Many (log) errors on Install

Dogway

You'll need the SignTool utility to install the CAT file. SignTool can be obtained from Windows Driver Kit v7.1.0 (located within "GRMWDK_EN_7600_1.ISO", in "WDK\buildtools_<Platform>_cab001.cab"). Or, if you don't feel like downloading 620MB for a 226KB file, SignTool can also be obtained from an addon I created.

To install the CAT file:

1. Extract the KB942288 package using the /x switch.
  2. Open a CMD window and navigate to the UPDATE folder within the extracted package.
  3. Copy SignTool.exe to the UPDATE folder.
  4. In the CMD window type: "signtool catdb /v kb942288-v3.cat".
  5. Verify success using QFECheck.

Edited by 5eraph

Thanks a ton, for real. That's a world apart from my reach, I even didn't know the /x switch lol

ENU and ESN builds happened to be the same, did the thing and worked. Now I'm ready to wrap my unattended and burn, let it rest and maybe give it a look back again in 2014, when XP support is over.

Thank you.

Dogway,

When looking at some of the logs and error messages you are receiving I have to wonder what you are trying to accomplish by using 3rd party tools for your deployment that you wouldn’t be able to from the available Microsoft tools.

You might want to check out the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT). First, it’s free and it can handle all your deployments including Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2008 and Windows 2008R2. Using MDT, you can easily add both applications and drivers, manage Windows updates, create task sequences, join a domain, add a KMS or MAK product key, create an administrator account, specify time zone, etc. You can also import all user data into the new environment using the User State Migration Tool (also free). To become familiar with the process of using MDT, you might want to check out these videos from the Springboard Series page on TechNet:

Deployment Day Session 1: Introduction to MDT 2012

Deployment Day Session 2: MDT 2012 Advanced

Since you are attempting to deploy Windows XP, you will need the Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) which will include tools such as the Windows System Image Manager (Windows SIM) that can help you.

You can even tie MDT into Windows Deployment Services if you wish to help streamline the deployment process.

Finally, anytime someone is attempting to do a capture process and deployment I always recommend the following videos:

Alphabet Soup Deployment: Understanding MDT, WDS, MAP, ACT, SCCM, and USMT

Deploy Windows 7 The Easy Way: Using WDS, MDT and AIK – Step-By-Step

It is also important to note that Windows XP End of Support is coming up on as of April 8th, 2014 and it would probably be a good idea to begin planning your migration from Windows XP to Windows 7 or Windows 8. 800 Days until Windows XP End of Support is a great, albeit older, blog post written by Stephen Rose that I strongly recommend reading. As is also stated in the blog post, there are several resources available to assist with this process on either the Windows 7 Springboard Series page or the Windows 8 Springboard Series page.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress!

Jessica

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Dogway,

When looking at some of the logs and error messages you are receiving I have to wonder what you are trying to accomplish by using 3rd party tools for your deployment that you wouldn’t be able to from the available Microsoft tools.

Winoutreach5,

When looking at your replies I have to wonder if you are actually providing any specific solution to specific problems or only some general pushing towards using only MS tools and upgrading to latest MS Operating System versions, and the generic notion that MDT based deployments can fix *everything*.

The case at hand is - seemingly - an issue originated by the "wrong" behaviour of some MS original updates, connected with "localized versions".

Does MDT deployment "automagically" fix such problematic "localized version" updates? :unsure:

jaclaz

I think I got a hint of the causes of the first issue with .NET Framework.

I got to know of it by chance, it happens to be that after .NET installation hotfixes and assemblies keep compiling in background, first GDR, then LDR hotfixes. it's when LDR (I guess) hotfixes when I get those warnings and errors on Event Viewer.

I knew that in order to prevent background procesing I should execute ngen.exe and do all the hotfixes GDR and LDR at one shot just after .NET install, so there's not interruption or possible conflicts with other components.

I run it like this:

start /wait ngen.exe ExecuteQueuedItems /nologo /silent
start /wait ngen.exe Update /nologo /silent

is it correct (order, flags)?

what I get afterwards are not very promising logs, since it is waaaaaaay over my head, I post them here in case you can help to know what's happening. Mind you that this is a fresh WindowsXP install, so there shouldn't be any errors as far as I'm concerned.

ngen.exe logs

• 2 weeks later...

can someone help me?

are the ngen calls correct?, are the ngen logs normal?

my WINDOWS\inf folder weights 185Mb (XP x64), and it's full of folders that contain pretty much the same subfolders, like:

ASP

ASP.NET_2.0

ASP

ASP.NET_64_2.0

aspnet_state

MSDTC Bridge 3.0.0

ServiceModelEndpoint 3.0.0

ServiceModelOperation 3.0.0

ServiceModelService 3.0.0

SMSvcHost 3.0.0

Windows Workflow Foundation 3.0.0

Edited by Dogway