How to set memory speed and timings

khonjo

I installed DDR3 1866 but the memory is running at 1600. My question is how to change the speed to 1866. I changed the multiplier from 8 to 9.33 leaving "Auto" for the timings but that resulted in no boot. The memory is Patriot PV38G186C9KRD. The spec is DDR3 1866 with 9-10-9-27. FX-6300 is running on GA-970A-UD3.

This is what is shown on CPU-Z and this is the BIOS screen for the memory speed and timings. There are more than 9-10-9-27 to be set.

Edited by khonjo

Hmmm. not really sure (haven't looked into your MoBo BIOS settings) but the Memory usually can't be changed above the range of the CPU (AFAIK, depending on MoBo) -

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-6300.html

It says that DDR3-1866 is supported. USUALLY "Auto" correctly sets it to the "slowest' Memory Stick.

This should be moved to the "Hardware" section by a Moderator/Supervisor for more visibility.

"Designed for Intel 6/7 Series Platforms" is printed on the package of the Patriot memory. I wonder if this means the memory is not compatible with FX-6400. On the other hand when "Manual" instead of "Auto" is used for setting the memory speed and/or timings? I thought the "Manual" is used when "Auto" fails to set them correctly.

Does the memory have XMP profile in it by chance? If so, there should be a way in the BIOS to make it use those values, without having to dig in timings manually.

I am not familiar with AMD platform at all though, but I believe the basics still apply...

The RAM's spec shows Feature Overclock XMP 1.3. I looked for the XMP on the BIOS but could not find it. I decided to go ahead and changed mult facter from 8 to 9.33 and the timings for those I know of or 9-10-9-27, and left defaults as were for those I do not know about. The result was that the system booted fine. The defaul values left unchanged appear to have been automatically changed. The CPU-Z now shows this. The voltage as shown on the RAM spec is 1.50 but the BIOS now shows 1.510V. Probably I do not need be concerned about. But It should work at 1.50V since I am not overclocking.

Edited by khonjo