Any hope of getting Windows 2000 running on my PC?

Brahnix

I have the HP Pavilion HPE h8-1234 and Windows 2000, next to Windows ME, is probably my favorite version of Windows. I've read a bit on the forums with Windows 2000 working on newer computers, so I was wondering if Windows 2000 stood any chance on mine? If so, any insight? What can I do? Where do I start? Thanks!

Windows 2000 should work on that system. But if your system has 10GBs of RAM, then Win2K will only address 8GB of RAM via PAE. You will need an updated Win2K install source, UR2 download here, and the daily version of UURollup here.

Then the drivers. You will need blackwingcat's ATi Forceware download here. Set the SATA Controller to IDE, or integrade drivers if possible. The Sound and ethernet should work downloading off of the Internet. I'm in doubt of the WiFi, but maybe it will also work with UUR. (like mine does)

So in short, do all this, and you should have Win2K running. I reccommend you secure it with avast! antivirus.

Edited by AnX

Alright. The second link is broken, and the third link leads to a Japanese website, so I don't know which one to download. Should/can I slipstream all of this stuff onto the disc? and what is PAE? sorry if I sound ridiculously ignorant, I haven't played around with Win2k in a year or so because I thought I wouldn't be able to run it anymore. EDIT: The second link does work, but for some reason there was "homeimprovement.com" or something in front of the dropbox URL and it broke it. That was odd.

Edited by Brahnix

The only thing I don't see working is the 10GBs since Windows 2000 Professional is limited to 4GBs. Now if you installed something like Advanced Server or Datacenter Server, I think it'd utilize more. blackwingcat's radeon driver should work. This should be the latest one that works: http://w2k.flxsrv.org/cgi-bin/dl.cgi?file=ati1204w2k.cab, the sound might work but I'm not 100% sure on that either. You might have to disassemble a driver to force it to install since I know Creative makes their only for Windows XP SP2 but taking the package apart works. AnX said switching the SATA controller to IDE. A lot of computers are starting to disallow that so you might have to create a new Windows 2000 CD and slipstream the SATA drivers into it if it doesn't work out.

As for the daily UURollup v11, the link is right here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ch0oa53ew4i4fxq/iKFCqvLRNN/Public/Windows2000/UnofficialUpdatesRollup/Daily

I don't generally recommend using the daily in an open environment but all the latest ones are stable as I've been testing them out for quite a while now. The latest are usually down at the bottom. If you have any questions about UURollup in general, ask tomasz86 or me.

JFYI - the Japanese Website... Go to

http://translate.google.com

and copy/paste the website address link into it and tell it "From Japanese" and "To English". Any links found to actual "software" should not be clicked on, instead do it from the ORIGINAL webpage.

HTH (a little...)

I've gotten Windows 2000 to accept booting up, but once I get onto the install onto which HDD (I do have a partition set aside for Windows 2k, I'm not that bad) I get a crazy list of things basically stating my entire HDD is filled with 7 partitions and they're all corrupt. Why does this happen and how can i fix it? here's a screeny of what I get. SL2jmrw.jpg

I've gotten Windows 2000 to accept booting up, but once I get onto the install onto which HDD (I do have a partition set aside for Windows 2k, I'm not that bad) I get a crazy list of things basically stating my entire HDD is filled with 7 partitions and they're all corrupt. Why does this happen and how can i fix it?

You need 48-bit LBA support. My copy of Win2K has it, and I could easily install onto the 500GB HDD. Just search on how to enable it, and you will have large HDD support.

Edited by AnX

after a quick google search, I've gotten no fixes. is there a way to have to enable it for setup?

You need to slipstream USP 5.1. That's how I did it. You will have to use a tool called nLite, download the USP 5.1 from the http://www.windows2000.tk archive, then download nLite, slipstream and burn a new CD. Then you can install Win2K, UR2, UUR and your drivers & software.

http://min.us/l368eXYLN6XV8

Just to show you what pae is, here is a screencast of my system with PAE enabled. As you can see, we have 4GB of RAM fully supported.

Edited by AnX

I'd suggest a simple "one-click" solution. Just download my HFSLIP_ia.7z package, unpack it, copy your Windows 2000 source into the SOURCE folder and run the HFSLIP script. You need to do it under Windows NT 5.x (2000/XP/2003).

After it's finished you'll have an (almost) fully updated Windows 2000 source ready to be installed. You can add SATA drivers for your controller using nLite and I'd suggest doing that instead of IDE mode.

In order to use up to 8GB of memory you'll have to enable PAE but there may be actually a problem with the graphics driver. In the past I experienced a situation when the AMD graphics driver just wouldn't start when PAE was enabled. You should still try though. In the worst case the system will work without PAE and use between 2.75-3.75 GBs of memory.

@Tommy With blackwingcat's core files you can use up to 8GB of RAM in any Windows 2000 edition ;)

Edited by tomasz86

Hey, guys, with all due respect :) those nice packages :thumbup are completely UNlike the answer to the question if it is ONLY "How to add LBA 48-bit support to 2k?".

The source needs to be at least slipstreamed to SP3 (better to SP4).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098/en-us

Then you need to edit setupreg.hiv to add the EnableBigLBA:

page__st__17

jaclaz