Windows 98 on a 2006 laptop?

Hello, I have an older laptop from 2006, it's Packard Bell Easynote and has AMD Turion64. It's running XP, but I want to convert it to Win 98 (or if impossible Win 2000) for nostalgia purposes. See, although I've used XP more than Win 98, I miss 98 way more than I'll ever miss XP. And although I haven't used Win 2000 for more than a few months, it looks a lot like 98 GUI-wise. So, will 98 install on that, considering it's 64 bit processor? Most of the drivers are available for Win 9X and 2000.

I have no problems with 98SE on my HP NX6125 that has a Turion64 in it. I did have to hack ATI video driver to support the mobile chip and replace the WiFi card to something that has 98SE drivers.

Your main problem will be drivers.

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to install 98se on a Dell Inspiron 8600. It's been rough--lockups trying to install pci, usb drivers. Intel 855 Chipset drivers and the tweaked Nvidia seem to load ok till it gets to usb installation. I do have my cd key memorized now though. I've been writing down the order I install drivers/updates and trying different orders. Haven't figured it out what works yet. I might have a hardware issue though- when it warms up it takes way longer to load stuff. I'd love to talk to someone who's accomplished this.

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to install 98se on a Dell Inspiron 8600. It's been rough--lockups trying to install pci, usb drivers. Intel 855 Chipset drivers and the tweaked Nvidia seem to load ok till it gets to usb installation. I do have my cd key memorized now though. I've been writing down the order I install drivers/updates and trying different orders. Haven't figured it out what works yet. I might have a hardware issue though- when it warms up it takes way longer to load stuff. I'd love to talk to someone who's accomplished this.

Got everything working including bluetooth (dell bluetooth 350 module).  I had the most trouble with Intel's IDE controller- trick was to set to primary only then run 'add new hardware' non plug and play wizard to install ide for cd drive.  The same goes with Dell Inspiron 9200, which is a nicer computer( wide screen, 4 usb, subwoofer).  There's a specific install order for the 9200-install bluetooth hardware/software last after all updates. 

• 2 months later...

I have no problems with 98SE on my HP NX6125 that has a Turion64 in it. I did have to hack ATI video driver to support the mobile chip and replace the WiFi card to something that has 98SE drivers.

Are you able to use the memory card reader in 98SE?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm really impressed with my Dell Inspiron E1505 manufactured mid 2006.  I've just updated the cpu to T7400 Core2 Duo and it can do 1080p on youtube with Geforce Go 7300 in 98SE.  It had a 1.6 ghz Core Duo which could do 720p.   Of course there's no Windows 98 sound driver so I'm using bluetooth speakers. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi, what is the best Laptop/Notebook that will run with Win98se ?

I use my nx6125 (Sempron) with win98se. It's good but not perfect. I think I will check out some old IBM thinkpad series. I would love to play some Quake1/2/3 but also UNreal/UT99/Severace.

What I need:

Win98se DX7 and above compilant gfx-card with win98se drivers.

A sbpro dos-kompatible Sound would be VERY helpful, because I would love to play some dosgames with adlib/fm as well. 

A 13/14/15" tft with 1024x768 native would be nice.

Any guys here with some experiences on thinkpad t-series with win9x?

With your requirements, I would propose the IBM ThinkPad T21. However, its GPU is rather weak.
Best laptop in terms of the GPU power for 98SE is the IBM ThinkPad T42 (or T42p). But its sound card is AC'97, not compatible with pure DOS.

There really is no perfect laptop out-of-the-box, you can try something like OPL2LPT or a dock with a PCI slot.

• 2 years later...
On 3/20/2013 at 5:13 PM, TmEE said:

I have an NX6125 that i am trying to work with w98. Mainly to play some retro games. I ha maneged install drivers for audio, network and usb. But no luck with drivers for graphic card. I have tried to find some drivers that work with w98, but no luck. Can you share  how you got yours to work? What was the hack? Please share...