How to edit registry so that it doesn't need to restart before ins

Gibbs

You said " As for the REPLACEMENT files, I SAID to use the Windows Explorer View Details - you could FURTHER go to

-Tools->Folder Options General Tab - tick "Classic"->View Tab->

--"Display the contents of system folders" - YES

--"Show hidden files and folders" - YES

--"Hide extensions for known file types" - NO

--"Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" - NO (click OK)

-Click "Apply" and the "Apply to All Folders"

I have done that years ago. I like to see system files and folders.

The original installation CD I have says "Windows xp Professional Includes Service Pack 1 Version 2002" So I am using my original CD to create the slipstream.

I've followed it TO THE LETTER and is integrating as I speak. In the exact order that you mentioned and "cooking" directions. I forgot and clicked the Unattended install, so will have to edit the file in the i386 and delete the part with the [uNATTENDED] section of WINNT.SIF I use Crimson Editor for most of my editing, really nice edit program.

EDIT: UPDATE I burned the CD and installed via "upgrade" with a running Windows system and even did it as a reboot and "reapair" option. IE 8 is NOW working fine, however, Media Player 11 did not install on the slipstream even after all that detailed instructions (Thanks and kudos to to submix8c for all the posts).

I still get this when I try to install Windows Media Player 11 on my computer... it gets to about 75% and then fails the install, no matter how many times I reboot or logoff and log back on.

post-375099-0-92206200-1362944383_thumb.

This long thread (now 4 pages) is mostly about slipstreaming using N-lite , and really should belong in the N-Lite sub-forums. submix8c "did" put the proper instructions into that part of the sub-forums in this forum site. However....

Please re-read post #1. This started out not about slipstreaming, but about a way to do a search on the registry to "FIND" that key or section that was making the system think it needed to reboot before doing anything more. There is a glitch in the registry someplace. What key words would I use in the "FIND" part of the registry?? I have tried "restart" "reboot" to no luck. Somewere in the registry there is a value of (1) in some part that makes the system believe that no more installs can be done before a complete restart to finish a file; or program install or unistall; or update to a program.

I posted in the Windows XP sub-forum since I believed this is the proper place to ask about registry entries and fixing a problem with the registry.

still issues with installing certain MS products (3-10-13)

Edited by Gibbs

I will assume you did it EXACTLY as I said (post #62) in the linked post prior to the above.

For some strange reason, FF was locking trying to get/save the image. I used an alternate method (software). (Adobe stuck in Memory/eating CPU...)

1 - I'm REALLY unsure as to WHY the "setup" program is "hi-lited" (as far as I can deduce, seeing as how it's BEHIND the Error Screen). Is that the Media Player Folder you're in? If so, why didn't you click on the Media Player file instead of the Setup File?

2 - Did you try to access it from the "Programs->Accessories->Entertainment" Menu?

3 - Did you try the ORIGINAL fixes (the VIDEO) that I provided?

4 - You said "issues with installing certain MS products" - can you specify?

5 - Did you try Windows Update yet, and if failing, the FIX directly from Microsoft?

6 - Have you checked to see if those "$NT*.*" Folders "magically" deleted? (see BAT file I provided)

7 - Have you checked to see if the ServicePack Folder got "cleaned" ("magically deleted")of the I386 folder (the one YOU installed loooong ago)?

Those Folders should be LONG GONE!!!! and there should be nearly NO LOG files (the OTHER BAT I gave you) with a date AFTER the Repair Install

WHICH method of Repair Install did you use? I RECOMMENDED Alternative #1 and gave my PREFERRED Alternative #2 (that I ALWAYS use).

a - Boot to CD <-What you kept doing

b - Autoplay/Setup from Running <-Recommended

c - "WINNT32" from Running <-My Preferred

I notice that you NOW have an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SYMPTOM for MediaPlayer!!!! AGAIN, WGA comes into play EVEN WITH WMP11. Double-check the "Windows\System32\WPA.DBL" file for last-boot-date/time and run the MSOOBE command "for fun". You SHOULD be good on that AND running WMP11.

We're not done yet, as you can see. ;)

Edited by submix8c

Ok, I wish to clarify. In the C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\ is a files WMPLAYER.EXE . I hover over it and it give me file version 10.0.0.3646 If I double click it, Windows Media Player ver. 10 opens up. So after the configruation I closed it. There is no Windows Media Player 11 found, except in my registry. Not in the Program FIles.

