Volume Shadow Service

Luxman

Hi. I am encountering a strange problem with XP SP3.

I am trying to run a program called DriveImage XML to verify if VSS is infact working properly. The reason for this is that I want to install Intel's SSD management software but it will only run if VSS is functioning.

The error message I receive when I try to make a (test) backup copy of my C: drive is Could not initialize VSS ... make sure VSSVC.exe is running in your task manager

As per the FAQ for DriveImage XML, both MS Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy services are indeed running, as well, vssvc.exe is verified running in the Processes list.

Perhaps there is a program that can alternatively verify if indeed this is the case?

If anyone is able to help me get this running I would very grateful (as usual).

Thanks very much for reading my enquiry.

Edited by Luxman

Hi allen.

That link is great but unfortunately I still am receiving the VSS error so it looks like I'll have to find a workaround for this.

I appreciate your help. Thanks very much.

You should try this too:

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50010.aspx?Keywords=VSS

(besides the "same" steps as the given link it provides also an "automatic" fixing tool).

To test VSS is working you can also try the trial version of the above:

http://www.macrium.com/pages/downloads.aspx

Check also this:

http://backupchain.com/hyper-v-backup/Troubleshooting.html

a common case is some "left overs" from programs (mostly Commercial) that leave a writer or however some invalid entries in the Registry.

First thing however, try running again DriveImageXML and check the event log (and post a screenshot of the specific error if any is logged).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

vssadmin list writers

From what I remember (it's been a few hours since I tried the steps from the link you provided) there were none listed. I also received an error as well (the same one DIXML gave).

Just for a point of reference this is a fresh XP install (yesterday) so there are no potential conflicting programs (I assume) as none have been installed.

First thing however, try running again DriveImageXML and check the event log

Thanks jaclaz but I don't think there is a log because this was just a test for verification of VSS running and there was simply the error message in a window advising VSS could not be found/start and that errors may occur during the backup.....

I've done many, many hours of googling VSS and it's certainly not just me with problems and in fact it appears many people seem to have problems trying to do what I intend to; run Intel's SSD disc management software on XP

I have a brand new machine I've just built that I'm installing XP on which has AHCI for my SSD so I may infact be ok.

Thanks for your great assistance. I've had two days of no sleep or food trying to do backups and build this new machine (which still isn't running)!

Thanks jaclaz but I don't think there is a log because this was just a test for verification of VSS running and there was simply the error message in a window advising VSS could not be found/start and that errors may occur during the backup.....

With all due respect :), you were not asked to think :ph34r:if an event was written to the event log , only to try checking the event log for it.

Have you done it and found no related events logged or you did not check it because you thought :whistle: that such an event would not have been recorded?

If you do not do EXACTLY what is suggested AND report EXACT results, you are likely to remain in the "I'm ill, Doctor. Help!" current status :w00t::

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

jaclaz

Ok. I've just had a look through Event Viewer and these are the error logs I received (while running DI XML) after going through all the steps from allen2's link.

• Event ID 5013: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Shadow Copy writer ContentIndexingService called routine RegOpenKeyExW (catalog list) which failed with status 0x80070002 (converted to 0x800423f4).
  • Event ID 12302:Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An internal inconsistency was detected in trying to contact shadow copy service writers. Please check to see that the Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating properly.

When these errors were posted both MS Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy services were running and vssvc.exe was running in task manager.

Thanks.

edit: could these errors possibly be related to DCOM Server Process Launcher being disabled?

Edited by Luxman