Which updates to exclude from slipstreaming into Win7 x64 SP1

As the title says, I need to know which updates I have to exclude from slipstreaming into a Win7 x64 SP1 image file (with RT Se7ven).

I'm using the latest Win7 x64 SP1 .ulz, and I remember reading somewhere that if I include all MSUs, then Windows installation will fail, which I've tested to be true.

So, which MSUs shouldn't be slipstreamed?

Went to their forum but as you can see it's practically dead, so I though I'd rather ask here.

I don't know what you mean by "lite-ing".

Also, after extensive thread crawling, I think I may have found what I needed;

Apparently, the updates to exclude are KB2603229, KB2533552 and KB2506143.

"lite-ing" = RT7LITE = removing/"lightening" Windows 7 = You still may go "boom".

That post you linked to was NOT about RT7LITE. Reread that post and the one previous.

BTW, did you see this?

See post #3 then post#7 (a "better" software).

From Google cache

RT Se7en Lite is developed by Rockers Team to customize windows 7 operating system and to make it lite. You can add wallpapers, Icons, themes, integrate updates, drivers, language packs, applications, remove components, enable or disable features, unattended installation settings, bootable ISO and USB creator , etc. It will be very easy to operate and changing the style of your windows 7 operating system.
IOW, it's very similar to nLite/vlite. If you at those subforums, you'll find lists of "what not to remove".

Basically, you're using a "defunct" and "failure-prone" "lite-ing" software. It's a dead project...

And... apparently you CAN directly integrate Updates (ignore post#10) .

...THEN "lite" it.

HTH

Somewhat Off-Topic - installed Win7SP1u last week (someone else' PC recovery) and "manually" installed the Updates, just because I didn't want to "Integrate".

Edited by submix8c

I'm not removing updates or features from a Windows ISO, I'm adding updates (hotfixes aka KB*******) to an ISO with RT7 (which works perfectly fine for what I need it to, except for the slowliness). But, because Microsoft has set those updates not to be integratable, an error will pop up during installation of Windows with the above mentioned updates integrated (experienced this myself). If I don't integate those 3 KB's, Windows will install just fine, and with most updates preinstalled.

Edited by ShEsHy

Gotcha! ;)

Guess the alternative(s) is to put it/them in the "runonce"-style Unattended-method or "SysPrep" it as another post indicated. :unsure:

Just to point out, you did NOT indicate that you weren't "altering" anything.

It's all good now. Glad you figured it out. :thumbup

In case someone else needs this, per Member steven4554 (from your given link).

There are updates that must not be integrated which do give out a these error messages during Win7 install, these are KB2603229, KB2533552 and KB2506143!
by whatever method of Integration.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2603229

Do not slipstream this update into preconfigured operating system images. You must run this update only after the operating system is installed and the Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE) is finished.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533552

Applies to both RTM and SP1 so two "update paths" (GDR and QFE) so may get "confused" ( :unsure: )

Notes

* You must install this update package on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system. You cannot install this update on an offline image.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2506143

Additionally, you must install the following software:

* Microsoft .NET Framework 4 must be installed before you install Windows Management Framework 3.0.

Kind of explains it, doesn't it? :yes:

• 1 month later...

After the March 13' Enterprise hotfix rollup came out (90 hotfixes), I decided to update my Windows 7 x64 SP1 media.

My first attempt was just to use the Windows offline downloader, take all post SP1 security and optional updates, then integrate them into a disk using Win 7 toolkit. This method failed miserably, as the OS would not install.

I ended up installing the OS with SP1, writing down what updates where required, then download them from Windows Update Catalog site. I integrated them and reinstalled, then found a few more updates which I downloaded and integrated.

I've wound up integrating approximately 109 security/optional updates into Win7 SP1 without that script popup for non-integratable/add-on updates, so it's as close to Microsoft official as possible. When I install the OS I only have a few things to download, which are things that do not cleanly integrate without the add-on script or that I don't want to integrate.

Anyways, point of this post is to tell you that I don't think there is a list of specific must have updates. There are some, but you'll probably have to install the OS and look what's available and download them separately to integrate. But now that I know about the three not to integrate, I may try redownloading non-SP available updates with WSUS offline, deleting those three, and trying to integrate what's left.

*update*

I just made a combination disc. I used WSUS Offline to grab post-SP1 updates, and I also used Windows Update Downloader to get security and non-security updates. Again using Win 7 toolkit, I imported the WSUS offline updates first, then imported the WUD updates (many of which I figured would be identical). For some reason I got a few dozen updates saying that they are upgrades for existing KB's, which I have never seen before on Win 7 toolkit do. I left it to integrate over night (205 updates!). I will try the disc tomorrow.

Edited by bigdogchris

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Other than those listed, are there any more hotfixes that cannot be slipstreamed?

I know about KB25333552 and this is in a "post install" script that it run before the computer is renamed to the asset tag and then rebooted.

KB2603229 however doesn't seem worthwhile - is this even being pushed via Windows Update?

Same for KB2506143, it is actually being pushed via WU?

• 1 year later...

Know it's an old topic, though is there any preferred order to install these non-integrateable fixes?

I'm using this to install on my W7x64 sp1 image with setupcomplete.cmd

START /WAIT wusa.exe Windows6.1-KB2533552-x64.msu /quiet /norestart
START /WAIT wusa.exe Windows6.1-KB2993651-x64.msu /quiet /norestart

Windows6.1-KB2993651-x64.msu doesn't seem to install?