What you see in the bacground of that screen save is where I had made a folder and unpacked the WindowsMediaPlayer11.exe files so that it shows all the files. If I click on the oringal executable it merely unpacks to a temp file and starts the install. One of the FIRST things it dows is Validate my copy of Windows. It does that. Next screeen asks for the acceptance of the EULA. Once I click that it starts with the mesage Windows Media Player is installing the upgrade. It gets about 75% of the way and then the ERROR mesage.

The WPA.DBL shows a modified date of 3-10-2013 at 8:53PM (NOTE: I just tried it again to get the verbage for this post). Also next to it is a WPA.BAK file that was modified 10-27-2011.

I used B first and then tried A for repair install. Didn't try the C method.

*.nt folders are in the C:/Windows folder, but don't seem to be as many of them. 49 at count, all hidden except for one.

#5. > I Just opened up a new tab and choose Windows Update: Got this message: You need to restart your computer to finish installing a program or updates. You cannot view or get other updates from the site until you restart.

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x8DDD0007) yourself.

This is where MSOOBE.EXE resides in my system: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\oobe Would you like a screenshot of the folder? running MSOOBE.EXE returns nothing.

I had issues with installing Internet Explorer 8 like I had mentioned previously, probably post #1 or so.

Anytime the system "consistently" keeps thinking there is a need to restart for installing something like the MS products it makes me think that there is a glitch in the Microsoft portion of the registry. After all, I did download and successfully install and run CC Cleaner.

I can try to install IE8 again to see if the same error message pops up, but with IE8 working I am reluctant to mess with that.

BTW, I slipstreamed SP3 onto a Windows Home sp1 CD for the "TASTE" computer using the Auto Steamer and prior to installing cloned HD into new case and motherboard I uninstalled IE8 from her computer. When set up and re-activated I used the IE8 program on my "LAB2" computer across the network and installed IE8 successfully for her. She is now doing great going from an ABIT mb to a GIGABYTE mb with a 64 bit processor.

Thanks, -X- ! That was one of the first of many registry corrections I tried several weeks back. I tried it again this morning before going to work, and rebooted. When I went to Windows Update site (after deleting that value "RebootRequired" it gave me the same message. I opened the regedit back up (hint to others: if you close the registry editor without collapsing it, when re-opened it will go to the exact same spot you last viewed) and there it was again, after I had deleted it and rebooted. So.... I deleted it again and then went back to IE8 and clicked on the Windows Update (Tools) and when I went there it asked me "Express" or "Custom". Headed for work about then and it was running and so was the HD looking at stuff. When I get home will see.

Placeholder- I'll be back - taking grand-son to preschool. Still a couple of unanswered questions. Forget "placeholder". - X- below has pointed to a Topic that indicates two other Keys/Values that MAY or MY NOT be causing the WMP11 to "fail".

I will NOT swear to this but WILL test the "Repair" using the "corrected" How To Integrate IE8/WMP11 instructions and MY Preferred Method. Those folders should be GONE GONE GONE!!!, Generally speaking, "Upgrade Install" should WIPE all files that are present ONLY ON THE CD, Delete all of the Folders I had specified (as they will NO LONGER APPLY), RETAIN the Registry (thus keeping ALL Installed Apps settings), and Reload ALL CD FILES to their appropriate place AND Reload all CD Registry Settings.

Now, back to WMP11 -

Unpacking JUST the Installer leaves SEVERAL OTHER FILES that are ALSO Installers! That's what the WMP11 Integrator takes care of. Didn't notice that, did you? ;) Maybe you did and THAT is why you tried to use the "setup" AGAIN (pointless, as the Original does the same thing, but PASSES PARAMETERS as well).

It's KIND of looking like that "WMP10" Install/Uninstall you had done FAILED and that MAY have been what horked it up (Reboot Required).

Now, as for the WPA.DBL, the Date/Time should (as I said) show the LAST BOOT DATE (WPA rechecks itself to see if you radically changed hardware, requiring Reactivation). The "WPA.BAK" file had to be done by YOU at some point in time ("Method of retaining Activation" found from searching on it). As far as the MSOOBE" "trick", I had CORRECTED how to do that (and I specified it in the New Link on "How To Integrate").

