Hard Drive Bad Boot Sector Windows 8

Here is the initial scans as I wait for the fat and ntfs scans:

Capture9 is drive itself

Capture10 is the image of the disk I took before anything ran on it.

Then definitely there is a glitch in the TESTDISK (or in the way you used it :whistle: ) :ph34r:

DMDE sees the *same* partitions as the referenced post AND it sees a GPT :yes: disk (and not a MBR one :no: ).

Maybe it is a "hybrid" partitioning. :unsure:

Can you try running again testdisk this time selecting the GPT partitioning scheme here:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/File:Partition_table_type.gif

(and post the log)

Seemingly that @Active tool you are using is also thinking that the thingy is MBR (and possibly has actually no support whatever for GPT).

jaclaz

Then definitely there is a glitch in the TESTDISK (or in the way you used it :whistle: ) :ph34r:

Most likely user error lol

DMDE sees the *same* partitions as the referenced post AND it sees a GPT :yes: disk (and not a MBR one :no: ).

Maybe it is a "hybrid" partitioning. :unsure:

Can you try running again testdisk this time selecting the GPT partitioning scheme here:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/File:Partition_table_type.gif

(and post the log)

Seemingly that @Active tool you are using is also thinking that the thingy is MBR (and possibly has actually no support whatever for GPT).

jaclaz

Capture11_zps54f4fa29.jpg

As far as it will let me go. Clicking quick search does nothing. Seems like it freezes.

edit: Apologies it just took forever to change to searching.

Edited by blackillusion

Hmmm. :unsure:

Even if DMDE can see the partition structure correctly I seem to remember that it doesn't operate (or doesn't operate fully) on GPT disks.

Time to try gdisk:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/repairing.html

I have no experience with it, so I will be of very little help about it's use. :blushing:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hmmm. :unsure:

Even if DMDE can see the partition structure correctly I seem to remember that it doesn't operate (or doesn't operate fully) on GPT disks.

Time to try gdisk:

I have no experience with it, so I will be of very little help about it's use. :blushing:

jaclaz

I must apologise I did edit my post but probably too slow: It did read and here we are:

Capture12_zps635e8dcc.jpg

Edited by blackillusion

I must apologise I did edit my post but probably too slow: It did read and here we are:

NO need to apologize at all, but still we have "only" 4 partitions in this view AND we do have now a "new"[bOOT] partition that has however an "improbable" size.

Try pressing Enter and doing a Deeper scan...

In any case running gdisk seems like a good idea.

jaclaz

NO need to apologize at all, but still we have "only" 4 partitions in this view AND we do have now a "new"[bOOT] partition that has however an "improbable" size.

Try pressing Enter and doing a Deeper scan...

In any case running gdisk seems like a good idea.

jaclaz

Running Testdisk deeper search was taking forever I would have leave it tonight if you think that testdisk will help.

Im a bit clueless on gdisk :

Capture13_zps7f1785e7.jpg

Im a bit clueless on gdisk :

Which makes a nice, round, TWO of us! :ph34r:

However it shows the exact same partitions TESTDISK showed once in GPT mode.

The only tool (till now) that "sees" something more (or better) is DMDE.

Ysing the "r" and then the "v" option in gdisk should only provide additional info (and not change the disk contents):

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

If this is Windows 8 on a GPT disk, that MSR partition is required. I'm not sure what it does exactly or how the OS would react without it, but it is a requirement for deployment. I wonder if you can add it back in with that unallocated space. :unsure:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825686.aspx

I should try it out, see how Win8 reacts to that partition suddenly disappearing. :ph34r:

edit: will have to wait until monday... :}

Well here is one for you. I changed sector size on testdisk to 512 ran a quick search it found the partitionas like dmde. I then decided to put in in the laptop and try the recovery disk "automatically repair" and it found the boot and os partitions and repaired them. I am able to boot to windows now no problems.

Well here is one for you. I changed sector size on testdisk to 512 ran a quick search it found the partitionas like dmde. I then decided to put in in the laptop and try the recovery disk "automatically repair" and it found the boot and os partitions and repaired them. I am able to boot to windows now no problems.

That's good news :) though of course we don't really know what actually was the issue, nor what could have been the actual fix :(.

Maybe the actual issue was the originally presumed one (some kind of mismatch between 512 and 4096 bytes sectors) but I wonder how it can happen (unless the original laptop BIOS *somehow* sees the disk as being 512 byts/sector while when you mount it "externally" to your "work PC" it is seen - correctly - as 4096 bytes/sector :unsure: ).

However, the only important thing is that you are now among the happy bunnies in the basket. :thumbup

jaclaz