Any hope of getting Windows 2000 running on my PC?

Brahnix

It may not work with new drivers :}

In case of Nvidia drivers I can get it work only with v.270.x or older. Have you tried to restart the system after trying to enable the second display? I had to do it twice in order to finally get it working.

Probably :/ it isn't that big of a deal, however! Avast just flat out isn't working. I'm searching for a new AV. It installs, but causes a few errors, won't scan, and causes Windows 2000 to slow to a crawl.

How about Avast 7.x? It should work fine. Avast still releases database updates even for v4.8 :)

Edit: Avast 8 does work in my test machine... Are you sure that you installed all of the packages which I mentioned above in #26? :unsure: Avast 8 basically requires Windows 2000 SP4 + IE6 + Update Rollup 1 to work. It makes system unbootable after restart <_< I need to do more tests.

Edited by tomasz86

I got Avast 6 working! However, when it finds virus' (which it does, 5 of them) it can't remove them. Clicking remove does nothing. Hmph.

http://i.imgur.com/H24q6dg.jpg

Now I'm envious, seeing those six cores in 2000/task manager but my MDP-130s have a requirement for DVD playback that the machine

have only one core or otherwise invoke the /onecpu switch in windows.

As for an AV....go to filehippo and get AVG 7.5 or 8.5, until I moved on I was still using 7.5 for years and manually d/l'ing

the virus definitions and pointing the updater to the file on the drive rather than on-line. It works as 6.5 was the core and still is

for AVG 2013.

Then get the 2009 version of Outpost Firewall.

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/download-update-8

8,9, 2011,2012 all work but stick to one version series don't mix them.

I still want to use 2000 some time in the future, especially in a laptop

as my copy is the Volume Licence version with SP4 already integrated

and doesn't even need a key.

Edited by Browncoat

It's a great rig!.. sorta. Windows 2k won't boot anymore. I installed all of the KernelEX 2K equivalent updates and now Windows refuses to boot. It tries to boot, fails, and restarts. Are the files the updater replaced able to be replaced by the originals manually? I do still have Windows 7, which I'm typing from, and still have access to the drive. All-in-all, I was hoping to get some XP apps running and now it's broken...

You should use Version 7 of avast. That works properly in Win2k.

What do you mean by "KernelEX"? If you have installed UUR weekly, then you should never install any Kernel Extensions.

UUR already has the extensions.

For a good firewall you can use Malware Defender (located at http://windows2000.tk in the Programs section).

Also, have you tried standby? Does Win2k remain stable after it?

Edited by AnX

annnnd i'm back. 2k reinstalled right back to where I was before. sorry about that haha.

Alright, let's get back to where we were.

After UUR weekly,

First, get avast 7.0.1473.

Then get Malware defender from http://www.windows2000.tk programs list.

Install it and disable ALL protection EXCEPT network protection (We only need Firewall).

Disable Learning Mode.

Then, install Advanced SystemCare from IOBit and CCleaner.

Install Latest firefox and disable hardware acceration by going to Tools>Options>Enable Hardware Acceleration when possible

Install Flash (flash will still use hardware acceleation)

Install what you like.

Then, we should have a good Win2K machine.

Edited by AnX