because testing with it set to "No" did -NOT- work.

Addendum - I was mistaken about REF.CHM - the actual Help Document with -ALL PARAMETERS- is "UNATTEND.DOC" within "DEPLOY.CAB".

I would say "HTH" but I know for a FACT that it's correct, so I KNOW it "helps"! (razz-berries to you!)

Have a nice day...

Edited by submix8c

Do NOT tell me this doesn't work! I have ALREADY TESTED IT! Please don't come back with any BS that says "don't work" because it will be just that - Bee-Ess! The ONLY way it will NOT work is if the KEY you provided is NOT VALID (also tested) in which case the Key Screen will be BLANK (see next statements)!

I would say "HTH" but I know for a FACT that it's correct, so I KNOW it "helps"! (razz-berries to you!)

Have a nice day...

Have you tried that on a CZECH Windows 2000 source? :w00t::angel

:lol:

jaclaz

Sucess! The problem was, that as recommended, I tried enter the CD key as "ProductKey" (see second post or the links where this is wrongly posted), while as submix8c posted, the correct value is "ProductID"....!!!

So, instead of telling me what to read and where, people should better read what I did posted, see my examples that does NOT work and find out that ProductKey is wrong and ProductID is the right option!

Interesting example of not-reading, lol.

Anyway, it is all not at good, as I hoped. Win install go smoothly, yet:

1) "WaitForReboot=No" does not work, will "WaitForReboot = "No"" or "WaitForReboot = 0" work?

2) "JoinWorkgroup=xxx" does not work, will "JoinWorkgroup = "xxx"" work?

jaclaz - Yep, wrong is the ProductKey, right is the ProductID - but you hardly can blame me for using the guide, huh? Now where are your reading skills to not point that flaw out sooner? :)

As far, as *.chm files goes, where is the Windows download there? http://xchm.sourceforge.net/download.html I failed to see it, but my failure can be corrected...

submix8c - easy on the cofee, mate. Problem found and fixed, now I just nitpicking the rest :)

The Key -WILL- display and you -MUST- click "Next".

Wrong, I never seen the CD key screen once again :)

the EULA will be accepted during MiniSetup (the GUI) and -NOT- during Text Mode (Fourth Screen)

Wrong again. Doing it my way, I never seen the EULA in DOS or in Win mode again. This is great :-D

It APPEARS that the parameter "OemPreinstall=Yes" is REQUIRED for older os (like Windows 2000)

Wrong also. I did not have it in my Winnt.sif file and the install went happily w/o that... So maybe for SP4 it is not need anymore? Who knows/care as long, as it works.

Addendum - I was mistaken about REF.CHM

Not to worry, I cannot read *.chm files, so... also the problem was not in my reading, just in the ProductKey/ProductID mistake (see posts and links above)...

What I wonder is, that some options you have in double quotes, and some dont:

AutoPartition=0

OemSkipEula=No

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

What is correct way?

Mine example:

[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
OemSkipEula=Yes
FileSystem=*
WaitForReboot=No
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[UserData]
ProductID="xxx"

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=xxx

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
msmsgs = Off
msnexplr = Off
freecell = Off
AutoUpdate = Off
Certsrv = Off
Certsrv_client = Off
Certsrv_server = Off
Chat = Off
Deskpaper = Off
Dialer = Off
Dtcnetwork = Off
Fax = Off
Fp_extensions = Off
Fp_vdir_deploy = Off
Hearts = Off
Hypertrm = Off
IEAccess = Off
Licenseserver = Off
Media_clips = Off
Media_utopia = Off
Pinball = Off
Pop3Admin = Off
Pop3Service = Off
Pop3Srv = Off
Rootautoupdate = Off
Spider = Off
Templates = Off
TerminalServer = Off
TSWebClient = Off
Zonegames = Off

- working:

OemSkipEula, ProductID, InstallDefaultComponents, msnexplr not installed and such...

-not working:

WaitForReboot, JoinWorkgroup

PS. found not working network, so the "InstallDefaultComponents=Yes" is either not working or wrong...

Edited by caps_buster

Sucess! The problem was, that as recommended, I tried enter the CD key as "ProductKey" (see second post or the links where this is wrongly posted), while as submix8c posted, the correct value is "ProductID"....!!!