Now, as for "Repair Install", as I said above I will use "Method C", which I had recommended YOU use. And as for thos FOLDERS, see Second Paragraph.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE SQUAT (e.g. IE8) MANUALLY AT ALL! YOU WILL MESS UP THE TEST BED, DAMMIT!

Continuing -

3 - Did you try the ORIGINAL fixes (the VIDEO) that I provided?

4 - You said "issues with installing certain MS products" - can you specify?

* - There is ALSO an MSUPDATE FIX THAT YOU DID NOT DO (clean the MS Update "brains")

Again, your LOG files that you previously provided tell a "story" of what you ATTEMPTED to do. FACT!

In addition what's your deal with "Autostreamer"?

http://www.pagestart.com/slipstreamsp3.html

http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?showtopic=12480

http://www.ubcd4win.com/slipstream.htm

It's a "Neowin" (fanboy) product -

http://www.neowin.net/news/autostreamer-1033-released

Are you aware that the First Link given that speaks of nLite is total BS? If you do NOT use anything OTHER than Service Pack and Hotfixes, it's FAR superior to Autostreamer. In addition you MAY not be aware that "the word on the street" is that Nuhi (nlite Creator) now works for Microsoft? ADDITIONALLY, can Autostreamer slipstream Drivers (bet the answer is NO)?

This clearly demonstrates that Autostreamer is incapable of doing what nLite -OR- RVM Integrator can do. ;)

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/575995-what-steps-to-take-to-get-fully-up-to-date-xp-cd/

Edited by submix8c

Placeholder (see post #68 and #69) -

Will be back in about an hour. Proceeding to "stomp" on my "Sysprep Work" Computer. Please note that I have installed ALL fixes, Updates and ADDITIONAL SOFTWARES (e.g. Nero) on it MANUALLY, so it SHOULD "mirror" your Scenario EXCEPT the failures you speak of. Additionally, I will INTENTIONALLY uninstall WMP11 and INSTEAD install WMP10 to "proof" the scenario.

DO NOT SCREW WITH YOUR PC! WE NEED A STABLE "TESTBED"!!! You DO want it completely "repaired", don't you? ;)

Got home for lunch and looked at what happened with the updates. It found 67 updates and I clicked on install. ALL this before I read any email posts from submix8c.

It downloada a bugger full of megabytes of updates....then failed. This is the screenshot of what I saw.

post-375099-0-14674800-1363017949_thumb.

It had ask me to run on Automatic Updates, which I did, and not get that "NAG" of a popup saying I need to restart.

BIG UPDATE!!!

I went to the first link of -X- of the geekstogo.com website and selected and printed the following (from at work) :

I recently had the same issue as outlined in this thread. During my troubleshooting i found many forums and pages pointing to the registry keys noted above but none to the registry key that eventually remedied my issue. I called Microsoft and was pointed here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\UpdateExeVolatile]

"Flags"=dword:00000003

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\UpdateExeVolatile_01C60B4A7471BAAB]

"Flags"=dword:00000002

After changing the above keys to "0" I was able to install SP2 and updates successfully.

I wanted to put this out there because during our search i saw no reference to these keys.

I just looked in my registry, and the one was set to a value of 3 and the other was to a value of 2, so I changed them to a value of 0.

Value 3 means" Both a software update installations and a software update removal are awaiting a system restart. If the incomplete update is a security update, then the system may be at rist until it is restarted"

Value 2 means: "A software update installations is awaiting a system restart. If the incomplete update is a security update, then the system may be at risk until it is restarted.

Value 1 means: "A software update removal is awaiting a system restart.'

Value 0 means: "A system restart is currently not required"

These values I found at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc164360(EXCHG.80).aspx I hope the link works *S*

After I did that I close the registry and went to my folder that had the Windows Media Player11 installations files. It made a backup of the registry, and proceeded and successfully installed Windows Media Player 11. Below is a screen shot of my computer after I set up Media Player 11 settings.

post-375099-0-56149900-1363019552_thumb.

Edited by Gibbs

(Heh...) Post #68

- X- below has pointed to a Topic that indicates two other Keys/Values that MAY or MY NOT be causing the WMP11 to "fail".
meaning "look at post #69". ;)

HOW MUCH do you want to BET that a Repair Install -MY WAY- will completely CURE everything now - INCLUDING all of that "cleanup" I told you about. Betting that ALL of those Updates are in the UDC Download. GO CHECK/COMPARE THE FILENAMES!

