(SOLVED)Win 8 very slow on cold boot up and some services

frozon

My win 8 laptop take long time to finish cold boot up and there are many services hang on start up.(ie: sppsvc, audiosrv and so on).

The attachment is a xbootmgr trace. It`s hard for me to analysis this trace file.

The only thing I know from the trace file is the cdrom.sys take long time to start but there is not cd rom/dvd romr in my laptop

Problem found, there are issues in motherboard dual channel memory support, when one memory removed, it takes about 5 senconds to desktop. I had contacted the customer support to change a motherboard.

Thanks for help!

summary_boot.xml

Edited by frozon

but it looks like you use a virtual DVD drive or a software which adds GEARAspiWDM (CD filter driver). remove this Gear driver and look if the boot is faster.

I tried remove dt. But noting changed.

the CPU is busy all the time because the the Kernel is doing some wired things. Run this command:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -stackwalk profile

this captures more data, so that I can see what the kernel is doing. Zip and upload this new file.

the CPU is busy all the time because the the Kernel is doing some wired things. Run this command:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -stackwalk profile

this captures more data, so that I can see what the kernel is doing. Zip and upload this new file.

http://sdrv.ms/149j7M6

the new trace file

ok, the Kernel, SMSS.exe, WinInit.exe and are all busy loading all CAT files and generating the hashes (ci.dll!CiValidateImageHeader) from the folder

C:\Windows\system32\catroot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\

. I've seen this in Windows 7 where you have too many MUI Packs installed . How many do you use?

ok, the Kernel, SMSS.exe, WinInit.exe and are all busy loading all CAT files and generating the hashes (ci.dll!CiValidateImageHeader) from the folder

C:\Windows\system32\catroot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\

. I've seen this in Windows 7 where you have too many MUI Packs installed . How many do you use?

None, also a clean installtion will take long time to boot up.

Now I use the en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso (SHA1:1CE53AD5F60419CF04A715CF3233F247E48BEEC4) set target edtion to professinalwmc with .net 3.5 enabled and integrate all hotfix(due to kb2770917 always faied install with a clean installtion).And also i remeber when i use enable feature in control panel to enable .net 3.5, when complete download, it take almost 1 hour up to finish the execution.Maybe it was caused by same reason.

I had use this image on a vm running in another machine, everything goes well.

Edited by frozon

The KB2770917 fails if you run a software called nlsX86cc (Nalpeiron Licensing Service) runs in background. YOu must first install this update:

KB2792476 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2792476

This compatibility update also resolves the issues that are described in the following articles:

2787757 Configuring Updates stage stops at 15 percent completion when you try to install update 2770917 in Windows 8

2787752 You cannot add features in Windows 8

If the Iarge works for other VMs, your Crucial M4 SSD has an issue. Update the Firmware and test it with a diag tool from Crucial.

The KB2770917 fails if you run a software called nlsX86cc (Nalpeiron Licensing Service) runs in background. YOu must first install this update:

KB2792476 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2792476

This compatibility update also resolves the issues that are described in the following articles:

2787757 Configuring Updates stage stops at 15 percent completion when you try to install update 2770917 in Windows 8

2787752 You cannot add features in Windows 8

If the Iarge works for other VMs, your Crucial M4 SSD has an issue. Update the Firmware and test it with a diag tool from Crucial.

I`m sure it is not caused by nlsX86cc beacause i tried with a clean and non 3rd driver and any software installtion, it still happend.

I`ll try a crucial scan when back.

-----------------------------------------------------

the firmware is the newest.

Couldn`t find the offical diag tool,use the hd tune pro, no error found.

Tried to use the offical cmd tool perform a force firmware refresh, then perform a chkdsk and sfc scan, reboot, nothing changed.

Edited by frozon

do you have a different SSD which you can use for testing purpose? Maybe the SSD has an issue that no tool can detect.

Tried another ssd, still boot very slow. And take the new ssd to another machine. everything goes well.Any other idea?

the new trace file of new ssd on laptop and on another machine.

http://sdrv.ms/X13J1N

Edited by frozon

Problem found, there are issues in motherboard dual channel memory support, when one memory removed, it takes about 5 senconds to desktop. I had contacted the customer support to change a motherboard.

Thanks for help!

Edited by frozon