So, instead of telling me what to read and where, people should better read what I did posted, see my examples that does NOT work and find out that ProductKey is wrong and ProductID is the right option!

Here:

chill_pill.gif

you can find a chill pill (that you definitely need to take, NOW!).

If you check your own signature, you may see how it spells :whistle: :

Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

Everyone knows how if you send ProductId if there is a transmission error it comes out as ProductKey.

Seriously , a mistake can happen to everyone :unsure: , and this does not in any way authorize you to feel offended, or to accuse others of not being attentive enough.

The issue is clearly originated here:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/19/

and in the mentioned REF.CHM.

Problem being that BOTH are related to Windows XP (and possibly to XP SP1(a) or later).

if you simply did your homework in your attempts to solve your problem, you could have possibly found quickly this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/250985/en-us

this one:

http://people.consolidated.net/veeger/XP/xpinstall.html

Notice in [userData] ProductID renamed ProductKey with SP1 CD otherwise use ProductID

and (not so far in the internet ;) ):

jaclaz

Winnt.sif files really do differ from XP SP1.0a to Windows 2000 SP4... for example on XP SP1.0a the "WaitForReboot=0" is working, while for W2k I have to yet find the proper way/value... :(

Perhaps "WaitForReboot=No" will be the proper one?

But the network problem is far bigger and more urgent. I need to put back the network options to the install... ****.

However my Win XP SP1.0a install, as I mentioned earlier, did not work, because the patching of the setupapi.dll does not work (eg. there is no guide for Win XP SP 1.0a and what I tried, failed - when placing the original setupapi.dll file to the install, then after the reboot stop and complaining about modified files and want "mode things" in them.... :) ) ... so I can just try a very little with the XP install, sadly.

First post

I want nothing more
NOW you "claim" I was WRONG because YOU changed something (i.e. ADDED more "requirements"/"parameters")! :w00t:

The link I provided to the Screenshots is "dead" but I have all of them captured (didn't want to do ANOTHER install and snap them myself).

I REPEAT, read the UNATTEND.DOC and you will SEE EVERY PARAMETER AND VALUE!!!! Might I point out the VALUE you so blithely ignored (and removed), Following portions from the Document (actual File CANNOT be attached, uploaded, etc. due to the Copyright statement on cover page) -

UnattendMode defines the unattended Setup mode to be used during GUI-mode Setup. The default value is DefaultHide when the key is not specified. When this key is specified, text-mode Setup is fully automated with or without the necessary answers.
ProvideDefault specifies that answers in the answer file are defaults. In this case, Setup displays these default answers to the user, who may change them if desired. This approach is useful in preinstallation scenarios where the OEM or administrator wants to give the person setting up the computer the option to change the predefined default answers (especially network options).
DefaultHide specifies that answers in the answer file are defaults. Unlike the ProvideDefault value, Setup does not display the user interface to end users if all the answers relating to a particular wizard page are specified in the answer file. If only subsets of the answers on a page are specified, the page is displayed with the provided answers. The user can modify any of the answers on the displayed page. This approach is useful in deployment scenarios where an administrator may only want end users to provide the administrator password on the computer.
Wrong, I never seen the CD key screen once again
RIGHT! Because you did NOT use what I gave - (see above)
Wrong again. Doing it my way, I never seen the EULA in DOS or in Win mode again.
Because you ADDED "OemSkipEula=Yes". With MY file, it WILL do EXACTLY what I said (YOU only wanted ProductID "nothing more"). ;)

re - "OemPreinstall=Yes"

Wrong also. I did not have it in my Winnt.sif file and the install went happily w/o that
Nope!I tried my BASIC one that I gave and ran it and it IGNORED the "ProductID=". YOU are using the "DefaultHide" (YOU only wanted ProductID "nothing more") ;)

re - REF.CHM

Not to worry, I cannot read *.chm files
1 - jaclaz gave you an alternative.