IOW, you have USELESSLY downloaded and installed a BUNCH of Updates via WU!

EDIT! Nope, those APPEAR to be dotNet and "sundry". NOT ONE OF THE FILES IN WU LIST SHOULD BE IN -X- LIST!!!

P.S. - Try "Custom" instead of "Express". "Express" sux!

( @#$%^& - having a REAL problem with saving the Pic Attachments - locks FF.)

Edited by submix8c

IOW, you have USELESSLY downloaded and installed a BUNCH of Updates via WU!

More than likely. However, It was funny that when I ran the N-lite program and inclueded -x- updates UDC pack that it would even find any updates.

Those updates from -X- web sites should have brought it all up to date.

However, I did notice this in the path of LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\UPDATES

post-375099-0-23054100-1363020461_thumb.

It must have been from an ealire "reinstall" when I used the Ryan VM update package.

Further down on that list on UPDATES, you will see the reference keys of UpdateExeVolatile and UpdateExeVolatile_******

You said: "ALL of those Updates are in the UDC Download. GO CHECK/COMPARE THE FILENAMES!

"

where are the UDC Download files stored?

Edited by Gibbs

You typed that BEFORE my Edit (go back and read it - just before your post).

I see dotNet and XML...

Clarification - UDC is NOT an "Update PacK". I thought I explained that/ These are FULL MS UPDATE FILES, unlike "Update Packs". Each File that MUST be made into an Add-On due to some "glitch" that MS presented -OR- that nLite doesn't handle properly (e.g. MediaPlayer) -OR- MS didn't provide the LATEST -OR- MS provided ONLY a CAB file (no installer) -AND- Adobe "SWFLASH" Player (NOT updated by MS), then THOSE are "reconstructed" into CAB "Add-On" files by the "UDCxxx.BAT".

You just KEEP confusing the two. Don't do that! WITHIN that "UDCxxxx" FOLDER is EVERY SINGLE REAL "FILE.EXE" from MS and ALL "FILE.CAB" are LITERALLY constructed from ORIGINALS!

Based upon UDC Downloader Files -AND- the SPECIFIC Instructions given in my "How To" Tutorial (see link) -AND- nLite, you will have a FULLY INTEGRATED CD, sans any "extras" like UPGRADES (which IE8 and WMP11 are), which INCLUDES but is NOT LIMITED TO, NET Framework, MSXMLv4, etc etc. AND "Update" is NOT an "Upgrade" or "New" Component. Didn't you notice you needed NETv2 to run nLite/WMP11? NOT included in a Clean Install from CD!!!! Notice that IF you were to Install from "scratch" on an Empty HDD, and use "Custom" at the WU-website, you WILL see a BUNCH of "Optionals" (see the keyword "Optional"?).

Alternatives for Full MS Files are "Windows Updates Downloader" and "Autopatcher". They are sometimes haphazardly "updated" (if at all), whereas -X- always is and RyanVM "Packs and Add-On's" usually are (but REMEMBER they are PACKS/ADD-ON's).

HTH

edit - With all due respect, QUIT USING AUTOSTREAMER! BTW, many RVM Members are "frequent flyers" here and vice-versa. We tend to ignore Neowin (fanboy website). Additionally, you probably could "toss" a MESS of those "update" files you stored long ago (already Superseded...). Start burning some "may be junk" backup CD's/DVD's. ;)

edit#2 - One might Wonder if all of those "failures" found in your Registry (fixed be Post #69 link) caused the Repair (actually UPGRADE) Install to hork up. :yes:

edit#3 - re - Neowin - google

msfn site:neowin.net

Now google

neowin site:msfn.org

now google

ryanvm site:msfn.org

(see last edit for the RyanVM website) :w00t:

---- EDIT (one..more...time...) ----

Unattended Guides http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

Also note that nLite website speaks of "Add-Ons" as does RyanVM.

Go here and see what happens - http://www.ryanvm.net/

Edited by submix8c

Yea, I know they (UDC) are not "packs" but actually files. It was a slip of verbage.

Copied every single file to the nlive 'add on" when asked as well as all the other 3 IE8 and 6 MP11 file "hotfixes".