editing setupapi.dll file Win2k SP4 czech

In order to "play" with the Win2k SP4 install files is necessary to disable the checking in setupapo.dll file, right? Replacing the SETUPREG.HIV worked w/o this change to get the LBA support, but that is probably different stuff...?

Anyway, according to this guide by Fred Vorck: http://www.vorck.com/windows/edit-setupapi.html

I should look for "55 8B EC FF 75" and replace it with "33 C0 C2 30 00" ... That is so simple that nothing can go wrong, right? Well... wrong.

It is simple when come to unpacking:

expand -r setupapi.dl_

modifype setupapi.dll -c

makecab setupapi.dll setupapi.dl_

...and fixing and packing the file again. However the real challenge is in the search for "55 8B EC FF 75" itself. The file have FOUR INSTANCES or the "55 8B EC FF 75" sequence. First at address 1CCF, second at address 3887, third at address 2620E and fourth at address 33653.

Now since the screenshot shown that the previous byte sequence, leading the the 55 8B... is "C9 C2 14 00", then I looked up and in the second case (and only in the second case) it match exactly. Also it is at the address 3887, witch is also shown by arrow on the screenshot. So I did the change, used modifype, makecab, burned the image with slight changes to the syssetup.inf file to check that this is working... and very soon the install end claiming that "can't load setsupdd.dll file..." so it does NOT work for Win2k SP4 cz ...

Suggestions what to try to finally overcome this problem? I never even managed HFSLIP to work, perhaps because of this...

Capsbuster, with all due respect :), it's the second time today that you post about something (that has worked for hundred or thousands or more people) being "wrong" (because *somehow* it doesn't work for you)

You might want to be more cautious and check and re-check everything twice before saying other people or their contributions are "wrong".

If you look attentively at this image:

http://www.vorck.com/windows/edit-setupapi.html

setupapi-2000.png

you may notice that it has superimposed TWO RED ARROWS, one highlighting the hex string and the second (left bottom) highlighting the address (3887).

No actual challenge:

...and fixing and packing the file again. However the real challenge is in the search for "55 8B EC FF 75" itself. The file have FOUR INSTANCES or the "55 8B EC FF 75" sequence. First at address 1CCF, second at address 3887, third at address 2620E and fourth at address 33653.

Of course any info you will find of FDV's site is tested on English source files, BUT if you found the same bytes at the same location the SETUPAPI.DL_/SETUPAPI.DLL is most probably exactly the same file in the English and Czech versions of 2K SP4 (and, as a mere anecdotal reference, the hexediting did work at the time on my Italian version)

jaclaz

Dear jaclaz, if this works, then I won't be struggling with this for years, would I? Of course I did noticed the address 3887 and did the change there and only there. I did run the modifyPE -c on the file then. And I makecab it and put into install. And the install won't work, even this and change in the syssetup.inf are the only ONE changes I ever made.

So, unless you want to tell me, that with hacked setupapi.dll I cannot remove unnecassary empry lines from syssetup.inf (my main aim is to tweak the LAYOUT.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF files to strip the unnecessary bloatware loaded at the startup of the install), then the guide just does not work at all.

PS. send the link the the syssetup files by PM... so you can see for yourself if it does or does not go.

Edited by caps_buster

I guess that there has been a misunderstanding.

I have no idea if the patch to setupapi.dll that FDV posted about works on a czech system.

As said FDV has tested the patch on the English version and I remember having used it on the Italian Win2K SP4 years ago.

You cannot take for granted that the patch will work on *any* setupapi.dll, I was telling you four things:

1. the patch was intended for En systems ONLY
  2. the patch has worked for lots of people
  3. FDV was not in any way "wrong" in connection with this
  4. the patching process is not a "challenge", and the instructions are seemingly very clear to follow

but since the patch (though at different location within the files) is the same for several versions of the setupapi.dll, I am lead to believe that it should work also on "localized" versions, though you never know with anything "MS".

It is perfectly possible that the patch does not work on Czech source, I have no way to know, if it doesn't work, you may *try* to patch an English setupapi.dll and replace the Czech version. :unsure:

AFAICR there is no need of the patched .dll to edit TXTSETUP.SIF.

jaclaz

Well, that will be just the start of things, so I better patch :-) However the problem is found. My old machine, when stressed, it "tend" to create bogus HDD writes. Case in point - that was the problem. I re-did everything when the machine is only lightly used and - voila! The Windows install worked like a charm for the first time!

Now I'm in the middle of optimizing the TXTSETUP.SIF file... First optimalizations are passed and install is going on... so now MORE!

My apologies to Fred, my old crap PC is up to the blame :-(

Yet I stand by my opinion that working on semistable machine IS challenging :))) However that have nothing to do with Fred Vorck amazing work!

PS. you did not answer the question, is polishing the enters, removing empty lines and such cleaning in the syssetup.inf file could cause any problems. I found out now that it not cause any problems :)

SETUPAPI.DLL is language independent. The file is English, no matter what language version of Windows 2000 you use (the only exception may be Windows 2000 for NEC98 because it's a different architecture but I don't know).

SETUPAPI.DLL is language independent. The file is English, no matter what language version of Windows 2000 you use (the only exception may be Windows 2000 for NEC98 because it's a different architecture but I don't know).

Yes/No.

I just checked the file in the Czech 2K SP4 and it is NOT the same file (different size and checksum) though the patch, as guessed initially is confirmed to work (the offset remains the same 0x3887).

It is definitely a "different" build, though thee differences are trifling at first sight.

jaclaz

I must admit I did not even like that makecab produce a bit bigger files that are in the original Win install, when talking about differences. However I did not find any switch that change the compression rate, so, I'm stuck with the default bigger files. The main thing is, that it works now. I can remove the "_x" to check and tweak the files for install, witch is tad faster then...