Vista RTM games on XP?

bizzybody

All I want from Vista on XP, aside from the Sidebar, is the RTM version of Solitaire. I installed Alky 1.1, copied the Solitaire.exe over from my Vista Ultimate laptop then rightclicked, used the patch and run option and... nothing. Not even an error message.

The beta version works... but it's a *beta version* with an out of position circle under the card pile. :P

Have you tried this? (Google really helps...)

<<--link removed by me-->>

edit - and FWIW, same Google

vista solitaire

yields "it sux / buggy'/etc.

Also, there is Solitaire and Spider Solitaire... I assume you mean the first one.

Edited by submix8c

What's odd is I can't get the beta version Vista games to work anymore simply by dropping the emulation dll into system32. I found an updated version of the dll which worked for a while but then it quit too. Used to be I could do a clean XP SP3 install then run Autopatcher with all the updates to current then add that dll and setup the games.

Now they only work with Alky installed. Dunno what Microsoft altered in some update or updates.

Ummm... Forget Beta - does the OTHER one work? Why do you want Beta? Is it better or something?

Sorry, I don't get your point. You asked, I replied. Work or not? Rationale for above post?

I want the RTM versions. I already have the beta versions, which have been working on XP since before Vista was released to manufacturing. There was much noise made about getting the RTM versions working, along with other software that "requires" Vista, but nothing much since.

Has anyone got any production release Vista software running on XP?

OK, just to point this out to you, the actual GAMES had to be PATCHED to work.

You figure it out... I don't play games.

Edited by submix8c

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go.

h**p://www.filedropper.com/games

Virus and Malware Free

Read the text note before doing anything.

You have to place 2 files manually into directories before the games will run properly.

Tested and used on my own system (XP SP3).

Edited by DarkRats

All I know about the RTM vista games is that after installing Alky 1.1 then copying the RTM version of the solitaire executable to XP, then right clicking and selecting either run vista executable or patch and run, doesn't work. Slecting Run does nothing at all, patch and run creates a manifest file, and nothing else happens. Would be nice if someone with the hack-fu know how would patch the RTM vista games executables like the beta versions were done. :-)

Filedropper wouldn't let me download that. I tried Firefox, IE and Chrome, several times. It'd get to 20~26 megabytes then cut off the download.

Blind sending? What decade does Filedropper think this is? Been a looooong time since I've run into a host that doesn't tell the browser the size of the file. Check out 4shared Free account gets you 15 gigabytes of space. You can select multiple files from other users' shared folders then save as a B1 file directly to your folder. Then you can download files from your account without the 20 second delay. 'Course you have to get the free B1 archive program, which is available for Mac, Win and Linux. Just uncheck the boxes to install the toolbar and change your homepage etc. :-P