2 - I CLEARLY stated that the FULL INFO is in the UNATTEND.DOC inside the DEPLOY.CAB (which you APPARENTLY don't have).

re - Quotes

MsDosInitiated

Informs the Windows 2000 Setup Loader that an unattended installation is being performed directly from the CD. The value must always be set to 0. If you do not set the value to 0, Setup fails at the beginning of GUI-mode Setup. For example:

MsDosInitiated = "0"

UnattendedInstall

Informs the Windows 2000 Setup Loader that an unattended installation is being performed directly from the CD. The value must always be set to Yes. For example:

UnattendedInstall = Yes

No clue - the Sample I gave that works EXACTLY LIKE I SAID IT WOULD was generated (and modified by me) via SETUPMGR.EXE inside the DEPLOY.CAB (which you APPARENTLY don't have).

Now for your NETWORKING "problem".

ProvideDefaul...(especially network options).
You INSISTED on leaving out the "UnattendMode". REREAD the first quotes from the MS DOC I gave.

As for "WaitForReboot=No" - it DOES NOT EXIST for Windows2000 and you would KNOW that if you read the UNATTEND.DOC inside the DEPLOY.CAB (which you APPARENTLY don't have).

Finally, from the SAME DOCUMENT -

A fully unattended Setup would require, at a minimum, the following keys and parameters:

[unattended]

UnattendMode = FullUnattended

TargetPath = WINNT

[userData]

ComputerName = "COMPUTER_NAME"

FullName = "Your User Name"

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword = *

TimeZone = "004"

[Networking]

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup = Workgroup

YOU look up "FullUnattended" in YOUR copy of the UNATTEND.DOC inside the DEPLOY.CAB (which you APPARENTLY don't have).

You APPARENTLY want certain values Automatically filled and other values Filled At Install Time. You are STILL doing it wrong!

DEPLOY.CAB is currently M.I.A on MS Website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820196

Clicking the Link takes you to TechNet.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh534433.aspx

Lucky you, it's still on the MS Server - go here and click the Download Link -

http://www.petri.co.il/download_w2k_sp4_deploy_tools.htm

Now DOWNLOAD it and READ the stuff and don't bother with "don't work" without some kind of proof, ESPECIALLY, don't claim "wrong" when it's CLEARLY been proven to be RIGHT! Please note I have REPEATED a number of phrases to get the point across, e.g. (YOU only wanted ProductID "nothing more"). I wasted HOURS loading/testing to get EXACTLY what you asked for!

'Nuff Said! :angry:

edit - YOU GOT YOUR SETUPAPI ANSWER in that OTHER thread! Quit wasting our time. :realmad:

Edited by submix8c

Well, it is true, that when I get into it, I started changing the install CD some more... that is true. The fail with the ProductKey vs. ProductID was apparent.

I did not complained about the screeenshots, I just described what happend when the install is going on. In fact, the network is trashed and not working right now, witch is far more serious problem that the entering of the product key, lol...

I REPEAT, read the UNATTEND.DOC

Well, I did not wanted to bring it on, but look how the doc file look there:

unattend_atlantis_word.jpg

So, as much as I want, I can't read that file at all.

Oh, old good WordPad does work, asn can save the file as rtf, great :) Now I can look at some of the options there, hooray :) I quickly realize, that the network does not work, because I use wrong option:

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=xxx

...with is wrong, the right is:

[identification]

JoinDomain = "xxx"

Hope this will work. Also added the UnattendMode=GuiAttended into the [unattended] and we see if I get the network working again :)

The "YOU only wanted ProductID "nothing more"" excuse if kinda lame :-) Meanwhile I realize I could tweak the install to my liking :-D

Not to worry, I cannot read *.chm files

Wrong on my part, it actually works (*surprised*)

Not for windows, so, no alternative at all.

Make reboot faster...

Fine, I settle for "not possible on W2k", okay.

You APPARENTLY want certain values Automatically filled and other values Filled At Install Time. You are STILL doing it wrong!

Any what is wrong with that? In theory, the ReadOnly will make that work:

specifies that answers in the answer file are read-only if the wizard pages containing these answers are displayed to the end user. Just like the DefaultHide parameter, no user interface appears if all answers on a page are supplied in the answer file. Unlike the DefaultHide parameter, however, the user can only specify new answers on a displayed page.

JoinDomain is wrong unless you are actually JOINING TO A DOMAIN SERVER! Are you? Did you MISS that in the DOC??? What's your intent? to cause it to FORCE it to allow adding New Users?

