Unofficial XP SP4?

bizzybody

Why on a running system? New WGA (DPCDLL/PIDGEN) files (AFAIK). MS intentionally blocked it due to piracy. ;)

Also, Windows Update REFUSES to install "Express" ANYTHING until you get up to at minimum SP1/1a.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/i-cant-update-my-reloaded-xp-pro-to-sp3-without/37edb005-c9ac-45a7-a576-2adeb7904e3e

FYI - Difference between SP1 and SP1a is JUST Java removal. ;) AFAICR, SP2/SP3 does not remove Java (remember the Lawsuit?). (maybe THAT is the reason? :unsure: )

Edited by submix8c

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed SP3 on a running Windows XP system to see if it could fix an issues with someting missing on one of the computers at work that already had SP3 installed. He kept having an issue opening Excel files on our server and it would hang for the longest time. I re-installed SP3 on it and rebooted. Worked fine for re-install but not for his issue. I had to finally use Revo-Unistaller and removed Office 2003 completely and then delete the registry entries Revo-Uninstaller found. After that I re-installed Office 2003 and his isses with hanging were all gone.

Now if you can install SP3 on a running system, then to have a SP4 that included updated files and release, hotfixes, etc. would be an idel thing. Things like Internet Explorer ver 8 and Windows Media Player 11, etc would the the norm on a SP4 and no need to slipstream all that, just run it on a running XP install that had at least SP1 installed.

There exists "Unofficial Add-Ons" that could be construed as a "Service Pack" over at RyanVM website.

Here is an nLite Guide for getting everything directly from Microsoft and Integrating, including IE8 and WMP11.

www.msfn.org/board/topic/162279-how-to-integrate-basic-updatesie8wmp11/

There will (probably) NEVER be anything more than that. Why reinvent the wheel?