As far as the DOC, even that Atlantis software probably has a way to change the View. It does the SAME THING in Word until you change it. ;)

Why the heck don't you start with what I gave and add to it accordingly? WHY are you going an entirely different route? WHY are you bothering us if you refuse to "listen"? I TOLD you to read the DOC in the first place, didn't I? And as far as REF.CHM, YOU HAVE THAT TOO inside of you XP-SP1a, DON'T YOU????

Dude, you're on your own from here on out. :yes:

Not for windows, so, no alternative at all.

Well you will be the first one that cannot use xchm on Windows:

http://xchm.sourceforge.net/

Originally written for UNIX systems (Linux, *BSD, Solaris), xCHM has been since ported to Mac OS X and Windows.

Now, if you are not capable of getting (from the above) to here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchm/

and from the above to here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchm/files/?source=navbar

and from the above click on either of:

Download xchm-1.19win32.zip (906.5 kB)

or get here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchm/files/xCHM%20for%20Win32/

and click on:

xchm-1.19

you might want to take a course on "navigating the internet".

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

Not need the course on how to navigate thru the internet, just need a course on how to make the WinXP SP1.0a accept modified TXTSETUP.SIF and LAYOUT.INF files. It does refuse to accept these modified by me.

Not need the course on how to navigate thru the internet, just need a course on how to make the WinXP SP1.0a accept modified TXTSETUP.SIF and LAYOUT.INF files. It does refuse to accept these modified by me.

Maybe it is possible that you modified them "wrongly". :unsure:

jaclaz

• 2 months later...

jaclaz - you are quite possible right. I'm a novice in the windows modification and a stubborn one, so I have to learn all by myself. Usually a trial&error (or terror?) :) However I would not refuse to accept some help out there, lol.

For example I was fairly sucesfull in the Windows 2000 SP4 install modification - now it support the LBA drives AND I did not need to enter the CD key. That is IMHO great (at least for me) and there is only a very slight annoyance - and that it that I failed to disable the FireWire 1394 driver to be loaded in the whole beginning of the installation of W2k. This is really a minor thing, yet the last thing I wanted to accomplish.

If you can check out these Win2k SP4 LAYOUT.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF files:

layout+txtsetup.zip

..and please tell me, what can I disable to kill the unnecessary loading of the FireWire 1394 driver on the install initialization to make it faster, that would be great. Because I can attempt it myself, but that probably not end up well, like the WinXP SP 1.0a case.

I'm going to meddle with the XP later, lol. I never give up on the mods, till they are done.

PS. It probably is quite easy (not to load the FireWire 1394 crap) - in TXTSETUP.SIF, there is the "[busExtenders.Load]" and there is the "sbp2port = sbp2port.sys" and this is later defined as "sbp2port = "... IEEE 1394 SBP2 Storage Port", files.sbp2port,sbp2port" ... so just removing this line cause this bus extender are not being loaded on the Win2k SP4 install startup.

Gotta test this idea in reality :)

PS2. And indeed it work! So using quite simple WINNT.SIF file (without any Unattended.txt file!) it give me all I wanted: not need to enter the CD key, skip EULA and default network components installed as well, as not waiting for many keys during install - hooray!

[Data]AutoPartition=0MsDosInitiated="0"UnattendedInstall="Yes"[Unattended]OemSkipEula=YesFileSystem=*DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore[UserData]ProductID="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"[Networking]InstallDefaultComponents=Yes[Components]msmsgs = Offmsnexplr = Offfreecell = OffAutoUpdate = OffCertsrv = OffCertsrv_client = OffCertsrv_server = OffChat = OffDeskpaper = OffDialer = OffDtcnetwork = OffFax = OffFp_extensions = OffFp_vdir_deploy = OffHearts = OffHypertrm = OffIEAccess = OffLicenseserver = OffMedia_clips = OffMedia_utopia = OffPinball = OffPop3Admin = OffPop3Service = OffPop3Srv = OffRootautoupdate = OffSpider = OffTemplates = OffTerminalServer = OffTSWebClient = OffZonegames = Off

...now is time to look on the WinXP SP 1.0a :D

Edited by caps_buster